We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Suggestions in using a GPS

Evans, Georgia
Level Contributor
104 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Suggestions in using a GPS

Many of the post suggest taking a GPS in the boat with us as we venture out. Does everyone feel this is necessary or are charts/maps enough? What type of GPS....marine or a regular one that I use on land?

Nassau, New...
Level Contributor
5,060 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Suggestions in using a GPS

A GPS is only as usefull as the person using it or the maps loaded. If you don't have marine charts, then I really wouldn't bother with bringing a GPS.

New Brunswick
Level Contributor
250 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Suggestions in using a GPS

I bought the cruising guide to the Exumas which provides me with basic charts I will find out how helpfull it is next week.From what information i have gathered navigation is primarly line of sight and gaging the depth by color. I will be bringing along my GPS as some of the charts have waypoints but if you don't have GPS i would not worry too much as I think you can get by on line of sight navigation. Others who have been there may have better information

Laurel, Maryland
Level Contributor
355 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Suggestions in using a GPS

You don't really need a GPS. When you go out on the SCYC boat the first time, they will give you all the chart you need -- which is, frankly, not all that much more detailed than the placemats in the clubhouse. It's all line of sight, and you won't be going that far. And as others have noted, unless you have the charts for the Exumas loaded on your GPS, you won't get that much benefit out of having a GPS.

Burke, VA
Level Contributor
14 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Suggestions in using a GPS

I agree with posts that say GPS isn't really necessary. However, if you have an iPad, and like cool apps, there are several marine navigation apps that will put local waters on your iPad to help you navigate. One popular app is iSailor. The app is free, but you have to buy the charts for your area. The charts for Staniel Cay area are in a pack called "The Bahamas" -- not "Bahamas," so look under "T," not "B." I think the Bahamas chart pack for iSailor is about $25. You buy the chart pack after loading the iSailor app by going to the Chart Store in the Settings menu.

Evans, Georgia
Level Contributor
104 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Suggestions in using a GPS

Deepwaterguy, how was your trip? Did you need your marine charts and GPS or did you think that line of sight was just as good?

6. Re: Suggestions in using a GPS

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, February 07, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Staniel Cay