We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Exuma Land and Sea Park & northern Exuma Cays

Quebec City, Canada
Level Contributor
105 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Exuma Land and Sea Park & northern Exuma Cays

I've read about the "aquarium" in the Exuma Land and Sea Park and would like to get more information about those who visited this area (northern Exuma Cays).

1- Can you suggest me some guide names. I've read about "Breadboy" and capt Wayde, ....Can you give me some insight?

2- What their tour consist of: do you go to the aquarium, Warderick Wells - whale skeleton, Norman's Cay - plane wreck, ... ?

3- And what they ask for a tour?

Thanks

Glastonbury...
Level Contributor
1,413 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Exuma Land and Sea Park & northern Exuma Cays

I think I can help!!

I've snorkeled the Aquarium not once, but twice. Very nice spot with lots of fish and good coral.

Here is a link to some of the pics I took from "The Aquarium" with my underwater camera.

…photobucket.com/albums/…

Make sure you go during either high or low tide as there is a bit of a current between tide extremes.

Where are you going to be based out of? I assume Staniel Cay or somewhere nearby.

Getting to the aquarium is doable from Staniel Cay on your own, even in the 13' Whaler unless its rough.

Pick up a copy of the Exuma Explorer Charts as you will need these to Navigate there. You'll want to go in between the islands to the NW of Staniel Cay, but make sure you are able to read the water well as there are a lot of shallow areas, especially during LT. I'd def Recommend a GPS too.

Of course if you dont want the hassle of doing it on your own, Id def recommedn Capt Wayde!! I've heard a lot of good things about him. I think his daily rate is $400, so hopefully you can split costs among other travelers. You can customize the tour with him so you hit the sites you want. There is a sunken plane in about 20 ft of water about a half mile south of The Aquarium.

Send me a DM if you want. I can send you a link mapping the exact route I took on the Whaler on my own from Staniel to the Aquarium.

Edited: 10:16 am, January 10, 2013
Charles Town, West...
Level Contributor
141 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Exuma Land and Sea Park & northern Exuma Cays

I've went with captain Wade 4 times you can't beat him he will show you a great time he will take you guide you in almost anything you want to do

Quebec City, Canada
Level Contributor
105 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Exuma Land and Sea Park & northern Exuma Cays

Thanks for the replies!

Papafox: I send you a PM, can't wait to read you, viewed your photos...Great :-) I saw 2 set of pics of sunken planes, is it the same plane or 2 different ones?

Player:

Can you give me more info about your different trips with capt Wayde?

Northport, New York
Level Contributor
59 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Exuma Land and Sea Park & northern Exuma Cays

Thanks for the great info Papafox! We will be there next week and have always done the Land and Sea Park on our own- would love your info! Breadboy is good too (AKA Raymond) although we have only met him at the bar, we have heard good things. Just an FYI- if you want to make a difference, the park has a wishlist of things you can bring to donate to them. It is much appreciated! They also have kayaks you can borrow to use.

exumapark.org/Portals/…209-10.pdf

Burke, VA
Level Contributor
14 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Exuma Land and Sea Park & northern Exuma Cays

Another bit of trivia if you're into this sort of thing. . .

The island right next to the Aquarium is called Little Halls Pond Cay. This island is owned by Johnny Depp. I'm told he flies a pirate flag from the island when he's there. If you go to the backside of the island (west side, away from the Aquarium), you stand a good chance of seeing his yacht "Vajoliroja" (cool name from the first two letters of his family members' first names (Vanessa, Johnny, Lily Rose, Jack); say it fast and it sounds like "The Jolly Roger." Very clever.). The boat is definitely worth a look as it is a very unique design. My family and I saw "Vajoliroja" (but not its owner) during our stay at Fowl Cay Resort Jan 26 - Feb 3 2013.

6. Re: Exuma Land and Sea Park & northern Exuma Cays

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:18 am, February 07, 2014