We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

one day itinerary

Which Glencoe hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
milano
Level Contributor
101 posts
83 reviews
Save Topic
one day itinerary

Hello can you recommend a route that takes me from Glencoe to Edinburgh seeing the most scenic roads or the most beautiful places?

Coming from Luss to Clachaig Inn (thank you for yours advices) sleep and then I must to be in Edinburgh in the evening......

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
622 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: one day itinerary

this might be a bit late but i love the route A85/A82 route from Glen Coe to Perth. It passes through some beautiful northern Perthshire scenery/villages.

Once in Perth you can decide if you want to drive straight to Edinburgh (45 mins) or take a detour through Fife....

milano
Level Contributor
101 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: one day itinerary

thank you ... not later, not advice to go to Oban and the coast?

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
622 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: one day itinerary

You can if you like :) Oban is nice but its better used as a base rather than just driving to it on the way to Edinburgh. The Oban way is a longer day as it involves a loop. The way back through Loch Lomond is beautiful but means going back through Glasgow to get to Edinburgh. Didn't seem logical to me.

If I was doing it I would pick the route I highlighted above and if you have time you can see the east coast by driving through the Fife fishing villages.

Its a matter of opinion I guess but i believe the road through Rannoch Moor onto Tyndrum to St Fillans, Comrie etc is one of the best.

Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for Kuching
Level Contributor
2,016 posts
235 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: one day itinerary

my preference is Rannoch Moor > Tyndrum > Crianlarich > Callander >Edinburgh

milano
Level Contributor
101 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: one day itinerary

thank you very much, I read that Oban is very very nice , what do you think if the tour is:

Glencoe

Oban

Tyndrum

Crianlarich

St. Fillans

Comrie

Callander

Stirling

Edinburgh

I must arrive in the evening in Edinburgh......

Edinburgh...
Level Contributor
5,099 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: one day itinerary

St Fillans and Comrie are nice towns, but there's no direct route to Callander. I know because I've walked all the hills in between! Either you double back to Lochearnhead, or you go South from Comrie through Braco and then South to Dunkeld and then Stirling seems the next place naturally.

My recommendation would be to abandon St Fillans and Comrie, unless you have particular reasons for going there. Instead, consider the A821 Trossachs road, at Kilmahog just West of Callander. You could visit Aberfoyle before looping East to either Doune (castle, antiques centre) or straight towards Stirling.

I mention the Trossachs because it's one of the most scenic areas of Scotland, much better than Loch Earn. The mountains may be a lot smaller than Glencoe but they combine wonderfully with woodland and water.

The entire journey, no stops or diversions, straight down the A85, is under two hours to Stirling, and then another hour from Stirling to Edinburgh. That should give you plenty time to visit places along the way, think about the Aberfoyle option, and you can decide whether you're running out of time as you go ...

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
622 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: one day itinerary

I concede that this is the best idea ^^ :)

8. Re: one day itinerary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:16 pm, June 19, 2013
Get answers to your questions about Glencoe