We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bus Service to Bathsheba

Atlantic City, New...
Level Contributor
20 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Bus Service to Bathsheba

We will be in Barbados for one day in October on a cruise stop. On past stops we have just gone into Bridgetown to do a little shopping, stop at the Waterfront for an ale or shandy and visit with other tourists or ex-patriots. Barbados is one of our favorite stops and this time I would like to see more of the island. We are not big fans of tours and are not really into beaches as such. I think I have decided that taking the bus to Bathsheba would be really interesting and scenic. However, I need more information on some of the details. I believe the bus we would need would depart from the Fairchild street bus terminal? Once in Bathsheba, how easy is it to get to the Soup Bowl? Also, how would you get transportation to the beach at Bath. Although I have been searching the forums I haven't quite determined if what I would like is doable. We have used public transportation in other islands and have no issues with it, and from everything I have read Barbados has a very good bus system. Any and all information and suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

9 replies to this topic
Barbados
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
5,349 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bus Service to Bathsheba

http://www.transportboard.com/

in the "plan your trip" area type in Bathsheba.

this page should show you the round from the Fairchild Street terminal to Bathsheba and return. There is a stop right at the Soup Bowl, so you should have a problem finding it.

Please remember this is not a short ride and if you ship leaves at 5pm, you will not have much time in Bathsheba.

Bath is a whole other story.. only a Bus on Sundays that goes down the hill at Bath.... there is NO service between the Bathsheba and Bath and you would actually have to come back to Bridgetown to go back out to Bath.

my recommendation, even though it's not want you want to do, if you want to see the island and both of these places, get a taxi.. fix a per hour price and go for it. 35-50.00usd per hour but try to fix a rate based on 3 or 4 hours of their time.. and they will stay with you for the whole journey.

Barbados
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
17,345 posts
368 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bus Service to Bathsheba

njgem

Bathsheba gets an hourly service from Fairchild Street and the journey takes 45 mins each way. If you only wanted to visit Bathsheba the bus would be fine, but if you are considering Bath as well, go with Sunniebgi's suggestion and take a taxi. Much more convenient as no bus runs between Bathsheba and Bath. You could easily take the 9am Bathsheba, be at the Soup Bowl by 9:45am, and return on the 2pm Bridgetown bus which gets you back into the city at 2:45pm, enough time for your 5pm departure time.

Hope this helps

Regards

Atlantic City, New...
Level Contributor
20 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bus Service to Bathsheba

Sunniebgi and BGIWorldTraveler,

Thank you for your posts. I have read many of your previous posts- so I knew you would be spot on with your advice. If we decide to do the bus, it will be to Bathsheba only and at least I know we will be able to stop right at the Soup Bowl from the bus. Fortunately, the ship departure is 6:00 so we probably do not have to board until 5:00 or 5:30 if we are lucky. If we are back in Bridgetown at 2:45 we will still have time to stop in the pharmacy in town (stock up on chocolates) and Cave Shepherd. Somewhere I read that the shops close at 4:00 pm on Saturdays. Once again, thank you for your response.

Barbados
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
17,345 posts
368 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bus Service to Bathsheba

njgem

Sounds like a good plan. You've done quite a bit of research.

Regards

Save Reply
5. Re: Bus Service to Bathsheba

Is it possible to hike from Bathsheba to st martins bay?? What sort of distance are we talking

Thanks so in anticipation!!

Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
9,868 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bus Service to Bathsheba

Yes, it's possible but they are very narrow roads, quite hilly. About 10 km more or less. You should have a good map.

Prague, Czech...
Level Contributor
72 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bus Service to Bathsheba

It is possible and well worth it. The hike along the coast (along the old train tracks) is absolutely beautiful. The coastal track is a narrow path that can be a bit overgrown by grass in places and you can loop back on the road (this part would have hills and is a bit less interesting but lets you see other places as well) or come back the same way. Maps tell me it's 4.7 km on the road and I'd say it is a bit less (maybe by a third?) along the coast. I've done a 10km, 3 hour loop (very slowly paced) from Bathsheba to Martins Bay and all the way to the end of Bathsheba and back to where we started. I think you could get it down to 2 hours if you looped back to Bathsheba the shortest way or walked a bit faster. I can share my tracked hike if you want, so you can see which way to go but it is fairly easy to find.

Save Reply
8. Re: Bus Service to Bathsheba

Thanks all. That sounds easily manageable!

Charleston, West...
Level Contributor
1 post
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Bus Service to Bathsheba

Greetings I'm headed back to Barbados this Dec., on the Caribbean Princess. Looking at trying to find the best way to and from Bathsheba(The Soup Bowl) and back without missing the ship at 5pm, exactly like one of the previous posts had stated. We did an island tour back in 2010 on the Emerald Princess, did the Calypso Catamaran tour last time it was great, I was just trying to pull off Bathsheba with as much time possible on the beach and getting back to the port without missing our ship.

We are there on Sunday Dec. 2nd, so if I was at the Fairchild St. Terminal before 9am caught the 9am bus to Bathsheba, and was at the Bathsheba bus stop around say 1:50pm Sunday afternoon, I could easily get back to the ship by 5pm?? With spending several hours on the beach. You think the 3pm bus back to the ship is pushing it?? I did this on St. John our taxi got caught in traffic they held the ship for about 10 of us for about 7 minutes, I got read the riot act by our cruise director, really never want to go through that again. Thanks for an help Todd

Reply to: Bus Service to Bathsheba
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Bathsheba