We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

transport :)

Brighton, United...
3 posts
Save Topic
transport :)

Hi everyone:)

My holiday is in october so I still have a lot of time but can't stop thinking about it! Im so excited:D I have one question, beacuse is actually my second holiday and on my first one my hotel was really close from a airport so i didnt have to book any transport just cought a taxi outside a airport and I start thinking how is look a transport from the airport Male to Kuredu, Im traveling with First Choice and I dont know what to expect! I just know that I will fly by a sea plane, but how it works?? I mean that somebody from First Choice will wait for me in Male and take me to sea plane? I dont know. How your transport look like???

Sorry about my english but still learning:)) many thanks for your help

London, United...
Level Contributor
4,176 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: transport :)

Hi

I can quite understand your excitement - I still get like that after all these years

re your transfer... It is arranged by your resort who will have been informed by First Choice of your arrival and departure times. As you leave the arrivals area, you will be met by a First Choice rep (or their agent). They will be carrying a board that says on it 'First Choice'. This person will direct you to the seaplane checkin desk, which is literally opposite the exit from arrivals. You may have to go via the Kuredu desk first, to get paperwork, but your rep will show you exactly what to do and where to go.

At the seaplane checkin, all of your luggage will be weighed and tagged. Make sure you keep hold of your hand luggage afterwards. You will be shown onto a bus, your luggage will go onto a trailer and you will be taken to the seaplane terminal. Once there, you may be shown to a lounge (not sure if Kuredu has it's own) otherwise you just wait in the general lounge area. You can wander outside and watch the seaplanes coming and going. Keep an eye on the departures board, which will tell you when your plane is leaving and which pontoon to go to. There is a cafe/snack bar at the terminal, so it's a good idea to make sure you have some small denomination $US handy if you want a drink.

You'll be called to your plane and all luggage, including your hand luggage is loaded into the back of the plane. Makes sure that you take your camera out of your luggage, as you will have some fabulous photo opportunities on the flight. Fasten your seatbelt, watch as the barefoot pilots edge the plane out into the lagoon, and sit back and enjoy an absolutely fantastic (if noisy!)experience.

Have fun!

SL

London
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: transport :)

If you're arriving on a Monday then your luggage goes by boat. (apart from your hand luggage). Depending on weather and arrival of other flights, your luggage won't arrive on Kuredu until approx 7pm but one year ours didn't arrive until midnight. Before you check in your luggage at the sea plane terminal, take out some clothes, swimwear etc to take on the seaplane so at least you can go swimming and have a change of clothes for the evening.

Also get your camera out before you get on the seaplane otherwise it will steam up as it is so humid.

Don't worry about the seaplane transfer as the first time we went to Kuredu we didn't go with a travel agent and still found it very easy to find where to go. I also hate flying but really enjoy the seaplane.

Chesterfield...
Level Contributor
379 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: transport :)

Hi SunL0ver,

I don't want to confuse anyone - and arrangements may have changed since I last went - but we had our luggage loaded onto a small van, and followed in a small, air conditioned bus around the edge of the airport to the sea plane terminal. Then the luggage was weighed and checked in. It was loaded onto a trolley and we waited for the sea plane...

OP,

The sea plane trip is great! If you want to take photos, take your camera out of your hand luggage as the crew will take hand luggage from you as you get on - it is stowed at the back of the plane. It can get very noisy, and there is often a rather strong smell of diesel. I would recommend taking a bottle of water on board with you. Don't forget to take suncream out of your suitcase too, in case your luggage arrives later.

Enjoy your holiday (and the anticipation) -

Abbi x

Edited: 8:21 pm, March 24, 2011
Chesterfield...
Level Contributor
379 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: transport :)

nabuchodonozor,

Sorry, I forgot to add - try this link for an idea of what the sea planes look like:

http://www.maldivianairtaxi.com/

Click on the 'Goodies' tab for photos - although the pictures of the seating in the passenger lounge looks like the VIP area... the ordinary lounge is a little more basic!

Our sea plane was the one with the red seats, about six rows with two seats on the right and one on the left.

Abbi :- )

London
Level Contributor
54 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: transport :)

Since the end of 2009 Kuredu use Trans Maldivian Airways and not Maldivian Air Taxi. The Trans Maldivian Airways check in is outside by the arrivals. You still get on a bus to get to the seaplane terminal but you check in first.

Chesterfield...
Level Contributor
379 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: transport :)

Thanks LondonScuba - sorry for the confusion,

Abbi x

London, UK
Level Contributor
68 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: transport :)

Just got back. - our luggage was weighed at the main terminal - worth asking the guy at the sea plane desk if your luggage is going on the same plane so you know whether to take anything out of your bag, it was then loaded onto the little van and we didn't see it until it was wheeled out to the sea plane.

Kuredu has a lounge with free soft drinks which are welcome in the heat! also nice seating and a lovely cold face cloth!

8. Re: transport :)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:15 am, October 28, 2012
Get answers to your questions about Kuredu
Recent Conversations