We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

So confused Help

1 post
Save Topic
So confused Help

Hi my husband and I are planning a five day trip to Finger Lakes driving from New York City. We would like to go on a wine tour ( we like semi sweet love Italian wine red and white) we would like to stay somewhere central to visit a few places with a lake view and some night entertainment also want to see waterfalls quaint shops and great food. After researching I am so confused please help we need a vacation away the city.

Yellowstone...
Level Contributor
126 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: So confused Help

Suggest you post in Finger Lakes New York.

Irondequoit, New...
Level Contributor
631 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: So confused Help

Ithaca area will have pretty much what you're looking for, though I'm not certain about lakefront accommodations. It is one of the, if not the, larger cities in the Finger Lakes, though it's still small enough to be "quaint".

For waterfalls you have Robert Treman, Buttermilk Falls, and Taughannock Falls, Watkins Glen is a short (30-40 minutes) drive away. You would be on the Cayuga Wine Trailm though you could very, very easily get to the Seneca or Keuka.

Quaint towns... Aurora, NY (with a unique shopping experience, Mackenzie-Childs) is about 30 minutes away, Skaneatales, more quaintness and shops. On the way to Watkins Glen you would go through Trumansburg, nice small twon. You also have The Commons in Ithaca for shopping I would consider more funky, but everyone has differing definitions of these words.

The downside is you are on the southeastern-most corner of the Finger Lakes, but the region is small enough you can get just about anyplace in the region in under an hour (nice drives). Plus.... it's the closest location from NYC.

Ithaca, New York
Level Contributor
103 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: So confused Help

If you like quaint shops, I suggest you try Hammondsport, and that's on Keuka Lake. There are a number of wineries right there and the village has some nice B&Bs. I can't think of any waterfalls there but it does have the Glenn Curtiss Museum. If you drive further up the east side of the lake, you will find other wineries, Esperanza and a their dinner boat on the lake. This is right near Keuka Lake State Park.

Another option is Watkins Glen. The village is not so quaint, but the 19 waterfalls in Watkins Glen State Park are fantastic. It's on Seneca Lake. There are wineries and distilleries around the lake. There is a tour boat at the harbor. There's also a great bike trail (the Catharine Valley Trail) with a trail head at the harbor. There's hotel right at the harbor and b&bs in the village. All this is described in detail on my web site.

As Mclee says, Ithaca is closest to you, but Ithaca has only two wineries within easy driving distance, however, Ports of Ithaca is quite unique with amazing port. (If you've never had it, you will love it.) It has Moosewood (the famous restaurant), 3 state parks with waterfalls, a tour boat on Cayuga Lake and a fantastic farmers' market at Steamboat Landing where you catch the tour boat. As I have said on other posts, the Commons is totally dug up and is being redesigned, though the shops are open. Ithaca is also known for its excellent theatres. But you don't say when you're planning to come.

I'm sure you'll find something you like. And you can always come back again for what you miss this time.

All these places are described in detail on my web site. Use the keyword search.

Ronda Roaring

ILovetheFingerLakes.com

Ithaca, New York
Level Contributor
103 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: So confused Help

Just a slight correction, the winery in Ithaca is Ports of New York.

I assume you're aware that you can come up from New York City by Amtrak or bus and then rent a car. The seats on the bus are as little as $1 (yes)per person from NYC to Binghamton. Just something to keep in mind.

Ronda Roaring

ILovetheFingerLakes.com

Edited: 9:54 pm, July 11, 2013
5. Re: So confused Help

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:19 am, July 13, 2014