We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Considering an early April trip to SCYC-- good?

Arvada, CO
Level Contributor
199 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Considering an early April trip to SCYC-- good?

Hi All,

Been lurking for a while. We are considering a trip in early April to SCYC with our 9 year old daughter. I actually already picked twonoah's brain re: kids, and that was extremely helpful, but my question is re: the weather. If I had my druthers, I'd go in February, but the weather underground history looks a little sketchy-- kind of cool-- so thinking early April. Would rather go late April, but lots of bookings already at SCYC, so not a possibility. Early-to-mid-May is out for scheduling reasons here at home. If anyone knows, what is the weather generally in April, as well as water temps? I think we are going to spend a couple of days in George Town at Peace and Plenty Club and then hop over to Staniel Cay. Still trying to make that work, but it looks as if it might. I really feel we need to reserve a cottage, but if our dates change, will we be penalized? Thanks in advance!

Mobile, Alabama
Level Contributor
3,026 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Considering an early April trip to SCYC-- good?

Since you also plan on visiting Great Exuma, why don't you post this message on that board and see if "seven mile sailing" can give you a good answer about the weather. I think it can vary pretty much in April. Also, you might want to check to see when the regatta is since that would be a very busy time and you would need reservations well in advance, I would think. We went to SCYC (only time) at the very end of May-beginning of June 2009 and loved it.

Arvada, CO
Level Contributor
199 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Considering an early April trip to SCYC-- good?

Thanks, DnAMobile, that's a great idea. I think(?) the Regatta is in late April? (I hope!)

Kansas City...
Level Contributor
5 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Considering an early April trip to SCYC-- good?

My husband and I were there in early April of 2009. FANTASTIC weather!

Arvada, CO
Level Contributor
199 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Considering an early April trip to SCYC-- good?

Thanks for the replies. It's actually going to end up being late March. Just reserved 4 nights at SCYC (Key Lime). 8 months out, but things were filling up, especially in April.

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
800 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Considering an early April trip to SCYC-- good?

I wouldn't worry about the weather in April. March and April have pretty reliable warm, sunny weather. Enjoy. Are you still planning on heading to Peace n Plenty?

Arvada, CO
Level Contributor
199 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Considering an early April trip to SCYC-- good?

@7milesailing: Maybe. We're not as set on our accommodations on Great Exuma. P&P looked interesting just for the social and historic factor, but I'm looking at a couple of other moderately priced places, as well. It also looks as if our friend and her two kids (9 and 12) may be joining us on this trip. I think the kids are all a great age for this kind of adventure. I know that my daughter is really looking forward to it. In the past three years, she's been with us to Jamaica once and the Riviera Maya three times. She and I are partial to beaches. My husband probably would prefer we vacationed in Antarctica, but even he's excited for this trip as it's a lot different than the others we've been on.

MA
Level Contributor
87 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Considering an early April trip to SCYC-- good?

How do you get from Exuma to St Cay?

i want to do the same

Williamsburg Va
5 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Considering an early April trip to SCYC-- good?

I was considering the same thing -Georgetown area, then a few days on Staniel Cay. Islands so close but so very difficult to book. I had a hard time finding information on someone that would do that. The owner of SCYC gave me two local private pilot names. I called one and the 20 minute flight was going to cost $400 bucks one way. So if you're willing to pay that, then you should be fine. That cost threw a wrench in my budget, so I am just staying at SCYC for the week.

9. Re: Considering an early April trip to SCYC-- good?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:33 am, April 29, 2011