We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Top "Must See" Finger Lakes Wineries

Pennyslvannia
Level Contributor
41 posts
52 reviews
Save Topic
Top "Must See" Finger Lakes Wineries

We'll be traveling through the Finger Lakes in Aug. Starting at Honeoye Lake and traveling East to Canandaigua, Keuka, Seneca and Cayuga Lakes. We'd love to stop at a few wineries along the way. I'm a big Riesling & Gewurztraminer drinker! Not looking to spend a lot of time tasting/touring, but would love to stop in, pick up a few bottles or Riesling/Gewurztraminer and maybe grab lunch/dinner. Great views/scenery or creative wine types wines are a plus! Anyone have any suggestions for "must see" wineries that fit our criteria?

Penn Yan, New York
Level Contributor
3 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Top "Must See" Finger Lakes Wineries

If you add Anthony Road to your list, Fox Run is about 2 miles north of them. They have a great Riesling history and about 7 different ones currently available. They are both on the west side of Semeca Lake, 10 miles south of Geneva.

Ithaca, New York
Level Contributor
103 posts
Save Reply
12. Re: Top "Must See" Finger Lakes Wineries

You have time to read Evan Dawson's book Summer in a Glass. I highly recommend it. He is also the Finger Lakes correspondent for the New York Cork report. http://newyorkcorkreport.com/ He and James Molesworth www.winespectator.com/blogs/archive/id/20 have their fingers on the pulse of wine in the FLX more than anyone you would encounter on TripAdvisor. But ultimately, you have to make your own decisions based on your palate and your wallet.The most extensive list of wineries, breweries and distilleries in the FLX is here: ilovethefingerlakes.com/entertainment/wineri…

Ronda Roaring

ILovetheFingerLakes.com

Bristol, Connecticut
Level Contributor
8 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Top "Must See" Finger Lakes Wineries

I'm thinking about planning a trip to the Finger Lakes next weekend. My wife and I are red wine drinkers. Which vineyards have the best reds? Since we would be up there for two days - I'd like to have a tasting at a few vineyards with fantastic views - any reccomendations? Are there other excurisions up that way?

J M
New York City, New...
2 posts
Save Reply
14. Re: Top "Must See" Finger Lakes Wineries

Pleasant Valley (Great Western) winery just south of Hammondsport on Keuka is an experience unto itself. Nowhere else in NY will you have the opportunity to tour a truly old US winery. The 150 year old buildings are literally carved into the hillside and the tour goes right into the belly of this 1860s treasure.. Truly an "old -school" experience. The aroma of the fermenting wine in the holding cellar will linger in your olfactory for a lifetime. This is a gem of a tour. No other winery in the Fingerlakes has anything remotely close. if you prefer a tasting room with a big bright gift shop, there are plenty of choices. If you want to experience how wine was made 150 years ago, go to Pleasant Valley Winery. You'll wish you could bottle the aroma of the underground cellars and bring it home with you.

J M
New York City, New...
2 posts
Save Reply
15. Re: Top "Must See" Finger Lakes Wineries

Pleasant Valley (Great Western) winery just south of Hammondsport on Keuka is an experience unto itself. Nowhere else in NY will you have the opportunity to tour a truly old US winery. The 150 year old buildings are literally carved into the hillside and the tour goes right into the belly of this 1860s treasure.. Truly an "old -school" experience. The aroma of the fermenting wine in the holding cellar will linger in your olfactory for a lifetime. This is a gem of a tour. No other winery in the Fingerlakes has anything remotely close. if you prefer a tasting room with a big bright gift shop, there are plenty of choices. If you want to experience how wine was made 150 years ago, go to Pleasant Valley Winery. You'll wish you could bottle the aroma of the underground cellars and bring it home with you.

Ithaca, New York
Level Contributor
103 posts
Save Reply
16. Re: Top "Must See" Finger Lakes Wineries

Yes, I agree, that if you want a "must see" winery, that's a good one, though it might not rate so high on the list of "must drink" or "must try" wineries. I personally like learning the history of a wine region. Unfortunately, in a study conducted last year, I believe, top on most visitor's list was not the history or the wine but the view and then the food.

17. Re: Top "Must See" Finger Lakes Wineries

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, July 16, 2014