We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Do you need to rent a boat EVERY day? Or golf cart ?

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
27 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Do you need to rent a boat EVERY day? Or golf cart ?

We are excited about going to SCYC in June this year. We have booked 3 days and are on the wait list for more days if anything opens up. I am thinking about booking the SC cottages which are apparently just behind the SCYC for 4 days so we'll have a week's vacation. Do you think we need a boat rental EVERY day or does it make sense to rent a golf cart some of the days just to explore the beaches on SC? How far in advance should I make the reservations for a boat and/or golf cart? Thanks so much for any guidance. Sincerely, Susan

West Jefferson...
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Do you need to rent a boat EVERY day? Or golf cart ?

We stayed last year and can't begin to tell you what a wonderful time our family of 4 had. To answer your question, it would be a tragedy not to have a boat to use every single day. I dont think anyone would argue that. Enjoy.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
492 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Do you need to rent a boat EVERY day? Or golf cart ?

I would have to dissent, as a landlubber. I rented a golf-cart all week and had a good ole time. It''s like a giant miniature golf course. Believe it or not, I didn't step foot on a boat all week. The beaches on Staniel are spectacular. There's awesome little cliffs to scale, a cool volcano-like lake, a natural Jacuzzi at Pirates cove and a massive chamber of sand on the south end. The carts are fun at night too. They are sitting there at SCYC, and they may be willing to bargain. I would imagine a boat would be much more costly. A boat might be go for a day or two. Walking is also a fun option, there's not many cars on the island.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
424 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Do you need to rent a boat EVERY day? Or golf cart ?

Oh how I miss Staniel Cay. My friend and I had the time of our lives there. I would do both. I agree that the beaches on Staniel are amazing and it was always nice to take a ride when we felt like it. I also agree that getting out on that water was a gift! Love it there, one of my favorite places on earth, cannot wait to return.

Glastonbury...
Level Contributor
1,387 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Do you need to rent a boat EVERY day? Or golf cart ?

Gee thanks guys...............way to rub salt in the wound of sitting at home in the chilly rain reading these forums:-))

Glastonbury...
Level Contributor
1,387 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Do you need to rent a boat EVERY day? Or golf cart ?

Someone please correct me if I am wrong, but I believe that you would be able to rent a boat (even the more popular 17 ft) with very little advance notice, even during the busier time of year, with the exception being Christmas to New Years week.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
237 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Do you need to rent a boat EVERY day? Or golf cart ?

There is way too much to see up and down the Exumas not to have a boat everyday. Pigs, Iguanas, Sharks, Oh my..... Not too mention the Land and Sea Park, Rachaels Bubbles, Thunderball Groto. Driving by all the private islands.

Waterbury...
Level Contributor
14 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Do you need to rent a boat EVERY day? Or golf cart ?

you don't NEED a boat...but for me I wouldn't go to any island if I couldn't get out on the water...is it not what an island is all about....water sports? The place is a feast for the eyes and not all the places can be had by driving.

Mobile, Alabama
Level Contributor
2,859 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Do you need to rent a boat EVERY day? Or golf cart ?

Susan,

For the days you are already booked at SCYC be sure you get the package rate which includes meals but also the boat and gas- that way you will already have a boat on those days for water adventures. Adventure as much as possible in those days. They also have kayaks and paddleboards you can use to get around and play in the water a bit included in the package price (along with free use of bicycles). If you can get a cottage elsewhere to extend your trip then do by all means. Perhaps book an excursion up to the land and sea park with a guide on one of those days and sightsee, snorkel, etc. If you fish, you could book another day or 1/2 day guided fishing trip one non-yacht club day. I would not rent a cart until after your SCYC time runs out- you can get one from Nikki at 3 N's (at the "airport"- can't miss it). You can do some land adventures on those days when you don't have a trip planned. Even when we stayed at SCYC we went to Pirate Trap beach every day to swim and explore and used a cart most times as it was easier than the boat when we went just before dinner.

I hope you get someone's cancellation but, if not, your plan sounds great.

Enjoy!!

Mobile, Alabama
Level Contributor
2,859 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Do you need to rent a boat EVERY day? Or golf cart ?

Here is how you get in touch with Nikki- also manages boat rentals and places to stay- have you checked these?? She was super nice to us.

http://www.stanielcayvacations.com/

Mobile, Alabama
Level Contributor
2,859 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Do you need to rent a boat EVERY day? Or golf cart ?

Susan,

One more thing, under "Fishing" on Nikki's site it has information about guides. We did NOT go fishing but used one of these guides for a 1/2 day (ended up getting more than 4 hours for our money though) to take us to the Land and Sea Park, snorkeling at the aquarium, to Compass Cay to see the sharks, sightseeing, etc. and he was GREAT- look at the scroll down, his name was Raymond but everyone knows him as "Breadboy" - he told us his mother is a baker. I highly recommend him.

Get answers to your questions about Staniel Cay