We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Boating with no experience

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
98 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Boating with no experience

I have found some posts on forums for Exuma warning those without experience boating to only go out with a guide. This is disappointing as I was really looking forward to taking out the boat solo and exploring on our own with relative ease. This is becoming a bit worrisome after reading posts about rapidly changing weather, rip tides, unpredictable currents,failing motors etc... Is their anyone who has had these negative experiences? If so what do you recommend for preparation? Should we take some boating classes?My husband has some experience on the lake but I think this may be a whole different skill. I really only plan on puttering around close to Staniel. Is this wise or should we rely on a charter every day? That could get costly at $400 per excursion. Plus not as private.

Mobile, Alabama
Level Contributor
2,922 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Boating with no experience

I will venture to say that if you plan to stay fairly close and if you have some experience driving and docking a boat then you will probably be fine. We have been to SCYC- loved it- but have boating experience. We did not go in the best possible weather conditions so we did chip in with another couple we met at the club and took a guided trip to the Land and Sea Park one day- it was well worth it for a day but I would not think you would need to do that daily! What I wrote to tell you is that the personnel at SCYC that check the boat out to you give you a VHF radio- it will be with an emergency kit so just be sure the radio is out where you can hear it rather than packed up in the emergency box! They will monitor your radio, stay in contact with you, notify you if weather is headed in so you can head back, etc. It is very helpful and reassuring to less experienced boaters. We, however, knew we had the radio, knew how to use it, but since we did not need it we left it packed up. The weather turned a bit sour our first day out, we read it and headed back but later at the bar we were very suprised when they said something like "boat 6- you did not answer us!!"- they had tried to call us to see if we were ok and we did not hear it. From then on, we tried to be sure we could hear the radio only if to reassure them that we were alright! Another couple we met that first day did have some problems and the club sent a boat after them to pick them up, check on them and guide them in - it made them confident to go out the rest of the week because they knew they had that back up and service.

Have a great time- it is a great place! A basic boating class never hurts though!!

indiana
Level Contributor
35 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Boating with no experience

who's going to scyc the first week in Nov?

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
98 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Boating with no experience

My husband and I will be renting the lavender cottage from November 4th thru the 9th and will then head to Sandals Emerald Bay for the for another week. This will be our first trip to the Exumas (or the Bahamas for that matter) and I have very high expectations based on the reviews I have read. I am prepared for the rustic aspect of SCYC so I think will not be let down. Can't hardly wait to experience paradise!

Southern California
Level Contributor
117 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Boating with no experience

My husband and I arrive SCYC Oct 29th and are there for a week. We will be in the orange cottage.

Edited: 1:38 pm, August 10, 2011
Chesapeake, Virginia
12 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Boating with no experience

We are going August 27th for a week. Anyone else? I am so excited! (first time there)

London, United...
Level Contributor
8 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Boating with no experience

My girlfriend and I are travelling from the UK to Miami and then on to SCYC on Halloween!!

We will be staying in Ocean Blue for a week until 9th November.

Blakes, RoccosMom and Islandtime, I look forward to a couple of drinks with you guys.

any tips, please let me know

Charlie & Christina

Bonita Springs
Level Contributor
184 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Boating with no experience

Have a great time all of you! Have only spent one day at SCYC but it was a great day. We got to pet the Nurse Sharks at Compass Caye, snorkeled the Thunderball Grotto and went to dive at Danger Reef in the Land and Sea park.

Here is some information if you need it.

rumshopryan.com/2010/…

We stayed in the two story blue cottage right there on the water. Very nice place with amazing views.

The Exumas have some of the bluest water I have ever seen. I can't wait to go back!

Hope you all have a good time!

Cheers

ld
Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
1,683 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Boating with no experience

Charlie C - you will gave an amazing time. It's definitely as far away from a dreary oct day in Blighty! As for tips;

1. Take some water shoes, you can pick them up cheaply in Miami.

2. Take ear plugs if you think you might need to leave the aircon on at night. It hellishly noisy, especially for us Brits for whom aircon is some kind of alien technology.

3. Do order the lobster and the lamb (both are delicious).

4. Do ask your waitress at breakfast to sort out a box lunch, so you can spend all day exploring the cays.

5. Do pay for s guide one day to take you up to the land and sea park, compass cay to see the sharks and also iguanas - you'll be able to get to the pigs at majors cay in your boat.

6. Do book the all inclusive rate, it's by far the best way to go.

7. Do take cash with you and pay up front on arrival. If you pay on a credit card there is a 5 percent surcharge - which mounts up on a $2000 plus stay.

6. Do take an underwater camera - you can get pretty cheap waterproof digitals and it'll be worth it.

Pearland, TX
Level Contributor
29 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Boating with no experience

I havent driven a boat in a few years or docked on on the types of docks they have ever and I was more than capable of handling the Whaler. We went as far North as Compass Cay and just 1 island south to see the iguanas. The biggest thing is just watching the color of the water to know where you will run aground versus where you are safe. It is not bad at all and with the TOPO map they give you it is very easy to navigate the channels.

Just be careful and go slow as you approach lighter colored water and you will be fine after a short tutorial on the boat from the staff.

Thanks

Wes

10. Re: Boating with no experience

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, October 12, 2012
Get answers to your questions about Staniel Cay