We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Suggestions for Fingers Lake trip with toddler

Indianapolis...
10 posts
Save Topic
Suggestions for Fingers Lake trip with toddler

Hello! My husband and I are thinking about visiting the Finger Lakes region this summer with our 2.5 year old son. I have found a place I am interested in renting on Seneca Lake. Our travel dates are pretty flexible (May-Sept) -- is there a month you would recommend? We'd like to be outdoors most of the time and able to get in the water. Is Seneca Lake a good spot for young children -- accessible beaches, water suitable for swimming? I'd like to visit the Museum of Play and maybe a day trip to Niagara Falls. This is our first time in this region, so are there other places we should add to our itinerary -- state parks with playgrounds and trails suitable for toddler? Family-friendly restaurants? I'm also thinking about renting a pontoon boat for a half day -- any recommendations on the best marina/lake? Thank you for your help!

Lodi, New York
Level Contributor
721 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Suggestions for Fingers Lake trip with toddler

Lodi Point State Park on Seneca Lake has a pair of awesome playgrounds! There's also a spray park at Seneca Lake State Park at the north end. The downside of Seneca Lake is that it is very deep so it takes a long time to warm up in the summer. Cayuga Lake warms up a little sooner and Taughannock Falls State Park offers a variety of family-friendly activities, including a nice level trail and short hike to the falls, a playground and a beach with a lifeguard. There are several options for boat rentals at either end of Seneca Lake, but be aware that because the lake is so deep and large conditions can change quite quickly. You'll just want to keep a close eye on the forecast and make sure that you have a marine radio on-board. There a too many family-friendly restaurants to list. Once you have a better idea of your itinerary, etc. we can help you more with those options.

Vestal, New York
Destination Expert
for Auburn, Finger Lakes
Level Contributor
6,585 posts
181 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Suggestions for Fingers Lake trip with toddler

The Cayuga Nature Center (about 5 miles north of Ithaca on Rt 89 on the way to Taughannock Falls) is a fun place for kids. There is a butterfly house in summer and a great tree house as well as lots of easy trails.

Indianapolis...
10 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Suggestions for Fingers Lake trip with toddler

Thank you so much for your help and suggestions!

Irondequoit, New...
Level Contributor
631 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Suggestions for Fingers Lake trip with toddler

Look into Canandaigua, also, especially as it is closer to the side trip(s) you spoke of, Museum of Play (good idea for the youngster) and Niagara Falls. It's not really a necessity, but it could save you 30-90 minutes of driving each way to those destinations.

Canandiagua Inn on the Lake got good reviews from the trainees we sent there, there's a marina right across the street with boat rentals, and a swimming park a very short walking distance away. The other excellent suggestions you already have would be 30-60 minutes from Canandaigua.

5. Re: Suggestions for Fingers Lake trip with toddler

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, April 08, 2014