We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Peace and Plenty vs. St. Francis vs. ???

Atlanta
Level Contributor
311 posts
38 reviews
Save Topic
Peace and Plenty vs. St. Francis vs. ???

Hello all. We looked at Exumas for our 10th anniversary trip last year, and ended up cancelling our Staniel Cay reservations in favor of a trip to Belize. In hindsight, I believe that to be a mistake! So we are definitely going this year, but Staniel Cay is fully booked for our dates.

We've chosen to do Great Exuma (will do a full day boat trip to the outer Exumas to swim with pigs, etc) but are on a bit of a budget, ruling out Grand Isle, etc. Plus, our style isn't really to stay inside a pristine resort - they are nice, but I like to get to know a place a bit.

My choices right now are Club Peace and Plenty or St. Francis. I like Peace and Plenty's location, its watering-hole atmosphere and the fact that we get a night free since we are there over our anniversary. Is this a good choice? I understand we're not directly on a beach, and that's fine. A waterview room is available and will suit us nicely. Sounds like a convenient location and I figure between our day trip, a trip to Stocking Island, and a car rental day, we won't be at the hotel a ton anyway.

Solid choice for a first timer or is there another suggestion?

Atlanta
Level Contributor
311 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Peace and Plenty vs. St. Francis vs. ???

Anybody? What about Hideaway at Palm Bay? Near town as well?

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
31 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Peace and Plenty vs. St. Francis vs. ???

Have you considered stayin at a vacation rental instead of a hotel? We stayed at Coral Sands, which is run by Peter and Betty Oxley, for our first trip to Exuma and I don't think we could've done it any other way. They are very helpful with getting around the island and knowing what/where to see for a first timer.. I wrote a detailed review about my stay there on the Coral Gardens page if you're interested. Peace and plenty is a fun spot, but I'd rather have the option of going there instead of staying there...Exuma is all about seclusion to me though. The less people the better!

Mobile, Alabama
Level Contributor
2,852 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Peace and Plenty vs. St. Francis vs. ???

I second the idea of a rental home. I sent you a PM, too.

Atlanta
Level Contributor
311 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Peace and Plenty vs. St. Francis vs. ???

Thanks for the replies. I normally would do a rental home if we had a week or more on island, but this is a 4 night trip, designed as a quick getaway for our anniversary. We have two young children staying home with the grandparents and I am not inclined to grocery shop or cook on this vacation. I want breakfast ready when I get up.

Based on the island's offerings, excluding Sandals and Grand Isle, what are our best choices?

Great Exuma
Level Contributor
232 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Peace and Plenty vs. St. Francis vs. ???

i would say your best choices would be either palm bay or peace&plenty.palm bay is a mixture of villas&cottages..free shuttle service into george town and close to jolly hall beach..peace&plenty is a traditional hotel in a way,on the water but no beach but they do have a ferry service to beach on stocking island..they're directly in george town,which have banks,stores,restaurants etc. either way they're great picks but different places.

Mobile, Alabama
Level Contributor
2,852 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Peace and Plenty vs. St. Francis vs. ???

dash- is the new place open yet (where Coconut Cove used to be)? if so, what is it like? Since this is an anniversary trip I wonder if it might be nicer for a couple? Curious! Thanks.

Arlington, MA
Level Contributor
499 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Peace and Plenty vs. St. Francis vs. ???

I think you're talking about Exuma Beach Resort. I don't think their web page is up yet but they have a great facebook page:

https:/…372967342735457

It does seem a bit more couple/adult/romantic than Palm Bay (where I'll be drinking Kalik son!)

Atlanta
Level Contributor
311 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Peace and Plenty vs. St. Francis vs. ???

And this is why I use these forums! Exuma Beach Resort looks like it might be the ticket if the price is right. I understand it's not on the "best" beach, but that's fine. We plan to explore.

Arlington, MA
Level Contributor
499 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Peace and Plenty vs. St. Francis vs. ???

It's right next to Palm Bay, which is a short walk to Jolly Hall beach which looks quite fabulous. I think the "beach" in front of these resorts is good for wading, kayaking off, etc and as you said, there are plenty of other beaches close by to explore! Have a great trip.

*check out this google map of Palm Bay . . . it'll show you the proximity of the resorts and beaches:

https://maps.google.ca/maps?ie=UTF8&cid=4615691341051698415&q=Hideaways+At+Palm+Bay&iwloc=A&gl=CA&hl=en_uk

Houston
Level Contributor
1,659 posts
180 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Peace and Plenty vs. St. Francis vs. ???

I would second Palm Bay or Exuma Beach. Exuma Beach looks nice, but not much feedback yet. The beach front the two places isn't the best, but that's what a boat is for! Jolly is a few minutes away and you have Fish Fry just down the street. Nice central location.

Francis is great, but not as convenient to see Exuma Isl. Peace/Plenty has in town location, but no beach.

Happy Anny either way!