We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Going to Staniel Cay 1/26/06 any tips?

Massachusetts
2 posts
Save Topic
Going to Staniel Cay 1/26/06 any tips?

My husband and I are going to Staniel Cay on a much needed vacation away from the three kids. We are concerned about the food. Should we try to bring some things from home?

Raleigh
1 post
Save Reply
1. Re: Going to Staniel Cay 1/26/06 any tips?

Just returned fm Staniel on Jan 9. There are 2 very small grocery stores (Pink Store and Blue Store) where you may get reasonably fresh produce on days when the mail boat arrives, but expect price to be on the high side - and it will sell out fairly quickly. Order some loaves of fresh Bahamian bread (delicious!) from either store; we had best luck at Pink Store. Ask local staff when the mail boat arrives. As for bringing your own produce, the Customs folks can confiscate it, but they may not even check your bags, so you might "luck out" as we did. (i.e. Don't bring more than you are prepared to lose). Bottom line: It's a beautiful place with lots to see and friendly people - expect a marvelous, relaxing vacation. Read the trip log someone posted at this site:

www.nbhtravel.com/StanielCay/stanielcay.htm

It's a good description with lots of pictures. Be sure to relax and have the time of your life!! (we hope to return someday!)

newyork
10 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Going to Staniel Cay 1/26/06 any tips?

You did not say if you are staying in Staniel Cays cottages or renting from a private owner. When are you going? Diana

Massachusetts
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Going to Staniel Cay 1/26/06 any tips?

We are renting a cottage from the Staniel Cay Yacht Club, we are going next week. We are looking forward to it, but we have never been.

Jane

Hampstead, NC
1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: Going to Staniel Cay 1/26/06 any tips?

This is truly paradise. I've been going there for about the last 10 or 12 years. If you take your own food, make sure everything is frozen. Customs usually doesn't mess with our stuff when frozen. The locals are great. Plan on taking lots and lots of pictures.

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
446 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Going to Staniel Cay 1/26/06 any tips?

Never been to Staniel Cay but have been to Eleuthra, Green Turtle Caye, Treasure Caye(my favorite), and Elbow Caye. We took groceries to all of these places without a problem. We even took a cooler packed with frozen items from bacon to london broil. We also took another box with staples. Believe it or not we took a couple dozen eggs once and didn't loose one. Let us know how Staniel Caye is we are looking into heading back down there soon. Have fun!!

newyork
10 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Going to Staniel Cay 1/26/06 any tips?

How was your trip?? We are going in April with another couple. We are renting the orange and lavendar cottages.I Can not wait!! Diana

New York
7 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Going to Staniel Cay 1/26/06 any tips?

Diana,

What's up? I posted on another thread that you started a couple of months ago. My name is Danny and my girlfriend is Diana. We're also from NY. We've been to Staniel and are going back this May for 17 days. CAN'T WAIT!! Drop us an email at FinestTravel@aol.com, we'll email you all the pictures and let you in on all the secrets. Talk to ya soon.

Danny

newyork
10 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Going to Staniel Cay 1/26/06 any tips?

Danny, I have tried to send you email but it will not go through. I remember I tried a few months ago and the same thing happened. I will have mu husband Dan checkmit out tonight!! Diana

New York
7 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Going to Staniel Cay 1/26/06 any tips?

Diana,

I checked my spam folder and didn't find anything. If Dan can't fix it and the AOL email address doesn't work for you, try finestauctions@yahoo.com. Since I don't use yahoo all that much, after you email, leave a reply to this post on this site so that I'll get notified through AOL. Looking forward to hearing from you.

Danny

newyork
10 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Going to Staniel Cay 1/26/06 any tips?

Danny, I emailed you at the other site!!