We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Exuma Cays Tours - what is included and true cost

Roseville...
Level Contributor
1,597 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Exuma Cays Tours - what is included and true cost

I have read tons of posts about all the different tour operators and I'm trying to get a handle on true costs. I know some come with lunch, some with drinks, some you have to pay for lunch and entrance to Compass Cay. Some might not even go to Compass Cay. We're looking at doing a full day tour and I need help figuring out who provides what. What I would like to know is which ones provide the following items:

Pick up from hotel (Sandals Emerald Bay)

Provide drinks including beer and rum punch

Provide Lunch

Goes to Compass Cay

Includes entrance fee to Compass Cay

Hours (9-5, 10-4, etc)

Big boat (20 people) or small boat

Fast boat

Shade on boat

Any help would really be appreciated. I have the costs for most of them and I am looking at these operators, let me know if I missed anyone:

4C's (Exuma Water Tours)

Sugar's

Exuma Cays Adventures

Coastline Adventures

Exuma Water Sports

Roberts Island Adventures

I know that Exuma Water Sports seem to be very highly recommended but they're $90 more than 4C's who also gets good reviews. Are they worth that much more?

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
2,930 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Exuma Cays Tours - what is included and true cost

We went with 4C's (Exuma Water Tours) in March. Cost was $160 per person including the pickup and drop off at our hotel which was at Exuma Beach Resort. I know they do pickup at Sandals as we picked up some guests there that were doing their own charter.

They had bottled water on the boat. No rum punch, no beer, etc which was ok with us. Lunch stop was at SYC and the cost was not included. We ordered a couple of sandwiches and sodas and our bill was only in the $30+ range total.

We stopped at Compass Cay. You only pay if you want to swim with the sharks. Otherwise there was no fee to just look and pet the sharks when they go on top of the dock.

4C's has several boats. We were on one that could accommodate 12 but we only had 8 that day. It was a fast boat and a smooth ride. I was concernd about boat size as I do not like small boats and bumpy long rides. Did not experience that here. We would definitely go with them again. There first two rows of the boat did not have shade but the rest did.

Capt Andrew was great! When we got to Thunderball Grotto it was high tide and a lot of current. He switched up the schedule and we hit the grotto on the way back instead when it was low tide and no current. We really appreciated that he was safety conscious.

It was a full day. We probably left the dock in Barreterre at around 9:30 and got back close to 5 pm.

If you decide on 4C's, book the, directly. I have read that if you book thru Sandals the cost is double!

Edited: 8:36 pm, June 13, 2014
Washington DC...
Level Contributor
2,930 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Exuma Cays Tours - what is included and true cost

Sorry for the typos. I can't type worth a lick on a touchscreen!

new york
Level Contributor
40 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Exuma Cays Tours - what is included and true cost

Hi, Exuma water sports $250 includes everything( drinks,lunch,transportation,swimming with sharks) 9am-5:30. Exuma cays adventure $200 includes transportation drinks but no lunch and you have to pay the $10 fee to swim with the sharks. Sugar adventures $200 I think they pick up not sure they offer drinks and conch salad no lunch and you have to pay to swim with sharks. I hope this help, we are going in July and I have the same dilemma.

Houston
Level Contributor
1,867 posts
201 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Exuma Cays Tours - what is included and true cost

We have been with Exuma Cays Adventures 4-5 times so far and will use Peter again.

Cost around $200. He will probably pick you up at Sandals depending on tides/wind as there isn't a dock/pier there.

The rest of the trip is on the fly! Wind, weather, tides, crowds will all play into the best places and times to go. The sandbar at Musha used to be awesome, but storms have pretty much torn it down and now Peter stops at another awesome place. If the tide is going up at the grotto, he might bring you back later, he'll try to get you to the pigs before they get filled up also!

The boat is fast, very comfortable and has shade if you want. It will seat up to 12 or so which is a great number. Some of the boats are like little cruise tours with 20-30 people on board and everyplace you go will be crowded. Yes, of course they serve lots of rum punch, so you won't remember how bad it was!

We have had lunch at Staniel Cay and at Little Farmers Cay before. Both were great and it was 'on our own'. Another tour was there and they had the food in warming trays buffet style for them! We ordered fresh off the menu.

You can read all the reviews about all the guys for the trips, but they all do a great job. There will always be one disgruntled person, but the people are very proud of the island.

Bottom line, you really can't make a bad choice!

Roseville...
Level Contributor
1,597 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Exuma Cays Tours - what is included and true cost

Thanks everyone for all the help. It will be a hard choice because all of them do seem to be very good!

Lexington, South...
Level Contributor
35 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Exuma Cays Tours - what is included and true cost

Lori,

Have you booked anything yet?

Here is my review form 2011 regarding our day with Four C's.

"Another early day as we are doing the Exuma water tour. Sandals charges $375 per person Four C's Adventures charges $160. Hmmm, am I missing something here? OK for full disclosure you need to add $8 for the swim with the sharks and you pay for lunch, but Four C's still wins on price. I have read good reviews on them so I go for it. I called Captain Pat at Four C's on Sunday. I leave a voicemail but he calls back quickly. He confirms $160 and says he will have a taxi at reception at 8AM. As promised the taxi picked us up at 8 on the money and drove us to the dock. We met the others on the trip and we were on our way. While the boat holds 12 and we had 11 on the trip it was still a comfortable ride. We started out the trip by checking out islands owned by the rich & famous and admired Starfish Bay. We then moved on to a small restaurant to order our lunch. We moved on to snorkel Thunderball Grotto, checked out a sunken drug plane and then on to the swimming pigs!!! After the pigs we moved on to snorkel with the nurse sharks. After the nurse sharks we took a fast ride back to the restaurant for lunch (trying to beat a black cloud/rain). By the time we were done with a relaxing lunch the sky was clear and we moved on to feed the iguanas and walk on a sand bar. I highly recommend Captain Pat and Four C's!!"

Roseville...
Level Contributor
1,597 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Exuma Cays Tours - what is included and true cost

Tim, we haven 't booked yet. I was planning on waiting till we are there. We just found out that hubby is going to have to have both hips replaced on September 8 so we are going to wait and see how he feels. We arrive on October 29 so we don't know if he'll be able to ride in a boat all day (I'm hoping sitting on the plane will even be ok!). We may look at the half day trip. We definitely have 4Cs at the top of our list because they have the best price.

Thanks for posting your review, it helps!

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
3 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Exuma Cays Tours - what is included and true cost

We used coastline in April, 180 per person if you pay for lunch on your own, 200 if you want lunch included. I think our lunch on Farmer's Cay may have cost $11 total.....We did not pay the enterance fee at Compass and no one asked us for it. They did provided water, alcohol. ~8a-6p. long day but totally worth it at least once!

9. Re: Exuma Cays Tours - what is included and true cost

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, August 03, 2015