We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lunch on west side of Seneca Lake?

Branchburg, New...
Level Contributor
78 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Lunch on west side of Seneca Lake?

A group of 8 are planning a wine tour on the west side of Seneca Lake in early Oct,, with stops at Hermann Weimer, Ravines, Red Tail Ridge, Fox Run and Anthony Road. Any suggestions for a nice venue for lunch? Not too expensive, but perhaps with outdoor seating and nice view of lake ... and with ability to enjoy some regional wines. Does the Fox Run Cafe meet these requirements? Any other suggesions?

Oswego Food & History Tours
City Tours, Walking Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Food Tours
Oswego Expeditions
Historical & Heritage Tours, Walking Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Boat Rentals, Kayaking & Canoeing
Keuka Overlook Wine Cellars
Sightseeing Tours, Wineries & Vineyards
New Jersey
Level Contributor
152 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Lunch on west side of Seneca Lake?

Your choices are very limited on the west side of Seneca, unless there is something new in the last year. Fox Run is quite casual, think sandwiches and salads, with Fox Run wines, but does indeed have a nice view. There is a fancier place called Veraisons at the Glenora winery but I think it isn't really up to snuff, considering the prices. And if you have good enough taste to visit Wiemer, Ravines, AR, etc., you will probably find Glenora wines an anticlimax. If you are willing to go to Geneva, there are a few more choices, but you won't have lake views, etc.

Branchburg, New...
Level Contributor
78 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lunch on west side of Seneca Lake?

Thanks - NJCyclist your input confirms my research thus far. Cafe at Fox Run does seem too casual and restaurant at Glenora does seem too pricy. Anyone else have any suggestions?

New Jersey
Level Contributor
152 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Lunch on west side of Seneca Lake?

Many people seem to like Port's Cafe, on Rt. 14 just south of Geneva, but no personal experience and it is only open for dinner. In Geneva proper, I've enjoyed the Red Dove and had some good coffee at Opus Cafe (which now appears to have a wine bar too). I have avoided Bellhurst and Geneva on the Lake for a long time, and, judging by recent reviews, it doesn't seem like much has changed. You would have an easier time on the east side of the lake!

Naples, New York
Level Contributor
349 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Lunch on west side of Seneca Lake?

Hi Jerseygirl2959, try...

The Dresden Hotel

http://www.dresdenhotelny.com/

This is right in the area you're talking about.

Rochester, NY
Level Contributor
453 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Lunch on west side of Seneca Lake?

I was going to suggest the Dresden Hotel, though I've never been there - other than Fox Run it is the only lunch option on the West Side that I can think of. I've ate at the Fox Run cafe and wasn't too impressed for the prices. Where are you departing from? My best reccommendation would be packing a picnic and eating at one of the wineries - the views are beautiful and you can pair your lunch with a bottle of your favorite wine! Another possibility since the wineries you list are at the north end of the lake is the lunch buffet at Belhurt Castle - very affordable and a beautiful setting.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
152 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Lunch on west side of Seneca Lake?

The picnic idea isn't a bad one: Anthony Road has nice garden next to their vineyards with a couple picnic tables IIRC.

Corning, New York
Level Contributor
7 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Lunch on west side of Seneca Lake?

Veraisons at the Inn at Glenora has a bar menu too and their options are quite affordable. They offer the best view of the lake and the outdoor dining option. Opus Cafe in downtown Geneva offers delightful lunches and you will often spot winemakers and professors from Hobart grabbing a bite. It doesn't however offer outdoor or lakeside dining.

Seneca Falls, New...
Level Contributor
235 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Lunch on west side of Seneca Lake?

Stop at Wegman's, get some gourmet type picnic foods and enjoy it at a picnic table at one of the wineries. Fox Run's food is excellent.

Opus DOES have outdoor seating in the front, and also in the side ally, they also run the kiosk at Fox Run. So you will find the same food at Fox Run that you find at Opus. If you're going into Geneva, I would recommend Red Dove also. Great brunch, great wine, great cocktails....They are only open for brunch on Sundays though.

9. Re: Lunch on west side of Seneca Lake?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, March 27, 2014