We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Questions?

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
2,984 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
Questions?

We have rented this place for our trip in October. The owner has been very nice :)

www.homeaway.com/vacation-rental/p942603

I have a few questions:

Should we rent a car? We do like to explore, but I have read that the people are so nice, that they will just pick you up if they're going the same way.

Beer. How expensive is a case of beer? Something like Bud?

Should we bring our snorkel gear?

Can we bring frozen food in for bar-b-que?

Thank you!

Houston
Level Contributor
1,659 posts
180 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Questions?

We have rented the place before (in March 2014).

If you like to explore, get a car for a day or two, but also look into a boat rental to hit the beaches and sights in the area. Palm Bay has a shuttle into town that's very convenient.

Don't remember how much the beer was, but I have previously posted grocery prices.

Snorkel gear can take up lots of suitcase space but you can rent gear at Palm Bay and Minn's.

There's been recent discussion about bringing food/frozen items in. My feeling is that you are on vacation, so enjoy yourself! send the extra $1-$2 for chicken/steak/burgers and buy locally.

Gastonia, North...
Level Contributor
3,352 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Questions?

Yes the people are very nice in the Exumas but I would never assume that you can rely on their hospitality to tote you where you need to go. Plus gas is over $6 a gallon so the locals don't really need to be stopping and picking up tourists who have the means to pay for their own rental vehicle. Great Exuma is 60-ish miles long so if you want to explore you will need your own wheels.

The local shops are pretty well stocked. Just depends on your travel style whether to bring food or not.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
2,984 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Questions?

Thanks everyone. The prices of the groceries don't look that bad. On vacation, what can you do. Sometimes I think it's just worth it to eat out :)

Anyway, we do plan on renting from Minns. We use to own a boat in NJ, but still makes me nervous. Just the way I am. That anxiety thing about everything.

Didn't know the Island is 60 miles long. I thought it was tiny, but we'll try to get in as much as we can.

Definitely not bringing a lot of clothes. Learned that going to STT, plus we have a washer and dryer.

North Fort Myers...
Level Contributor
1,191 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Questions?

We paid 38.00 for a case of Sands at Bristol Wine and Spirits. It's up near Sandals Emerald Bay rather than in George Town, but it you like to explore you'll definitely want to check out the beaches (and beach bars) on the North End. When we were there in May, the beaches up that way were empty.

5. Re: Questions?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, July 03, 2015