We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Will there be water for the falls?

Halifax, Canada
Level Contributor
44 posts
340 reviews
Save Topic
Will there be water for the falls?

We are thinking about visiting the Finger Lakes area in mid-October and wanted to check that the beautiful falls would be in full force (I was reading a recent Buttermilk review which said there was no water).

Irondequoit, New...
Level Contributor
631 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Will there be water for the falls?

Speaking from personal observation, there was no water over Taughannock Falls last Thursday, and in Rochester (about 90 miles from Ithaca), there has not been any significant rain since then.

However, two things to keep in mind - this is western NY, the rains are going to come (you have two months for more), and the parks and hikes are still very impressive with little or no flow. Mid-October is a great time in the Finger lakes (really, any time is a great time, but that's just me :) ), but if seeing a lot of flow is truly important, you may want to wait until late May/early June. The nature of the gorges keeps them closed over the winter and early spring (ice and loose rocks).

Over the years I've seen various newspaper public opinion polls from Rochesterians and one of the things that surprised me, a little, at least, was that whenever the question is asked, autumn is always listed as the favorite season here. I would have to agree with those masses.

Halifax, Canada
Level Contributor
44 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Will there be water for the falls?

Thanks for the info. We visited in May this year and loved Ithaca and all of the local State Parks, however it was really hot so difficult to take the dog for long walks, which is why we wondered about returning in October when it would hopefully be cooler.

I'm guessing that the Fall colour is pretty spectacular?

Vestal, New York
Destination Expert
for Auburn, Finger Lakes
Level Contributor
6,596 posts
181 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Will there be water for the falls?

Fall color is as good as in Vermont, they just promote it better.

I think by October there will be plenty of water - last September we had a ton and I don't ever remember an autumn where the falls were low (and I've lived in the area all my life).

Around Columbus Day or perhaps the weekend after is when leaves are at their peak.

Halifax, Canada
Level Contributor
44 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Will there be water for the falls?

Thanks. Sounds like even if there hasn't been a lot of rainfall it would be worth a visit.

Ithaca, New York
Level Contributor
103 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Will there be water for the falls?

We had a big rain last night and are heading into the rainy season. By October everything should be back to normal.

Ronda Roaring

ILovetheFingerLakes.com

6. Re: Will there be water for the falls?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:17 pm, August 20, 2013