We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip to Harbour Island

chicago
Level Contributor
205 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Trip to Harbour Island

Will be at the Atlantis end of January and wanted to plan a trip to Harbour Island for 2 or 3 nights. Were flying from Chicago to Nassua and not quite sure how to get to the island and back. Help?

Also, looking at Rock House and Runaway Hill Club - any thoughts are which is better. We are a couple in our early 50 who love to explore, walk, bike, relax and enjoy a great meal with a couple of good drinks.

Thanks

Barrie, Canada
Level Contributor
38 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip to Harbour Island

There is a ferry that leaves daily I believe from Nassau - http://www.bahamasferries.com/ - that I have been looking at myself. I cannot comment on the best place to stay.

Windsor, Canada
Destination Expert
for Eleuthera
Level Contributor
1,967 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip to Harbour Island

The high speed ferry is a good option. There are also lots of flights from Nassau into North Eleuthera airport. From ELH it is a 5 minute taxi ride and then 5 minute water taxi to Harbour Island. The flight is about 20 minutes, mostly 19 seat older Beechcraft planes, and there are some good prices lately.

chicago
Level Contributor
205 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip to Harbour Island

Thanks for the information. I looked into southern air charter and pineapple air. On pineapple air website they do talk about overbooking which is a cause for concern. I am thinking flying on southern air might be better than taking the boat over. Has anyone used southern charter. Are they dependable and on time. Also, how much luggage can we bring on the plane and once we land at North Eleuthera airport do we need advance reservations to get a cab and then to catch a boat over to Harbour Island. Also am thinking about coming back on a Sunday.

Thank you

Windsor, Canada
Destination Expert
for Eleuthera
Level Contributor
1,967 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip to Harbour Island

Southern and Pineapple seem pretty reliable lately, and my flights are often early. The last time that I took Pineapple from Eleuthera to Nassau everyone was on the plane early so they landed in Nassau before they were due to leave Eleuthera. I was not aware of an overbooking issue. I think it is two pieces per person.

The boat is an adventure, but it takes longer and once you factor in all costs it's not much cheaper.

There should be taxis waiting at the airport and water taxis ready at the pier.

Nassau, New...
Level Contributor
4,905 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip to Harbour Island

If you are already at Atlantis, the ferry is 5 minutes away and takes you directly to Harbour island. If you fly, the airport is 40 minutes away (average time with traffic) and the flight only takes you to North Eleuthera. From there, it is a 5 minute taxi ride, and 8 minute boat ride to Harbour island. Costwise, it runs about the same.

If you are leaving directly for the US after returning to Nassau, it might make sense to take the ferry over from Atlantis/Paradise Island, and return to Nassau from North Eleuthera. One way tickets are common and don't add to the fare significantly.

Rock House is a nice option, and though I'm personally not a fan of Runaway Hill Club, there are some good reviews. Another option is Coral Sands, which sits right on the lovely beach in a garden setting with all the amenities. Harbour Island is small enough to walk around happily, though it is easy to rent a golf cart to explore furher afield.

New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Paradise Island
Level Contributor
6,534 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip to Harbour Island

Dusty-traveller:

I explained everything you stated just above to

laldesigner in this person's other msg thread

about this situation yesterday. I think this

person is totally confused by the answers

and his/her options.

chicago
Level Contributor
205 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip to Harbour Island

Wow Tigervette. I'm not confused, just trying to understand all my options. I should of started on the Harbour Island forum yesterday. I have never been to the bahamas before and I want to understand all my options before making any final decisions. I appreciate all the other advise about the ferries/plane. I feel that I am more informed than yesterday. I thought people on this forum might have more insight. Once again, I'm sorry if I troubled you -- I wasn't trying to be a pain - I just don't want any surprises!!

Nassau, New...
Level Contributor
4,905 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip to Harbour Island

Laldesigner, no apology necessary. If you have not been to the Bahamas before, it can be confusing as to what all the options are, so ask, ask and ask whatever you need to. There are enough people on this board who have answers and are willing to share opinions that you will soon have more information than you really needed!

Too many people come to the Bahamas, go to Atlantis, then go home thinking they have actullly seen the Bahamas. For some, that is enough. You're already past that point.

I'm a Bahamian who has lived in the Bahamas for over 40 years, and I always appreciate a tip on a new restaurant, hotel or just a new place to check out. And this is my own backyard!

chicago
Level Contributor
205 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Trip to Harbour Island

Thank you so much for your kind post :). I truly want to explore the Bahamas and although I'm sure I will enjoy Atlantis, I know that I will not get the true experience of the Bahamas. By reading the Harbour Island posts I'm sure it will be a great experience and adventure in trying to get there with all our luggage. We will be at the Atlantis on business (suits/cocktail dresses).

Have a great week-end.

Windsor, Canada
Destination Expert
for Eleuthera
Level Contributor
1,967 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Trip to Harbour Island

Harbour Island is very nice and of course much different from Nassau and Atlantis. However it is small, upscale, and much more densely populated than other parts of the out islands. If you are going to fly into North Eleuthera you could consider having a rental car dropped of at the airport and having a drive around Eleuthera before heading to Harbour Island. Eleuthera is much larger and less populated, with wonderful deserted beaches, friendly people, and would give you more of a feel for the out islands.

Get answers to your questions about Harbour Island