We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

besides seafood

Boston area
Level Contributor
8 posts
38 reviews
Save Topic
besides seafood

Is there anything offered besides seafood? Iknow, Iknow, but my husband and son won't eat much seafood. Just wondering if they would have enough choices.

Thinking of going in May 07 and getting the all inclusive plan. Want to fly from Boston to Nassau and then take Flamingo over to Staniel.

May have to stay one night in Nassau coming anf going. Any suggestions out there for a one nighter near airstrip?

Thanks in advance

PS: anybody else out there thinking of going at that time with kids around 11 yrs. old?

Central Exumas...
2 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: besides seafood

The seafood is as fresh as it gets, but there's plenty more offered. Staniel Cay Yacht Club has a full menu including hamburgers, steak, rack of lamb (my personal favorite), pork, chicken and more. Thunderball has a great Friday night dinner with ribs that stick to ... well... your ribs. Sampson Cay club has a restaurant that has several seafood and "terrestrial" dishes nightly. Fowl Cay Resort (disclaimer - I work here) offers a seafood choice and a non-seafood choice nightly.

Re: a stay in NAS - unfortunately everything is SO expensive. Try Orange Hill Inn for very basic, but clean accomodations (5 mins from airport):

http://www.orangehill.com/

1-242-327-7157

Hope this helps.

Kansas City
Level Contributor
321 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: besides seafood

I would second what has already been posted. I am not a "seafood nut" by any stretch of the imagination. They have plenty of everything to satisfy a wide range of appetites. I would highly recommend the all inclusive that way you are not constantly trying to figure out where you are at in your budget, you already know up front. The food always seems to taste better after a full day out in the beautiful Exumas sun. The ribs and chicken are always my favorite, but the tuna, wahoo, or "fresh catch of the cay" is always good as well...plus there is club sandwiches, burgers, etc for the "typical" bar and grill lovers as well.

I do not know what your schedule is like, but I highly recommend checking into routing your trip through Ft. Lauderdale and flying Watermakers over to Staniel and back. I am in no way affiliated with them and have flown other charters...but their planes are top notch and not bad $$$ either. I don't know what prices are like right now round trip from Boston to Ft. Lauderdale, but it is definitely worth a look. Any other questions I will check back and try and answer as quickly as possible. have a great trip. The Out Islands are some of the most beautiful you will find anywhere and the people at Staniel Cay are the best. Cheers, Steve

Virginia
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: besides seafood

I searched tirelessly to find flights that would allow us to skip the overnight stay in Nassau. I made it happen, but it was almost a disaster since the flights were so close together in time. I took Flamingo Air over and we actually left early because the entire crew and ticket holders were all there ( i spoke to a couple that was on that same flight and said to not get used to Flamingo being early, and that this couple's experience, Flamingo was notoriously late).

We found out first hand on the way back to Nassau. The flight from Staniel was about 1hr 15min late and caused us alot of stress in Nassau trying to make the flight back to DC. We made it, but barely. I think i would try Watermakers next time , it is more $, but ultimately i think it would be alot easier and the company seems to be on top of things.

I would also say that the food is very good! I would reccomend staying away from the pitchers of tap water at dinner. No one has ever commented on this i don't think, but i did not have a good experience with that ( i think i narrowed it down to that, although it could have been too much Kalik).

You must go to Fowl Cay for dinner! awesome people, great food, and views that you will remember forever.

let me know if youhave anymore questions.... i have lots of stories, advice, and pictures.

Jason

Washington State
Level Contributor
116 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: besides seafood

I am also very interested in a stay at Staniel Cay Yacht Club late June of '07. We would be traveling with our 3 kids ages 10-16. They are most excited about exploring in the Boston Whalers and feeding sharks! I am traveling from the west coast, and as near as I can find out the Watermaker Air flights from Ft. Lauderdale leave early in the morning from a commuter airport--not the main international airport. Is this true, and if so, do you recommend overnighting in Ft. Lauderdale near this commuter airport? Where is it, and can anyone recommend accommodations?

Kansas City
Level Contributor
321 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: besides seafood

I would highly recommend staying out by the Executive Airport which is about 30 minutes or so from the International Airport in Ft. Lauderdale. The airport codes for both are FLL (for international) and FXE (for executive). Let me know if you have other questions. Steve

ps - Glad you had a great time Jason...hope you don't mind me sending your pics to a few on this forum. Yours are easier to upload and send on a link than mine....not that you are better looking or anything :-)

6. Re: besides seafood

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:18 pm, August 21, 2009