We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First timer questions. Help please!

Plano, Texas
Level Contributor
325 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
First timer questions. Help please!

I'm trying to plan a special trip for a 15 year wedding anniversary. I've been looking at beach destinations all over the Caribbean and Mexico, but something about the small town, laid back style of Harbour Island keeps calling to me. I'm really interested in the Ocean View Club, but can't seem to find much info on this resort, let alone recent reviews. It looks very funky chic, which I really like. And it seems the only way to book with them is directly via email or a phone call? Can anyone recommend or tell me about their experience with this hotel? Or should I just book with the more popular Rock House or Dunmore? There is definitely more info out there about them.

In regards to dining, I don't mind splurging on dinners, but we aren't celebrity rich and don't want to blow thousands on food for the week. Are there reasonable places to eat for breakfast and lunch? I keep reading about Queen Conch and Arthur's Bakery, what is the pricing like at places like these? Or what can I expect at the above mentioned hotels?

Lastly, do we really need to rent a golf cart? My husband and I are regular walkers/runners, and usually do a minimum of 5 miles a day. We don't mind the physical aspect of walking everywhere, but is it safe to be walking back to the hotel after dinner or going out for drinks at night?

Rensselaer IN
Level Contributor
6 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First timer questions. Help please!

I would recommend you get a resort that's on the water. We stayed at Coral Sands and it was excellent. We never ate there because there are so many other great places to eat on the island. You won't be spending much time in the room because the beach is absolutely amazing. Its a quiet and relaxing island. I would get a golf cart if I were you. After you book your stay have the resort book the cart for you that way its there when you arrive. Yes the island is small and we like to walk as well but you will find yourself really enjoying the cruising around. Make it a point to get off some of the beaten paths. Now I must warn you that nothing is cheap in the Bahamas but your on vaca so enjoy yourself. A cheap place to eat breakfast and especially lunch is Dunmore Deli. Head to the sunset resort for the sunsets and a cocktail. They have live music and its a good time. Make sure you have dinner at the Landing at least once. Try the steak. Sip sip is excellent but you will drop $70 for lunch if you get a cocktail. The nightlife on the island is quite an experience in itself. There is kind of a lull between 8:00 and 11:00 and then you need to follow the golf carts to the hotspots. You start at one bar/club and then all at once the whole place shuts down and everyone and I mean everyone including the D/J head to the next stop. Its a great time. Walking at night is kind of at your own risk, Its safe there but keep in mind that not all of us are used to driving on the opposite side of the road and intoxicated on top of that. The island is full of very friendly people from all over the world and you won't feel like just a tourist here. Hope this is helpful

Plano, Texas
Level Contributor
325 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First timer questions. Help please!

Thanks for the info jgflys! I guess we should just plan on getting a golf cart. I know we won't be in the room much, but I am super picky about hotel rooms and really want it to be nice for our anniversary. Have you been to or heard anything about The Ocean View Club? It is top on my list of places to stay based on what I can see of the very limited information out there about it.

Tallahassee, Florida
Level Contributor
1,156 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First timer questions. Help please!

The beach at Ocean View is beautiful. I think it is next door to Sip-Sip. Dinner at Coral Sands was excellent, but it was $100 at least. It was our special occasion meal. Lots of casual inexpensive take-away type places to eat lunch/early dinner. Have at least drinks at the Blue Bar at Pink Sands. We stayed in a house, so we cooked our own food a few nights. Hope this helps. Runaway Hill is a beautiful beachfront hotel as well.

Rensselaer IN
Level Contributor
6 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First timer questions. Help please!

I'm very picky as well when it comes to the room I'm staying in. For the dates we had to travel Coral Sands was the only thing available. We both go for the boutique hotels and this was a pleasant surprise for us. The island itself gives off a great vibe and everyone fits well together. Just call the resorts your looking at directly and see if they have anything available. I did book our stay through expedia and it was a little bit cheaper. Be prepared for a little sticker shock with $6 to $12 bottles of water but remember your on vacation so just worry about it when you get home. We did have brunch at Coral Sand once and only once for a reason YUCK!!!! it tasted like a microwaved mess. Follow trip advisor when it comes to your dining selections. Just have your concierge make reservations for you as well. Have fun

Plano, Texas
Level Contributor
325 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First timer questions. Help please!

Sounds like the prices we encountered on our honeymoon in St. Maarten. We were young and a bit sticker shocked to say the least. More travel experience under our belts in 15 years makes a difference :) Just want to be prepared and know how to budget. Thanks for all the help.

Oklahoma
Level Contributor
162 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First timer questions. Help please!

I visited Harbor Island a couple of years ago and it was quite different than I expected. I pictured strolling down the streets of a cute small town with little shops etc but the reality was loud golf carts buzzing around and lots of people everywhere! We enjoyed the day but were very very happy to go back to Eleuthera at the end of a busy day. Just want to give to give you a friendly warning.

Monmouth Beach, NJ
Level Contributor
42 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: First timer questions. Help please!

In Harbour Island now.

Arthurs Bakery breakfast sandwich: About $13

Dunmore Deli breakfast sandwich: About $8; Lunch sandwich: About $12

Queen Conch: Conch salad: $12

Sands Light Beer: $2.50 at Beyond The Reef. Consequently, that's all I can remember.

Nassau, New...
Level Contributor
356 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: First timer questions. Help please!

@tdelano - (post #15) - a lot, I think, depends on the time of year you go. Like everywhere!

That said, I really like Hope Town better than Harbour Island. Next time?!? :)

Plano, Texas
Level Contributor
325 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: First timer questions. Help please!

I appreciate the help you guys. However, I think we've decided to go to Turks and Caicos instead. We've decided to do an adults only couples trip with some friends. It seems like TCI will be a better fit for this trip. Maybe we'll get to Harbour Island eventually one day.

10. Re: First timer questions. Help please!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, April 22, 2015
Get answers to your questions about Harbour Island