We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

HI to Nassau

Which Harbour Island hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
NewJersey
Level Contributor
4 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
HI to Nassau

We have stayed at the Ocean Club quite a few times. However, this time we are taking the advice of some hotel staff and this summer we will spend some time on Harbour Island. We are flying int Ft. Lauderdale and taking a small plane to North Eleuthera. We are staying at Coral Sands for a week. Then we will go back to the Ocean Club for a week. My question is, which is the best way to travel back to Nassau? Should I go with the ferry or BahamasAir? I would go with BA because its quick, affording me to get over to nassau and not lose much of the day. If I take the ferry, I don't get in until the evening. I just don't know what to expect. Any thoughts? By the way, we are a family of four - my husband and I, and two kids (ages 16 and 8). Any info at all will be much appreciated!

London
Level Contributor
257 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: HI to Nassau

Dear Leckfamily

Firstly, I am sure you will have a fantastic time on harbour island. Make sure you search this forum for recommendations of where to eat etc (Sip Sip/Landing/Dunmore Deli...)

The ferry leaves HI, from memory, at around 4. This does mean that you have most of the day on the beach and then just a couple of hours on the ferry. Also bear in mind that the ferry docks in town which is a bit closer to the Ocean Club.

Re flights, you have a number of options. Fly scheduled on Bahamas Air (around 9ish am or 4ish pm) or Southern Air (which seems to be the preferred carrier on this board, it is definitely mine first thing in the morning 8?, lunchtime, and 4ish). Cost for the four of you will be around $250. Alternatively you could charter a plane, the cost of which would be $400/500ish but you could choose the time of the flight.

When you arrive in ELH, you will see that the airport is only one room and the time from getting off the plane to harbour island will be only 30/40 min (including taxi to dock, speedboat to HI).

My recommendation would therefore be, if you want to get to Nassau in the morning, use Southern Air or Bahamas Air (bearing in mind that Bahamas Air have an appalling punctuality record) both of which will mean an early start tho. For a more leisurely trip, go with the Bo Hengy ferry. That means that you most of the day on HI and are not missing to much sun!

Hope this helps

Enjoy!

NewJersey
Level Contributor
4 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: HI to Nassau

Mr. Fickle - Thank you so much for the information you posted. This is exactly what I needed. We just have to figure out if we want to spend more of the last day on HI and then taking the Ferry or maybe going Southern Air. All the tips are helpful. I have been scouring this forum to get all the info I can for HI. We are quite excited - I know June will be here before I know it. Thanks again!

Karen

Dallas, TX
Level Contributor
263 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: HI to Nassau

My husband and I took the BoHengy on our trip from Atlantis to HI last June. I highly recommend it. It was low stress and quite an enjoyable ferry ride. I second the previous post to avoid BahamasAir. We had previously booked with them and then ran into a nightmare trying to get confirmation of our flight and then our money back after we canceled our flight. Avoid the stress and fly SouthernAir or take the BoHengy.

HI is amazing and a refreshing change from the hustle and bustle of Paradise Island. We loved both parts of our trip and hopefully you and your family will too!

NewJersey
Level Contributor
4 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: HI to Nassau

Thank you Princess. Can you all tell me is the BoHengy the Bahamas Fast Ferry? I just want to make sure I book with the right company.

sc
Level Contributor
740 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: HI to Nassau

yes

6. Re: HI to Nassau

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:22 am, August 24, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Harbour Island