We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

snorkeling where????

Brighton, United...
3 posts
Save Topic
snorkeling where????

I have book my dream holiday on 17 october for 7 nights. Me and my future wife:) we love snorkeling. Anybody can please give me a advise where is the best place around kuredu insland for snorkeling. Thanks

Divide, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
15,216 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: snorkeling where????

um.. there isn't much good snorkeling from kuredu ... a bit of a reef on the north end that isn't terribly easy to reach .

they do snorkeling trips however. kuredu's sister island komandoo has a decent enough reef.

suffolk
Level Contributor
3,781 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: snorkeling where????

Just highlights the importance of doing your research before booking.

John

Glos
Level Contributor
57 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: snorkeling where????

There is some snorkelling from the beach:

The house reef (with ship wreck) can be accessed from the beach or jetty and it runs for about half the length of the island on the South side. You'll see lots here but it is deep and can be choppy.

There's also the coral garden which is reached from the South side beach opposite the Sangu restaurant. It's probably about 3m deep there and calmer (but quite a way out).

For lots of fish you can also snorkel in shallow water at the back of the water villas around the sea wall. You'll also see turtles in the shallows near the beach.

UK
Level Contributor
630 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: snorkeling where????

We are also very ardent snorkellers and were VERY disappointed with most of Kuredu.

The island has a North side and a South Side.

The South side is where you will be advised to snorkel, however we found it a loooooong way out from the beach to get to anything like coral and there is still a current making it very hard work to swim back. inbetween beach and coral is sand and seagrass with a couple of decent turtles but hardly any fish.

The North side has a bit of a sea break and at the right tide time, you can get out beyond the sea break where the snorkelling is awesome. Be careful though - this is not recommended by the dive school and I understand that the currents can be signigicant. However, if you are a confident and experienced swimmer, I would say it is the ONLY place on the island for decent snorkelling. We saw massive schools of fish, sharks, mantarays turning summersaults beneath us in only15 ft of water.

Try it but don't stray too far and see what you think. Don't forget you must have fins and will need to make sure you get back in through the wall where you went out.

All snorkelling around the water bungalows was also a waste of time.

Ho

Mentioned in this post
Kuredu Island Resort & Spa
Kuredu Island Resort...
8,522 Reviews
Kuredu
Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
466 posts
205 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: snorkeling where????

As the others have mentioned, the 'House Reef' that they advertise is quite a way out and the current can be incredibly strong. Make sure that you wear an inflatable if you are not a confident swimmer. Getting back in can be very difficult and I had to rescue a lady when we were there because she just ran out of strength and still had around 100m to swim to get to shore.

Around the side where the beach villas are, we saw lots of little sharks rounding up fish - that was lovely to watch.

For decent snorkeling though, you would be best to pay for some of the trips where they moor the boat up and you can jump into the sea and snorkel around. The island is near some nice sites and we saw a lot of different marine life.

The Coral Garden is also quite a swim away. The bit in front of the Beach Villas to the left of the jetty as you face it was shallower and you could snorkel here and see lots of colourful fish and even an eel.

Jubs x

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
710 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: snorkeling where????

Hi there,

As mentioned earlier, when you're a good swimmer the north end is the place to be. (Right of the water villas there is a litle lagoon where you get in, past the waterbreakers. Very shallow and rocky. After that you get a flat area which ends in a drop off. This is also where the snorkel boats will go an some of the dive boats.

The reef is not that good or beautiful.

During 2 weeks there we did not have much (any) current.

However huge amounts of fish. I think you can tick off all the fish on the maldives fish card.

The big attraction however are the hugh amount of turtles. They sleep in the drop off area (so if you are able to go down to 10m you'll have the time of you're live.

Saw several reefsharks (beside the baby ones which you can see from the shore), squid, huge napoleon fish, huge stingrays, eagle rays and manta's.

Ps: on the south side (beach) you will find some rocks (sandy area) with murray eals and lion fish. Very beautiful, not agressive (but lethal), so keep you're distance. In the sandy area you will also see green patches where you can also spot turtles as these are there feeding grounds.

Have fun,

London, UK
Level Contributor
68 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: snorkeling where????

The trouble with the reef on the south side is it's very deep, so not really much to see if you are snorkelling (a lot of divers go in off the jetty to it, to give you an idea) and as mentioned it is a long swim, but if you have fins on and just take your time and enjoy the ride there then it's still worth it for some of the huge fish and large shoals you'll see.

We went on the Britt trip twice - both times very different. First one we snorkelled with dolphins and two manta rays which was just amazing. the second time we went to different places - we went to a large wreck that protrudes out of the water which was cool, although had a VERY strong current. We also went to Komandoo on each trip which has a pretty decent reef although we snorkelled the same bit twice which makes me wonder if it's like that all the way round or just that part.

the dive school do a snorkel intro a few times a week, it's worth signing up for it, they will show you the best places to snorkel. I've also heard some of the snorkel trips are good, will try them next time!

Mentioned in this post
Komandoo Maldives Island Resort
Komandoo Maldives Island...
2,301 Reviews
Komandoo
London, United...
Level Contributor
2,058 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: snorkeling where????

I agree Kuredu is down the island list on good snorkelling but don’t despair. The islands local trips are very good with the dive center. You also have a chance of seeing Mantas on the Britt trip and a local wreck. The island is alive with different Rays and Turtles.

Check out the jetty area and the area around the breaks and Water Villas. I thought there was plenty to see and some nice shoals.

For the casual snorkelled or first timer I think you will be surprised and pleased.

Edited: 4:29 pm, April 03, 2011
Mentioned in this post
Kuredu Island Resort & Spa
Kuredu Island Resort...
8,522 Reviews
Kuredu
9. Re: snorkeling where????

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:19 am, October 28, 2012
Get answers to your questions about Kuredu
Recent Conversations