We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rock House Resort - Need Advice!

las vega, nv
Level Contributor
490 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Rock House Resort - Need Advice!

OK, I've been researching a lot and the Rock House looks really good. Has anyone been there recently? Any comments, good or bad? How close is the private beach? Is it located close to other restaurants?

New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Paradise Island
Level Contributor
6,843 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Rock House Resort - Need Advice!

I have ridden by the Rock House Resort and restaurant numerous times on my golf cart in the last two years.

The reviews I recall are good here on this site.

Unfortunately or fortunately depending on your preferences, the Rock House is located on the 'bay' side of Harbour Island a few hundred feet down the street from the Government Dock where the ferry ties up.

The beach is on the 'Atlantic' side of the island. The island is about 1/2 mile

wide and there is a steep hill to the crest and down to the other side.

If you don't rent a golf cart to get around, it's a grueling walk from one side of the island to the other.

The island is only 3 miles long. Most of the restaurants are located in the center of the island called Dunmore Town. Numerous restaurants along the bay side road and over by the ocean side at the various resorts.

Mentioned in this post
Dunmore Town
Dunmore Town
Harbour Island
nyc
9 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Rock House Resort - Need Advice!

Rock House is, plain and simple ... a great place to stay.

It has it all, including a first rate restaurant and a great staff willing to do anything to make your stay memorable.

You could not ask for anything more.

And I disagree, the walk to the beach is anything but 'grueling"!!

Go for it!!

London
Level Contributor
257 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rock House Resort - Need Advice!

I personally like the bayside hotels of the Rock House and the Landing. Both have great restaurants (the Landing the better of the two IMHO and easily the best on the island if you like the fusion style dishes they serve in part on their menu - Ken, you are a genius!).

I also agree the trip from the Rock House to the Sip Sip entrance to the beach isn't particularly gruelling, although you are bound to rent a cart just to explore the island.

Just so you are clear (as you mention the Rock House private beach), there is no such thing on HI, the place is tiny and relaxed. No big resorts, no OTT pretentiousness, just simple island living. The beach stretches the whole of the east side of HI and is public. The Rock House chairs are located right below Sip Sip and next to Ocean View (which you were enquiring about the other day).

Mentioned in this post
Sip Sip
Sip Sip
420 Reviews
Harbour Island
Toronto
Level Contributor
1,187 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rock House Resort - Need Advice!

Rock House is absolutely wonderful! We stayed there a couple of years ago. It's an impecably maintained boutique hotel with tons of charm and the staff go above and beyond to ensure you enjoy your stay. Restaurants are within walking distance or a very short cart ride away. The beach is breathtaking and it's great that they have their own little set-up with beach loungers and umbrellas as well as a cooler with water. I recommend renting a golf cart. It's so much fun to bop around the island on it. Harbour Island is an absolute gem of an island. Paradise!

New Jersey
Level Contributor
424 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rock House Resort - Need Advice!

Girlfriend getaway at the Rock House seems to be the way to go...we're trying to escape and there is availability for our dates....hmmmm. We've sort of gravitated to smaller, boutique-style places and this island looks great, love the golf-carts...can we hop around for a drink and lunch here and there during the day and is getting around at night do-able with a cab?

London
Level Contributor
257 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Rock House Resort - Need Advice!

Hi there

Everyone uses golf-carts all the time. Although there are a couple of taxis on the island (eg Reggie), you won't be using them at night, you will be carting to dinner etc...(although staying at the Rock House will mean that you have the best restaurant on the island next door to you - The Landing - so getting home won't be much of a problem!!)

Harbour Island is a perfect place for a getaway. You will love it.

Boston...
Level Contributor
2 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Rock House Resort - Need Advice!

I have been going to Harbour Island for 30 Years. I chose to celebrate my 50 birthday at the Rock House. It is elegant, great pool and fantastic service. Bar and restaurant are one of the best on the island. You will want to rent a golf cart regardless of where you stay on the island. Short ride to Sip Sip and beach on the Atlantic, (Carribean) where the Rock house has it's own private area on the pink sands beach. Highly recommended. Pretty expensive. Other places that are also good on the beach are Pink Sands, Dunmore Beach Club and Coral Sands. You can't go wrong with the Rock House - my favorite place and I've stayed in them all. Only draw back is no view of the ocean from your porch.

Mentioned in this post
Sip Sip
Sip Sip
420 Reviews
Harbour Island
8. Re: Rock House Resort - Need Advice!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 am, September 17, 2010
Get answers to your questions about Harbour Island