We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Three questions: meat,$$ & watering hole

ontario, canada
Level Contributor
309 posts
Save Topic
Three questions: meat,$$ & watering hole

Looking at renting a cottage next March.

Would like to have some idea if there is a

reasonable good selection at the grocery store.

What is your favorite watering hole &

is it possible to bring in meats on the plane from

Toronto?

We stayed at Sandals last year and rented a car

for one day and only drove through the main hub and

stopped at Santana's.

Key Largo, Florida
Level Contributor
149 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Three questions: meat,$$ & watering hole

There is an adequate selection at Exuma Market but some things will be much more expensive than home (ie. price of lettuce is 5x's more). You may bring meat in if it's in its original sealed packaging.

The best restaurants & watering holes will require you renting a car to reach the sixty mile spread of islands one-way, end to end. That stretch contains the 10 of the best on the island with exotic drinks, goombay smashes, kaliks, the freshest local lobster, grouper, bahamian coconut bread, conch salad, etc.

You will need a car to reach all of them:

- Exuma Point Beach Bar & Grill (Barreterre, NE tip of Great Exuma, (my favorite waterfront bar-food combo and vibe, w waterfront views in Exuma, by Elvis and Maryann),

- Club Le Shante (Forbes Hill, Little Exuma, Dwight serves nice drinks and food with stunning waterfront views and beaches),

- Big D's Conch Shack (Steventon. Kalik and conch salad time! Enjoy Coco Plum beach and the sand bars for the best sand dollars and miles of walking in Exuma),

- Eddies Edgewater (in town, featuring rake 'n scrape nights and great Goombay Smash),

- Santanas (Williamstown, Little Exuma, some of the best drinks and freshest seafood you will find anywhere by Dee! And the beach),

- Catch-A-Fire (Moss Town, Live entertainment Wednesday & Saturday! Variety of fabulous drinks, swimming pool, dancing, waterfront sunsets, nice variety of yummy dishes but order early),

- Cheatahs (past town for some Kaliks and very nice local seafood),

- Exuma Palms Blu Restaurant & Bar (Some of the best exotic drinks on the island! You will eat one of your best meal here at Three Sisters Beach),

- Shoreline Beach Club Bar & Restaurant (Rolleville. Kevin and Violet serve 'em up and are wonderful. Great place for excellent drinks and food on the waterfront! Enjoy some clear, calm beaches and wonderful beach combing). . . . . .

ontario, canada
Level Contributor
309 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Three questions: meat,$$ & watering hole

My My My that is an adequate selection. We like sitting around

with the owners of there establishment and chatting about there life.

Thank you for your time.

Houston
Level Contributor
1,947 posts
201 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Three questions: meat,$$ & watering hole

Selection of food in stores is usually pretty good. Yes, it's more expensive, but it's an island and you're on vacation so don't worry about paper towels costing $1 more than what you pay at home!

The list from island time is great! From a 'chill' perspective, I like Eddies, Chat 'N Chill and the bar at Peace and Plenty is pretty good some nights.

Kitchener, Canada
Level Contributor
445 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Three questions: meat,$$ & watering hole

I was there last month, brought most of my food for out cottage rental in my carry on, no problem, much better quality and prices back home. no issues with customs. loved the bbqs near the boat scrapyard on the way to hoopers bay, and santanas. but my fave is still chat and chill. and rake and scrape, peace and plenty on thurs night!

toronto
Level Contributor
193 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Three questions: meat,$$ & watering hole

When we go to Exuma we go to St. Lawrence Market here in T.O....buy our meats and freeze them. In fact we bring a suitcase full of food except of course the perishables, bread, eggs, milk etc. and buy that when we get there at the grocery store in Georgetown. Never ever had a problem. Enjoy Exuma ....it is my favourite place on earth :)

Delaware
Level Contributor
36 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Three questions: meat,$$ & watering hole

Not sure if you booked yet but I would strongly discourage from renting Sea Garden House. PM me for more information. I stayed there in May.

ontario, canada
Level Contributor
309 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Three questions: meat,$$ & watering hole

andrewvargo Thanks for the update. I do remember reading your

warning before. As I look at the Pics from the rental web site I did see

many blue tarps hanging on the one side of the property. That's enough

to make someone think hmmmmm what's with that. Hope more people

read this.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
246 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Three questions: meat,$$ & watering hole

It looked to me like Grouper, Mahi-Mahi, Lobster, and Conch were abundant as well as beer and rum. Produce and Coca Cola were more scarce. I didn't bother worrying about Beef, Chicken, or Pork. They are so readily available back home.

Kiel, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
22 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Three questions: meat,$$ & watering hole

Just got back from a great week in great Exuma. The grocery stores are well stocked. No need to bring your own meat there is an excellent meat deli just south of hoopers bay. Its just north of Georgetown. We found the meat very fresh and the people who run it very informative. It is in a small blue strip mall. Also the only store on the island open on sundays is there to. The prices are not that far out of line in my opinion.

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
164 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Three questions: meat,$$ & watering hole

Really unless you re a big crowd don t bother w frozen stuff. Loved the local seafood available from the fisherman when we were in eleuthera. I assume its very similar.

Once I took frozen bacon, coffee, and sugar ( in a Baggie duh dummy) anyway grand Caymen authorities ripped through my suitcase to shreds and I left a nasty brown trail behind!!! Haha. Buy local.