We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Crime in Harbour Island

Which Harbour Island hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
WW
Boston
2 posts
Save Topic
Crime in Harbour Island

I read that 8 robberies occurred on Harbour Island last week and a man from Conn. was hacked with a machete at Tinghum Village.

I have been going there for a number of years and have been aware of occasional break- ins of houses, but this seems to be a new level.

Does anyone have any information or comments on this subject?

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
1,570 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Crime in Harbour Island

Zenith you say ""Read the facts and statistics about the real dangers on Harbour Island""

I am still waiting for you to provide any facts or statistics

Windsor, Canada
Destination Expert
for Eleuthera
Level Contributor
1,863 posts
Save Reply
22. Re: Crime in Harbour Island

Zenith, I am sorry to hear that you had problems on Harbour Island. The incidence of violent crime on Harbour Island, and all of the out islands of the Bahamas, is extremely low, which makes it all the more shocking when it does occur.

Miami Beach, Florida
12 posts
Save Reply
23. Re: Crime in Harbour Island

Go online and do your own research. The facts and statistics are all there if you look beyond your rose colored glasses. Add the high rate of AIDS, human trafficking, prostitution, child prostitution in Harbour Island and in the Bahamas. Miami is far from perfect but we don't cover up our ills and mislead tourists.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
1,570 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: Crime in Harbour Island

as suspected, no facts or stastitics to back the conspiracy theories and unsubstantiated claims and rantings.

nassau
Level Contributor
3,222 posts
Save Reply
25. Re: Crime in Harbour Island

Nobody will dispute that there is a crime problem in the Bahamas, but then again where isn't there one. But the Bahamas isn't like some Mexican border town, and I haven't heard of foreigners being kidnapped and held for ransom, and last I checked we don't have car bombings, or IED's along the roads. There is a HIV/Aids problem, but not at the scope of other countries in the region or in Africa. Then again why would that matter to a tourist? Sounds a bit discremantory. Human and drug trafficking...no argument there. But who are the persons doing it? Look at a map and you will see that the Bahamas is located between the countries that these persons come from and the US mainland. Perhaps your research hasn't turned up the numbers of Haitian, Jamaican, and Cuban citizens that are apprehended by the Bahamian authorities at sea, and sent back to their countries. Child prostitution??? Where did you get this from? That's almost as good as your earlier claims of tourists being raped all the time, house burnings, and overall hatred of white people. I guess we can blame Bush and or Obama for all of this. How about we call in the bombers and just nuke the whole country. Well going to put my rose colored glasses on, polish my AK-47, go burn some crosses, put my pimp hat on, and get my HIV infected underage whooes ready for the day.

Miami Beach, Florida
12 posts
Save Reply
26. Re: Crime in Harbour Island

Harbour Island is a Mexican bordertown and a third world country with the exception of a handful of resorts. The way 001 traveler001 and wwbev711 see it crime in the Bahamas is the fault of Mexicans, Haitians, Jamaicans, US Presidents , the fault of all except for Bahamians and Harbur Islanders who break into tourists rooms, rob tourists, burn down the homes of vacationing residents, and rape tourists. Tourists must read Harbour Island's own message boards at briland.com before visiting and be cautious when visiting. I would not vacation in Compton or the southside of Chicago if there were palm trees and beaches.

Apr 17th 2010, 05:11:01 pm

Not Cool My Girlfriend was drugged and raped on Briland two months ago and the Malicious Rapist is still walking the streets and preying on other woman.

The Police have not yet arrested him and I am appalled by thei lack of action and also that his friends and family find what he did perfectly acceptable.

I would have thought that in a small community like Briland, some upstanding individual would have done something about this as surely the Island stands for better morals???

London
Level Contributor
257 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
27. Re: Crime in Harbour Island

Evening all...

I just come back from my summer hols (delightful trip to the South of France if you must know and off to the Italian lakes next week, lucky me) to find all hell has broken loose on the usually charming and helpful HI forum (bit like the Harbour Island really).

Now Zenith34439, I hate to say it but you have all the hallmarks of a troll (in that you joined recently, have never posted a review or anything other than on the one subject of Harbour Island). If you have been a victim of crime then I am very very sorry for you but my experience of the island is a world apart from what you describe. Apart from the incident earlier this year, the majority of crime is the occasional pilfering by teenagers (the sort who would scarper at the first sign of being spotted not ones who would turn on you with a knife).

I have travelled extensively in the world (including being accidentally caught up in 1994 Zapatista revolution in San Cristobal de las Casas and travelling around Sri Lanka during the conflict) and have to say that Harbour Island is one of the friendliest, most relaxed places I have been to. Would I feel happy walking down some streets of Kingston, Jamaica at night? No, of course not. Would I feel happy to walk anywhere on Harbour Island at midnight? Yes, absolutely. In fact, we took my mother out last time we were there and I was happy for her to go out as well.

So, people thinking about going to Harbour Island, don't let this chain in the forum frighten you off. It is a lovely small friendly island and as long as you have an once of nouse/common sense you will have a lovely holiday. Yes, of course the islanders want your money but no they are not going to take it off you from knifepoint nor are they going to rip you off like some stallholder in the souk in Marrakech (although I suppose you could say a golf cart rental at the same price as a normal car rental is pretty steep, it is the price of being in the middle of nowhere).

Best wishes

MrFickle

Edited: 3:53 pm, September 07, 2010
Gastonia, North...
Level Contributor
3,352 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
28. Re: Crime in Harbour Island

obviously this zenith34439 person is just wanting to rile us up and cause an on-going argument. why doesn't everyone just leave this thread alone and it will stop showing up as a recent post on the Harbour Island forum?

nassau
Level Contributor
3,222 posts
Save Reply
29. Re: Crime in Harbour Island

Amen.

30. Re: Crime in Harbour Island

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:35 am, March 07, 2011
Get answers to your questions about Harbour Island