We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

family friendly wineries/ seneca w kids

Pittsburgh...
1 post
Save Topic
family friendly wineries/ seneca w kids

are the (some) wineries Ok having kids ( aged 15,10,6) come with parents to the wine tastings and tours?

obviously we won't be doing any extensive tastings, but the tour will be educational...and an experience for them.

would like to sit down for a brunch/lunch with them.

any suggestions? any to avoid? we are staying by Penn Yan, seneca side.

Of course we have plenty of hiking/boating/swimming and museums planned!

what are the must do BTW of those activities?

Thanks!

thanks!

Lodi, New York
Level Contributor
733 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: family friendly wineries/ seneca w kids

Wagner Winery and the Ginny Lee Cafe might be a good fit for you. They offer tours and the food at the cafe is very good.

Wilton, New York
Level Contributor
54 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: family friendly wineries/ seneca w kids

My kids are 13 and 15, and we will also be staying over on the west side of Seneca in a few weeks. We did the same in 2006 when my kids were 7 and 9.

A must do is Corning Museum of Glass. It kept both our artsy girl and rambunctious boy interested.

Also hike in as many state parks as you can stand. :-) You'll be closest to Watkins Glen, which is very walkable, just take your time and there is also a shuttle. There are 3 more in the Ithaca area that can all be visited in one day. As I recall the most easily hiked was Taughannock. You may want to consider purchasing an Empire Passport for admission to all the state parks, otherwise it's $7 or $8 per day (maybe per park, we buy the passport yearly so I've lost track of daily fees).

Another must-do for us will be the Ornithology Lab at Cornell. I believe it has walking trails and a small museum/visitor center.

www.birds.cornell.edu/Page.aspx?pid=1572 My son (the 13-year-old) and I have been watching some of their webcams all spring and it will be fun to try and spot the birds ourselves.

I agree with the suggestion of the Wagner winery and Ginny Lee cafe. Another one that worked out well for us was Glenora. They have a guided cellar tour that we all went on, and a cafe with good outdoor seating. Great view of the vineyard and the lake!

Have a great trip. I'm getting quite anxious for ours.

Ithaca, New York
Level Contributor
103 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: family friendly wineries/ seneca w kids

Here are a number of suggestions for keeping kids busy: www.ilovethefingerlakes.com/fun/kids.htm

Ronda Roaring

4. Re: family friendly wineries/ seneca w kids

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, July 22, 2013