We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Questions about where to stay

Exeter, New...
Level Contributor
612 posts
Save Topic
Questions about where to stay

I have just started researching the Exumas as a possible vacation spot for our family next year (3 boys aged 10, 8 & 4). We typically go to Turks and Caicos every March, but are thinking of making a change next year. We tend to prefer places that are more secluded - when at TCI we stay on North Caicos and rent a villa, so the beach is pretty much ours. We don't really prefer big resorts with lots of people.

I have no idea where to even start and what areas are best. We would love to be beachfront, so we could just walk out of the house to the beach. Also, somewhere where there aren't huge waves, so we don't have to worry about the kids swimming. My husband also has his captain's license, so renting a boat would be a fun possibility.

thanks for any thoughts or suggestions...I feel guilty for even thinking of going somewhere else, but thought the beaches here look similar to what we are used to.

Gastonia, North...
Level Contributor
3,121 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Questions about where to stay

In March for the Bahamas, I would go as far south as possible. Great Exuma seems like a good choice or maybe even Staniel Cay. I think it would be too cool in the Abacos in March but that's my opinion. We like warm water. Geographically you're not straying too far from T&C. We haven't been there yet but if we did go, like you, it would be one of the lesser populated islands like Grand Turk or North or Middle Caicos.

You can rent a boat in Great Exuma or Staniel Cay. There are lots of home rentals on Great Exuma and I would focus on Emerald Bay, Hoopers Bay, Tar Bay or Tropic of Cancer beach (actually on Little Exuma). The water is sheltered by many off shore cays so it is almost always very calm. At Staniel you are pretty much limited to the yacht club and they book up quickly but there are a couple of other rentals. Check vrbo.com.

Flic En Flac
Level Contributor
246 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Questions about where to stay

Grand Isle would be good if you are accustomed to a fancy spot like TC. Emerald bay is cared for and though it has waves, if it's rough, you can use the pool at Grand Isle, which is very nice and I think heated. Anyway perfect for kids. Great restaraunt, Pallapa Grill on site. Close to town for supplies, across the street for alcohol, free golf cart for touring the golf course etc. We loved it. Villas are top knotch. You wont find nicer.

10 min or so from the airport. But, no airplanes flying over the resort. Activites like beach bonfire etc. They also help attange resevations for boats, tours etc and don't gouge like Sandals which is next door. Check out the reviews and photos on TripAdvisor. Make sure to get a car and hit the other beaches. Coco Plum, Jolly Hall etc.

Edited: 1:31 pm, April 03, 2014
new york
Level Contributor
34 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Questions about where to stay

We rented the sundowner house in hoopers bay very calm water almost secluded, check VRBO#809939ha, has 3 bed and 3 bath not fancy but nice we paid $1675 or check homeaway the Undensville house in tar bay exuma it looks nice, i love turks and caicos too. I hope this helps.

Halifax, Canada
Destination Expert
for Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
4,480 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Questions about where to stay

Hi 3boys...... I'm just jumping over to this forum so that I too can gather info! We have also stayed on North Caicos and most recently Grand Turk and Salt Cay......so I understand what you're looking for!

From the research I've done, I think Staniel Cay might be perfect! I think that's going to be our choice when we decide to travel somewhere other than TCI. I love the idea of seeing the swimming pigs!

Enjoy the research!

Little Exuma
Level Contributor
202 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Questions about where to stay

You can also stay on the mainland of Exuma and go on a tour/excursion to see the swimming pigs.

Exeter, New...
Level Contributor
612 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Questions about where to stay

Thanks all for the suggestions and house suggestions. Grand Isle looks very nice, although may be a little too "crowded" for our tastes. Honestly we like being secluded...also online it shows no availability for the entire month of March next year :(

Good to see you Maca...I feel like these islands may be similar in feel to the "quiet" islands of TCI and I would SO love to see the swimming pigs. Unfortunately we are spoiled when we stay on North, as we really love the house and the set-up, so finding something similar that doesn't break the bank is difficult. We will see...

7. Re: Questions about where to stay

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, April 06, 2015