We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Charter Planes - tips for pilots?

MD
Level Contributor
15 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Charter Planes - tips for pilots?

Do you typically tip the pilot on a chartered plane? My husband and I are thinking about chartering a plane one way to Staniel Cay and then returning via a scheduled flight on Flamingo Air.

For those of you that have chartered planes, do you typically tip the pilot? This is our first experience with a charter so any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

Kansas City
Level Contributor
321 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Charter Planes - tips for pilots?

Wellz11:

I have flown to Staniel with a few different private charter companies, and have not tipped the pilot. I do not know what the international protocol is for that, but I have not seen any of the passengers tip the pilot upon arrival or departure from Staniel Cay. I would highly recommend Watermakers Air which is owned by Staniel Cay Yacht Club as they have the nicest / newest / best maintained planes that I have flown (at least leaving from Ft. Lauderdale). Let me know if you have any other questions, and enjoy your trip to the Out Islands. Steve

NH
Level Contributor
45 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Charter Planes - tips for pilots?

actually - I have tipped the pilot on a couple of my flights to staniel. We had chartered the plane and were the only 4 on-board and the pilot made special turn-arounds and angles for us to view the beauty of it all as we were approaching the area- and since one of us had to use the front passenger seat there was lots of educational conversation going on about flying there and other things. The pilot made the trip more than just a flight. That was on Flamingo. I probably wouldn't tip on watermakers. They are wonderful to fly also but part of the whole trip and more of just a flight to get to the destination. I think some other people do tip charter flights but I don't think you need to feel you have to do it. On charters the pilots will be unloading your bags themselves and helping you off the plane.. so there is an additional service that in an airport you might be tipping a baggage-handler for that service.

MD
Level Contributor
15 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Charter Planes - tips for pilots?

Thank you for your replies and the information!

4. Re: Charter Planes - tips for pilots?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:19 am, August 25, 2009