We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is this a good plan for a 3 day stay?

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
31 posts
112 reviews
Save Topic
Is this a good plan for a 3 day stay?

Hello!

We plan to visit the Finger Lakes for three days in late September.

We are a retired couple from Belgium and during our stay we would like to limit to a minimum the time spent in our car and be out and about as much as possible.

Does the itinerary below include all the “must do’s”?

Are we trying to do too much on the Thursday?

We imagine that Ithaca would be the best place to choose as our base, but if there are other options, please let us know! If we choose an hotel outside of Ithaca, would parking in the downtown be expensive and or difficult?

Are there any dedicated cycle paths in the area?

WEDNESDAY 25 September: Corning Glass Museum; arrive Finger Lakes

THURSDAY 26: Explore on foot downtown Ithaca, Botanical gardens, Marine park and either Robert Treman Park or Buttermilk Falls

FRIDAY 27: Explore the west bank of Cayuga Lake, visit a few wineries and “do” Taughannock Falls

SATURDAY 28: Farmers Market in the morning, Skaneateles in the afternoon

Sunday 29: departure

Thanks in advance for taking time on this holiday weekend to reply!

Irondequoit, New...
Level Contributor
631 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is this a good plan for a 3 day stay?

That's a pretty good plan. Parking *may* be difficult, but not expensive. There's a garage off The Commons, plus lots of other places to park in the downtown area.

You can easily do Treman AND Buttermilk - you drive about 3-4 minutes past Buttermilk to get to Treman. If you decide to do only one, though, I would do Treman. Do those in the AM, then do the botanical gardens, as that's the only one of the options I see that has hour. The rest don't really have closing times, so you can do those afterward.

It also looks like you may have some more time than you think on Friday, depending on how long you spend at the wineries.

On your way from Ithaca to Skaneatales, look at routing through Aurora, NY, nice small town. There's also a fairly unique shop just out of town, Mackenzie-Childs, that you may like. I've noticed opinions are pretty polarized on the style.

Edited: 9:20 am, July 07, 2013
Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
31 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is this a good plan for a 3 day stay?

Thank you mclee19 for your comments. In the light of what you say we will bear in mind that we may have time, after the wineries, to visit Aurora and Skaneatales. In any case, all this planning is theoretical and when we will actually be there we will play things by ear and let circumstances guide us too.

Vestal, New York
Destination Expert
for Auburn, Finger Lakes
Level Contributor
7,482 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is this a good plan for a 3 day stay?

After Corning on your way to Ithaca, consider stopping at Watkins Glen State Park in the town of the same name. It is on the way and well worth a visit even if it wasn't as it is one of the highlights of the area.

I believe there are dedicated bike paths in Ithaca. Parking in Ithaca should not be difficult but be aware that the "Commons" (and downtown in general) is under construction and therefore more congested and less user-friendly than usual. Try to arrive at the Farmers Market fairly early (it starts at 9 AM) to avoid the big crowd and parking challenges that go along with it.

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
31 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is this a good plan for a 3 day stay?

Thank you rjr for your suggestions!

I have seen in other posts several recommendations of Watkins Glen, so we will try and fit that into our itinerary.

I have taken note of what you say about parking and we will make a point of arriving early at the Farmers' Market.

Rochester, New York
Level Contributor
70 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Is this a good plan for a 3 day stay?

Yep, good plan! mclee19 and rjr added a couple of great suggestions. All that's left to do is enjoy!

Ithaca, New York
Level Contributor
679 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is this a good plan for a 3 day stay?

What do you mean Botanical gardens? Is that the Cornell Plantations? I am not sure what other Botanical Gardens there are in the Ithaca area. And what is the Marine Park mentioned? If you mean Allan H. Treman State Marine Park, there's not much there to see. It is just a marina. There won't be many boats in the marina, most people start taking them out the 2nd weekend of September.

If you are looking for lake views, you can find nice ones at Stewart Park in Ithaca. You can get there by bikes, and there is a bike path. www.cayugawaterfronttrail.com/visit_map.php

On your Cayuga Lake West side visit, stop by Cayuga Lake Creamery on Route 89 for yummy local ice cream treats.

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
31 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is this a good plan for a 3 day stay?

Thank you Otto for your helpful comments!

Yes, the botanical gardens refer to the Cornell Plantations and the Marine Park is the Allan H. Treman park. On Google Maps this park is coloured green and we thought that it was a landscaped park on the lake's edge. Knowing that it is just a marina, we will give it a skip and go to Stewart Park.

We are keen cyclists and will check out the bike path along the lake.

I have noted too to stop by the Cayuga Lake Creamery.

Thanks again!

8. Re: Is this a good plan for a 3 day stay?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:19 am, July 13, 2014