We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

sunsets, water temps, privacy

ADK Mountains
2 posts
Save Topic
sunsets, water temps, privacy

We are looking at Harbour Island for our next spring break, first 2 weeks in April. I teach HS and do not want to be where there are lots of kids.

We love sunsets, and being as close to the water as possible. We do not like the big, multi-story resorts. And, a pool is a must for us.

Any recommendations? What is water temp like in April? We live on my teacher's salary and my husband is retired, so we are looking for value.

Any references on renting a villa/home for 2 weeks? Is renting a car important?

Are there any all-inclusive deals?

Thank you!

Mentioned in this post
Harbour Island
Harbour Island
Out Islands
Rock House
Rock House
#1 of 9 hotels in Harbour Island
The Dunmore Hotel & Residences
The Dunmore Hotel & Residences
#1 of 1 hotels in Dunmore Town
Valentines Resort and Marina
Valentines Resort and Marina
#3 of 9 hotels in Harbour Island
Florida
Level Contributor
31 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: sunsets, water temps, privacy

Hello,

I haven't been there, so the only thing I can help you out with is that I do not think you can rent a car. I think the island is small enough that they only use golf carts, so I think even if you rented a villa and wanted to rent something it might be bikes or a golf cart. Good luck!

New Orleans, LA
8 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: sunsets, water temps, privacy

The island is very small and you really don't need a car but you can rent a golf cart if you'd like. There is not much to do here but relax. It is a bit pricey, not really for the "budget" travelr but it is worth saving up for. My husband and I have been going to Harbour Island for 20 years and have enjoyed staying at Runaway Hill. I hear Coral Sands is very nice also. They both have websites. Good luck!

Mentioned in this post
Harbour Island
Harbour Island
Out Islands
Coral Sands Hotel
Coral Sands Hotel
452 Reviews
Harbour Island
miami
10 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: sunsets, water temps, privacy

Harbour Island is one of the prettiest places ive been to in the bahamas. The pink sand is some of the best sand Ive ever seen and ive traveled all over the world, australia, Fiji, thailand, ect... Buget travel is not harbour island though. Everything is pretty expensive. The house we rented for the week was 2 thousand for a week and had 2 bedrooms that had conditioned air but the main room did not and it was very hot this last week. The house was on the beach but was not on the dune over looking that famous 3 mile long beach. others were probably more expensive. You dont need a car, it is a 3 by half a mile long island. Im not even sure why locals have cars. Golf carts are the way to go and they are over 200 for the week. The restaurants are somewhat pricey and so are supplies. This island has been visited by julia roberts, jimmy buffet, michelle phifer, and the like. Again, my mom is a school teacher and i know the budget of one if you are on your own. It is a beautiful island but expensive and exclusive. hope this helped and sorry for the poor grammer, just in a hurry to help.

Mentioned in this post
Harbour Island
Harbour Island
Out Islands
Get answers to your questions about Harbour Island