We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Just Booked Orange Cottage for November

Charleston, SC
Level Contributor
219 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Just Booked Orange Cottage for November

We just booked the Orange Cottage for the first week of November arriving on October 31st for the week! Having spent our former vacations in Isla Holbox, we are expecting a quiet vacation but slightly different in atmosphere and culture! We are so looking forward to this experience! We decided to book the all inclusive package as it seems this is the best way to go! Any advice or comments are always welcome. I lurk on this forum daily praying that it will make the time pass more quickly!

Bonita Springs
Level Contributor
184 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Just Booked Orange Cottage for November

I stanyed on Staniel Caye, at the Yacht club for a night...here is my story...

rumshopryan.com/2010/…

It was a great time. Be sure to go snorkeling in the thunderball grotto (sea cave), see the swimming pigs and pet the nurse sharks. The pigs and sharks are a short boat ride away.

I love the Exumas and think about that blue blue water often.

Enjoy your trip!

Cheers.

Mobile, Alabama
Level Contributor
2,946 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Just Booked Orange Cottage for November

We have only been to SCYC once- June 2009- loved, loved it (Key Lime cottage) - the package is definitely the way to go- you will have a wonderful time. We usually rent houses when in the islands but thought the stay at SC was wonderfully effortless- someone fixed the meals, did the housekeeping, gassed up the boat, took the boat off and put it back on the lift- and yet we had the privacy and space of a little house- all with cheerful, friendly, unobtrusive and helpful staff- it was great!!! Since there is only one seating for dinner there is always a convivial group in the bar and dining room - very pleasant, not too loud or rowdy but fun.

We rented a golf cart from 3N's and meant to only keep it for a day or two to "get the lay of the land" on the island and pick up snacks and drink mixes, etc at the store but we ended up keeping it all week- totally unnecessary but my husband enjoyed it and there were several days that we put the boat up at the end of the day and took the cart back to Pirate Trap beach for an end of the day swim- not a soul in sight. We also went to lunch one day at Club Thunderball which has a great view and good food- nice for a change.

We did take a guided trip- along with another couple we met at the hotel- to the Land and Sea Park one day and we were glad we had a local with a little bigger boat and knowledge of the waters- it was wonderful and worth every penny- we went to the park then snorkeled at the "aquarium", visited Compass Cay and the sharks, and did some sightseeing with great commentary. I would strongly recommend it. Our guide's name was "Breadboy"- forgot his real name but the bartenders and people at the hotel can put you in touch- he was lots of fun and a great guide.

We always ended our boating for the afternoon by going around to feed the pigs- the restaurant will give you a bag of scraps- even after doing it for a week we still got a kick out of it- then there is the island with the iguanas and the island with the chickens and roosters- the area is truly unique!

Happy travels- I think you will love it. We have not been to Holbox but have read about it and I think you will be pleased with your choice.

Valhalla, New York
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Just Booked Orange Cottage for November

Hi you are going to love it at Staniel Cay. I went a few years back and will be going back next year! The all inclusive is the way to go. Everyone was so nice, the food is delicious, and having your own small boat to take out to the cays was wonderful! Definitly visit the pigs (ask the staff for bread to feed to them the pigs swim out to your boat, just make sure you are not too close to shore because they will try to jump in the boat with you) and sandy cay was a beautiful island with a huge sandbar that went out hundreds of feet in the ocean. Have fun!!

Charleston, SC
Level Contributor
219 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Just Booked Orange Cottage for November

Thank you for all of your replies. A cold, rainy day in South Carolina today sure makes me long for SC! I am begining to gather my notes so I can be sure to visit all of these "secret" spots! Keep the comments and advice coming! It's fun to share conversation with people that have common interests. We are no stranger to the water as my othe half was a Charter Chef in the Caribbean for years but we tend to migrate to more remote, quiet places like SC. My only drawback to the entire trip is the plane ride over from Ft. Lauderdale via Watermakers. They have been so helpful in booking our flight - it's just a far cry from a Boeing 747. I also have a question about arriving before check in time. If we catch the early flight from FLL and arrive in SC, will we be allowed to check in early if our cottage is available?

Valhalla, New York
2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Just Booked Orange Cottage for November

We also arrived early, and had no problem "checking in" early. There is no front desk like in hotels, you just go to the bar, very simple with the "no problems" attitude. It's wonderful. I didn't take the plane from Ft. Lauderdale, we flew from Nassau on a small 5 seater with my knees against the pilots seat. It was a little scary but the colors of the water were beautiful, and we were landing before we new it. The landing strip looks so small, if you are not a good flyer just close your eyes when landing LOL. When you land someone from the yacht club will pick u up in a golf cart. There is no terminal on the island( not even a building), we didn't wait more than 5-10 minutes, the plane must have radioed the yacht club.

Mobile, Alabama
Level Contributor
2,946 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Just Booked Orange Cottage for November

You will be fine on Watermaker's- it is a nice ride and I am not much on little planes. The pilot was very nice, their waiting area looked like a beach house den or something rather than an airport waiting room and they had coffee and snacks, etc. The only surprise to me but i had not asked- is that we stopped in Andros to clear customs which took about 5 minutes but it was another landing and take off.

We also arrived on the morning flight and were able to get into our cottage in a short time and also went ahead and checked out a boat and were off ! It takes them a few minutes to explain things about the pre-ordering dinner, arranging for picnic lunches, etc. so it filled the time until the room was ready.

Have a great time!

Northport, New York
Level Contributor
59 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Just Booked Orange Cottage for November

We actually went to Isla Holbox based on recommendations from this forum but much prefer SCYC! We found Isla Holbox to be not so clean in areas outside of the hotels on the beach. Staniel Cay is a beautiful island with gorgeous waters- it is the only place on earth that we can't wait to get back to! Luckily, we leave the day after tomorrow!

Mobile, Alabama
Level Contributor
2,946 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Just Booked Orange Cottage for November

alibee1- I am so envious- have a wonderful time!! I look forward to reading your trip report and seeing photos! I am interested to know air and water temps this time of the year, too, for future reference.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
424 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Just Booked Orange Cottage for November

You will love this beautiful, serene, friendly island.

The orange cottage sits at the very end of the cluster, right next to Key Lime where we stayed both times we visited. Very secluded and almost hidden by vegetation. You are also right next to the beach. We loved it there and will definitely return.

The trip on Watermakers is a dream. We even chartered a flight to Harbour Island for the night while we were at SC and used Roland...talk about small "puddle jumpers"...this flight was as perfect as perfect could be and were on Eleuthera in about 40 minutes, spending the night and returning the next day to our beloved Key Lime...easier than taking the bus here in New York...just unbelievable!! Yes, you could say I am smitten with the Out Islands of the Bahamas. You will have a blast and I can almost bet you will return. We loved having the golf cart to scoot off to our favorite beaches before or after our water adventures....just heavenly. I really could go on and on about Staniel Cay forever....have a wonderful time and be sure to let us know how your trip went.

By the way, Greek12see, you are arriving on the night of one of the biggest parties that SC has...be sure to bring a costume. We were there last year for the 4th of July party and we had a blast!! But then again we always had a blast there...loved the people and miss our friends. As DNA said, get out and see the Sea Park, Compass Cay, and do not miss Little Pipe Cay....one of the most beautiful places I have ever seen, especially at low tide. Then you must see Thunderball grotto and of course the beloved pigs....I think I was one of the few who actually jumped in and swam with them. The area around Fowl Cay is pure heaven. We used Captain Wayde, Breadboy was off island when we were there but you can always find a "guide" to show you around.

Loved it there and hope to return towards the end of the year. Have a ball and enjoy every minute...you will find yourself dreaming of the Out Islands...as I do...it is truly Better in the Bahamas!!!!

The Yacht Club provides you with a hard cooler, but we brought a soft sided one for our "jaunts" on the golf cart.

Have a blast and please post a trip report with pics!!

Charleston, SC
Level Contributor
219 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Just Booked Orange Cottage for November

Wanted to update everyone about the suggestion that I received on the recommended reading Chaos to Serenity by Martha Crikelair. What a great book in preparation for our upcoming trip in October/November!