We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

kuredu, meeru, kuramathi, komandoo?

Which Kuredu hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
egypt
2 posts
Save Topic
kuredu, meeru, kuramathi, komandoo?

very confusing choice! my fiancee and Iare going on our honeymoon this sept to mald,, we are looking for a fun and beatiful island, with variety of entertainment and beatiful beach,,, we want a JBV,, does any1 have any advice for us for wich island to go to? esp meeru vs kurerdu..

Liverpool
Level Contributor
5,300 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: kuredu, meeru, kuramathi, komandoo?

My personal choice would be Komandoo, Kuramathi and Meeru and Kuredu joint last!

That's not saying anything against Kuredu or Meeru, but they are large islands - (Komandoo is about a third of their size) which isn't really our thing. If I was to choose a larger island then I like the look of Kuramathi best out of the three.

None of the resorts will offer much in the way of entertainment which is very low key throughout the Maldives, but obviously the larger the island, the more there will be to do.

For a honeymoon I would choose Komandoo above all the other choices by a country mile....

Ian

Warwickshire
Level Contributor
77 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: kuredu, meeru, kuramathi, komandoo?

What is your budget? We have just booked Kuredu in December because it seemed to offer pretty decent value on an all inclusive package.

Swanwick, United...
Level Contributor
4,369 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: kuredu, meeru, kuramathi, komandoo?

Samarkhaled

I have only been to Kuramathi out of those 4 but done a lot of research and would agree with icn05 Komandhoo, Kuramathi and the other two joint last, but then you will also see the price reflects this choice. kuramathi has very good restuarant choices and is an island I would recommend

T23.

London
Level Contributor
54 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: kuredu, meeru, kuramathi, komandoo?

I've been to Kuredu and Komandoo and I prefer Kuredu. Everyones different and it really depends on what you are looking for. I found Komandoo too small and not enough to do, quite close to a large local island although their house reef is better than Kuredu's. There is loads to do on Kuredu and a choice of bars and restaurants so you can either chose a chilled out bar or the main bar with has entertainment..

Divide, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
14,048 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: kuredu, meeru, kuramathi, komandoo?

like london says .. everyone is different .. none of the islands from your list would make my top 30 or 40 of maldivian resorts to visit - but having said that , you say that you are looking for "fun" , "entertainment" .. etc .. so maybe kuredu is your best bet .

from your selections, komandoo is easily the most romantic and has best snorkeling but it is small and intimate and quiet.

kuramathi is newly refurbished and quite large with some snorkeling and a lot of other options. people seem to enjoy the new resort concept.

kuredu and meeru are pretty much 3 star resorts with a few higher rated spots tossed in (O, etc) . both are family friendly, value for money and lively and cater pretty much to mass market tourists - which is not a bad thing , if thats what you are looking for. both have poor snorkeling but lots of bars, food options and sports offers. actual entertainment may well disappoint you here as well , as throughout the maldives. maldivian resorts tend to be very understated - crab races , the occasional live singer or band , slide show by the dive center , star gazing ..

Edited: 10:35 am, March 23, 2010
London, United...
Level Contributor
2,025 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: kuredu, meeru, kuramathi, komandoo?

Kuredu and |Meeru are great islands. Been to both. Nothing 3 star about them in my view in any way. Some may be disappointed in the lower accommodation maybe. The review ratings say it all. I love the larger islands. Snorkelling is fine. Yes there are better islands and there is better snorkelling in other destinations over the Maldives.

Some people have a downer on the above but the reviews say it all. Komandoo is different and has a different feel if that is what you are after. Also a great island that has won many awards.

Aust
Level Contributor
135 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: kuredu, meeru, kuramathi, komandoo?

OMG the choices are endless aren't they. I have been on TA reading post after posts, and just when you think you have something short listed another post comes up that sounds fantastic and makes you rethink everything all over again.

I guess this is because all the Islands are beautiful and all offer something a little different from each other. Whether that be the 5 star accommodation luxury, or the warmth of the smaller island, or the beauty of a house reef abundant in marine life. The differences can be small enough to make the choices more difficult.

But the truth is you just have to go more than once..... Live life in the slow lane, soak in the true beauty of the Maldives.

egypt
2 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: kuredu, meeru, kuramathi, komandoo?

thank you all for ur help,, i think now we narrowed the choice to meeru and kuredu,, (unless another post comes along and confuses me more ) lol,,

any preferences? kuredu or meeru?

Liverpool GB.
Level Contributor
7,430 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: kuredu, meeru, kuramathi, komandoo?

Both big but Meetu has it for me Kuredu to much them and us / sections, Meeru also has an Adults only dinning room.

Rumpole

London
Level Contributor
54 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: kuredu, meeru, kuramathi, komandoo?

I have never noticed a them and us feeling in kuredu, also the O & Sangu restaurants don't allow under 12's so it is usually all adults anyway. The thing against Meeru for us is they don't have a house reef as such, you have to get a boat to their house reef. Snorkelling and diving are far more important to us than sitting in the sun all day and we really like to be able to go diving on Kuredu's house reef by ourselves when we feel like it. We just let Prodivers know and they take our tanks to the jetty for us. If you have no intention of snorkelling or diving then you won't have a problem with Meeru. You need to decide what is most important to you and then eliminate the islands that don't have what is most important. That is how we decided on Kuredu, we really didn't want a small quiet island where everyone is in bed by 10pm, and wanted somewhere with good diving. As there are so few tourist resorts in this Atoll, there are usually no other dive or snorkel boats at the dive site whereas when we were in the Ari and Male Atolls quite a few boats would turn up. Our worst experience in the Maldives was snorkelling with a whale shark, loads of boats turned up and unfortunately some people were touching the shark which you should never do.

Where ever you go in the Maldives though, you'll have a great time.

Get answers to your questions about Kuredu
Recent Conversations