We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Volunteering/Donations

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
285 posts
57 reviews
Save Topic
Volunteering/Donations

We are headed to Sandals Emerald Bay from December 16-23 and can't wait to behold the beauty of The Out Islands. We've already been in touch with Captain Pat of Four C's to take the 007 tour and plan on renting a car for at least one day to explore. This trip is a bit of a splurge for us and while we planned to return to Costa Rica this year, something about Exuma called out to us! :)

What seems to be missing from our week-long plans is an opportunity to "give back" to the islands. Sandals offers a "Reading Road Trip" tour that involves visiting a school and donating books, but school will be out for the holidays at the time of our visit.

Are there any other opportunities to volunteer on the islands the week before Christmas? Or is there anything specific needed that we could bring from Canada that can't be easily acquired in Exuma?

Simply put, I would feel selfish if I visited and didn't try to give back. I'll be bringing a few children's books to give to the local library but any other tips are greatly appreciated!

Thanks as always Trip Advisors!

Kingston, Canada
Level Contributor
53 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Volunteering/Donations

Hi Canuck.Once we went to Cuba & prior to the trip we went to a dollar store & stocked up on pencils,eracers,colouring books etc to take down with us.Once there we scouted out a school out of the main stream & cabed over.It was priceless.It cost us $18 but to them it was worth millions.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
285 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Volunteering/Donations

Thanks rollsp! Upon looking at another thread, I have been reminded about "Pack For A Purpose". This organization outlines what items are needed in specific areas and facilitates delivery. Wonderful! Here's the link for anyone who may want to bring a few much needed items along. Seems like Sandals Emerald Bay is a depot for this organization in Great Exuma Nice!

packforapurpose.org/docs/countries/the-baham…

Happy travels everyone!

Edited: 10:36 pm, November 13, 2012
Kingston, Canada
Level Contributor
53 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Volunteering/Donations

Hi canuck.Last year at Beaches Turks we also donated cash for the cause.You can do that at check in.Makes you feel good to help others who are not as fortunate.

4. Re: Volunteering/Donations

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:16 am, November 25, 2013