We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where now then ?

England, United...
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
8,327 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Where now then ?

Thanks for your replies on Kuredu vs Vila.

After doing some more research we are now looking for a completely different island to visit has anyone got anymore suggestions ?

Would perhaps like a smaller island with better snorkeling in a similar price bracket and nice beach, surely not hard to find in the Maldives? Not looking to go until Feb 2013. If anyone has any good suggestions on where to go and who to book with would like to book within the next few weeks ?

Many thanks

P & D

Liverpool
Level Contributor
5,300 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where now then ?

Athuruga and Thudufushi are possibly above your budget, if so you could look at Angaga. Or possibly Reethi if you're not too bothered about seeing lots of coral.

Makunudu would possibly be in a similar price bracket, but haven't been there so can't really comment.

Ian

England, United...
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
8,327 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where now then ?

Hi Ian

Many Thanks will take a look at these. Whats your opinion on who to book with ? Booked with Thompson last year no problems but flight very average and the cost of the premium upgrade is stupid. Dream ticket have now ceased to trade so we have heard ? and some don't seem to be taking bookings for 2013 yet

D & P

Liverpool
Level Contributor
5,300 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where now then ?

We never book that far ahead! :-)

We've booked with H&J and Maldives Direct and found them both good, plus there's Kuoni, Mark's travel, Purely Maldives..... Quite a list :-)

If you're going to be flying scheduled you may have to wait a little longer until the schedules for next year are published, I read somewhere on here it's about 11 months in advance.....

Happy hunting!

Ian

Yorkshire, UK
Level Contributor
166 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Where now then ?

Snorkeling on Makanudu is not very good - no real reef to speak of just some coral outcrops - great lagoon though! Its a lovely small island with only 36 or so rooms. Bit of trouble with erosion in front of certain rooms but then that is the same on most Maldivian Islands.

Have a look at Velidhu too - we booked via Marks Travel and made a good saving on the Kuoni prices. Good reef, good AI plan and a pretty little island with about 100 rooms. Some erosion in places so you need to be sure you get a room on the right part of the island - if you want to know more ask away!

FF

England, United...
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
8,327 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where now then ?

thants

Do you think i would get a better deal by waiting for the sched flights to come out ??

England, United...
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
8,327 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where now then ?

Thanks FF

will look at the islands !

Think i my have to hang on a month to book for 2013 and get a good deal !!

Divide, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
14,268 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where now then ?

funky fins ... you are confusing me ... makunudu most certainly had a decent housereef when i was there . not as good as vilamendhoo but much better than kurdu.

if athuruga is outside the budget range .. definitely second ians suggestion for angaga and would add a recommendation for dhiggiri and maayafushi in the mix

Yorkshire, UK
Level Contributor
166 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Where now then ?

Hi Spammie

I was there in late 2009 and for me the snorkeling was not good and not many fish - I did follow a turtle for a long time though resulting in "snorkelers bottom" . I prefer islands where the reef drop off is within easy reach and it didn't seem to be there.

Just back from a week on the Atoll Explorer and have finally achieved a lifetime ambition of snorkeling with a whaleshark - fan-tas-tic!!

FF

England, United...
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
8,327 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where now then ?

Cheers guys

Divide, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
14,268 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Where now then ?

i hear ya, FF .. i didn't say makunudu reef is out-of-this-world-amazing .. it depends where you compare it to. i'd still put it several classes above kuredu .. and several below vilamendhoo - not to mention the likes of athuruga or mirihi.

congrats on the whaleshark ! awe-inspiring , isn't it!

Get answers to your questions about Kuredu
Recent Conversations