We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Land & Sea Park

Centreville...
Level Contributor
1,703 posts
49 reviews
Save Topic
Land & Sea Park

Visiting SCYC again this August and want to take a trip to the Park this time. We plan to do it in our Whalers (either 2 13 footers or will trade up for a 17 foot) if conditions are perfect. My question is how far past Compass cay is it? 15 min? And can it be done on one tank of gas or should we bring an extra? Are there any fees to get into the park?

Thanks!

Glastonbury...
Level Contributor
1,443 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Land & Sea Park

SWFLOK,

That's too bad that Staniel was out of fuel! Any idea when they said they might get some? Hopefully that won't happen in July when I'm there!!

Not then end of the world if it does, I'll just fly to the Jumentos or Cape Eluethera for the day if that happens and hit Staniel on the return, but still hopefully not!

Edited: 8:19 pm, May 06, 2014
Centreville...
Level Contributor
1,703 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Land & Sea Park

To get to crescent beach, do you just continue on straight/North vs turning right off of Pipe Creek to get into the marina?

Ham Lake, Minnesota
Level Contributor
157 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: Land & Sea Park

We went from the marina and walked to the beach. We didn't see any boats on that side.

Centreville...
Level Contributor
1,703 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: Land & Sea Park

Thanks! Do you take the path behind the marina to get there?

North Fort Myers...
Level Contributor
1,454 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: Land & Sea Park

I'm not surprised that there were no boats in close to the ocean beach (the curved beach south of Hestor's house). It's normally too rough for a small boat to go outside to get there, and it's too shallow for a large boat to approach it. Last week, the 2 rocky beaches on the south east side of the Cay had some pretty scary waves coming in. We tried again to take the North Cliffwalk to Rachel's bath, I made it further this time than I did the first time, but I'm just too afraid of heights to get there. We've heard that you can walk to it from Rahcel's falls which start on the beach on the northeast side of the cay (on the left before going out Conch Cut). We walked up there a few years back, but didn't go far enough before turning back (because we didn't know we could get there that way). This time we planned to give it a try, but there were 2 mega yachts anchored in that cove, with a large number of people on shore, and jet skis tearing up the shoreline, so we gave it a pass.

Ham Lake, Minnesota
Level Contributor
157 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: Land & Sea Park

Yes, we took the path from the marina. Anyone will tell you how to get there. Nice walk. Very friendly people! Nice gazebo and some chairs to sit on also. Really fun when the wind is whipping and the waves are big! My husband and stepsons had a blast body surfing.

Reno, Nevada
Level Contributor
152 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
27. Re: Land & Sea Park

I just had this experience in March, it wasnt our first trip but I always get the 13 ft whaler and never went that far. That being said, I would never do it in a 13 ft. At least not in March. We were luck and there was a 17 available AND we still needed the extra tank of gas. I would bet it is very doable in a 13 ft with calm waters (for sure with extra gas). But it was not at all calm in March, not sure what the July waters are like. Hope for calm waters or see if there are any upgrades available. When we first arrived we ask for an available boat for any of the days we were there and at first it didnt look like it was going to happen, the AWESOME staff looked for us every morning an upgrade was available. They are the bext XOXOXO. 17 ft is much more comfortable so hope for it or hope for still water. I cant wait to see my Staniel again. ENJOY!

Glastonbury...
Level Contributor
1,443 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
28. Re: Land & Sea Park

SnorkelJunkie,

Was a 17' Whaler upgrade available every day or just on certain days? When looking for one, did they ask other rental companies or just stick within SCYC?

From what I understand, getting a 17' Whaler is not a problem from someone on the island, even if one is not available from SCYC. I could be wrong??

March (on average) is probably one of the windier months, and July will be much calmer than March 90% of the time.

Edited: 12:26 pm, May 08, 2014
Reno, Nevada
Level Contributor
152 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
29. Re: Land & Sea Park

The 17ft whaler was one of the SCYC boats. There was one available three days out the of the week being there. Just lucky I guess. We didnt use it all three days. March is the pretty windy. Looking at next May this time =) . There are other boat rentals on the island but we just used what was available at SCYC and paid the upgrade.

Glastonbury...
Level Contributor
1,443 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
30. Re: Land & Sea Park

I would suggest June or July as the best months. The hours of daylight are at their longest and ocean is usually the calmest

Get answers to your questions about Staniel Cay