We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sandals Resort in January - Pros and Cons for these 5..

Leicester
Level Contributor
121 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Sandals Resort in January - Pros and Cons for these 5..

Hi all.

I'm looking to do a Sandals resort in January for my honeymoon. Can I please have some pros and cons for the following resorts (in terms of quality, weather, beach, activities etc.. I'm sure those who have been to them will have a clearer idea on what to judge on!)

Sandals Emerald Bay

Sandals Grande St Lucian

Sandals La Toc

Sandals Whitehouse

Sandals Antigua.

Thanks in advance!

Mentioned in this post
Antigua
Antigua
Antigua and Barbuda
Milford...
Level Contributor
4,335 posts
673 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sandals Resort in January - Pros and Cons for these 5..

Been to SEB, SWH, & SAT (will be at St. Lucian properties next year)

Sandals Emerald Bay

Pros: short distance from airport, gorgeous beach with golf course on part of Emerald Bay, water tours (Thunderball 007 amazing!);

Cons: Some may not like the prop planes coming into the tiny airport, we had some issues with the food, but have heard there has been improvements; in January, may be a bit cooler than more southern properties in Jamaica and Antigua

Sandals Whitehouse:

Pros: Great beach with seclusion, so no beach vendors like other parts of Jamaica, every room has an ocean view, never feels crowded, property well spaced out, each village has a different vibe (areas for quiet and others for more lively entertainment)

Cons: a bit of a distance through windy mountain roads to get to property from airport(~1.5-2 hours), some may feel that property is too spread out but good for walking to burn some of those calories off!

Sandals Antigua

Pros: Large property with fairly new addition, long beach for walking

Cons: some may not like being bothered by vendors on beach as all beaches are public

Depending on your interests any of these properties would be great. The Sandals website can provide tours that are offered at each resort... We've taken tours with each property and have enjoyed them all.

Congrats on your upcoming wedding and enjoy wherever you choose!

Mentioned in this post
Jamaica
Jamaica
Caribbean
Antigua
Antigua
Antigua and Barbuda
Leicester
Level Contributor
121 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Sandals Resort in January - Pros and Cons for these 5..

Thank you so much for your reply! You made SEB and SWH sound amazing!.. making my decision even tougher :)

Milford...
Level Contributor
4,335 posts
673 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sandals Resort in January - Pros and Cons for these 5..

Both properties are wonderful, but if you are going in January you do need to consider the weather in the Bahamas (SEB)....that may help. You can always do SWH for the honeymoon and SEB for another trip!

Mentioned in this post
Bahamas
Bahamas
Caribbean
Ontario Canada
Destination Expert
for White House
Level Contributor
8,740 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sandals Resort in January - Pros and Cons for these 5..

Murtzzz...I answered your post in the St. Lucia forum and so am just copying over the same response here.

We've stayed at all the ones you mentioned with the exception of La Toc which we have visited several times on our two stays at SGSL.

The only thing I will add to the great info posted above is that for us the negative to La Toc is the hilly nature of the resort and the beach which has more red flag days than the Grande St. Lucian which is in a protected bay. But the views from some of the rooms at La Toc are breathtaking!

I also caution as Nikko mentioned about visiting the Bahamas in January...the water can be quite a bit colder than the other islands mentioned as the Bahamas are further north. We've been in January (cold water in sea and pools...cooler weather at night), March (very pleasant) and July (very hot!).

The ones you mentioned (except La Toc) are among my top 5 favourite Sandals in this order:

SWH

SGSL

(SRC) - you didn't mention this one

SEB

SGA

Mentioned in this post
St. Lucia
St. Lucia
Caribbean
Bahamas
Bahamas
Caribbean
Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
150 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sandals Resort in January - Pros and Cons for these 5..

I highly recommend to avoid Bahamas from late Dec to early March, the ocean temp will be on the colder side and if a cold front comes through the weather could go into the 40's and 50s, not the best honeymoon weather unless you want to stay inside all week :) We are booked for late March 2013 next year at SEB.

We have been to Sandals Antigua, La Toc, Grande St.Lucian, and Whitehouse, and it really depends on what your priorities are such as rooms, beach, food, activities, excursions etc...What is the most important to you?? I can then tell you the best place to go.

Mentioned in this post
Bahamas
Bahamas
Caribbean
United States
Destination Expert
for Ocho Rios
Level Contributor
4,160 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sandals Resort in January - Pros and Cons for these 5..

We went to SRB in April, and it was still cold! I recommend avoiding the Bahamas unless it is summer!

Jamaica and St Lucia have always been warm, and St Lucia is actually the hottest place I've ever been, and it was November!

Of SGSL and SLT, we preffered La Toc because of the two seperate areas, it felt like a bigger resort. The red flag was up a lot, but we went right after a hurricane anyway. Unless you're going to spend all day everyday in the ocean, it's probably not an issue.

Mentioned in this post
Bahamas
Bahamas
Caribbean
Jamaica
Jamaica
Caribbean
St. Lucia
St. Lucia
Caribbean
Arlington, MA
Level Contributor
541 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sandals Resort in January - Pros and Cons for these 5..

People complaining about the water temp ANY time in the Bahamas always cracks me up . . . average water temp in Exuma in Feb is 77 degrees . . . bath water in my opinion. Of course, I'm from Maine where the highest it EVER gets is 65 or so! : )

Mentioned in this post
Bahamas
Bahamas
Caribbean
Great Exuma
Great Exuma
Out Islands
Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
150 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sandals Resort in January - Pros and Cons for these 5..

Sorry TamsenTM, but I am from Montreal,Canada and I know cold water as well, trust me! When you spend thousands of dollars for a Sun and fun vacation no one wants to deal with water below 80 degrees in the ocean or pools..When I went to SRB (Nassau) in Dec 2010 the water temp was 72 and with the wind and outside temp of 65 degrees it was not comfortable nor enjoyable.

Mentioned in this post
Montreal
Montreal
Quebec, Canada
Nassau
Nassau
New Providence Island
Arlington, MA
Level Contributor
541 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sandals Resort in January - Pros and Cons for these 5..

I guess it's all in your perspective and what you're used to. I've been to Nassau and Eleuthera in February and had no problem swimming and sunning. In contrast, I was in Abaco last late June/early July and it was way too hot for me and my group and the water was so warm it wasn't even refreshing. But as they say, a bad day on vacation is better than a good day at work, no matter what the water or air temp! : )

Mentioned in this post
Nassau
Nassau
New Providence Island
Eleuthera
Eleuthera
Out Islands
Norwalk, Connecticut
Level Contributor
1,230 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Sandals Resort in January - Pros and Cons for these 5..

Murtzzz....Firstly Congrats on your up-coming Wedding & Honeymoon...I have been to Whitehouse , Antigua & St lucia to mention a few of our favorites..I would suggest St Lucia Grand..Whitehouse and then Antigua..you really can't go wrong with either of them..each has its own personality like a previouse poster stated it will depend on what you expect to get out of it and if your looking for a romantic or action packed experience..for us we found that the Grand was both but without all the venders on the beach and since there are 3 locations you get to experience 3 different location..we personally did not care for Latoc..to hilly for us and having to walk down the mountain or take the jitney to get to the lobby was not something that we would like..the water there is also a bit rougher but it has some spectacular views and great restaurants..but you could experience them without having to actually stay there..Antigua also has a special vibe..one which we feel is a true caribbean isle..with the ability to venture out on your own as we have done on occasion for both sigh seeing as well as shopping and just trying out some of the truly local eateries..and then there is our Favorite Whithouse..a true gem..not much of any wild nightlife although there are many entertaining things to participate in and be entertained by....you need to ask yourself what exactly it is that you want out of your honeymoon and once you have that determined you will be able to decide which location fits your needs best..hope I was also able to help a bit..again Congratulations I'm sure regardless which location you choose it will be exactly what you want. :) Safe Travels

Mentioned in this post
Antigua
Antigua
Antigua and Barbuda
St. Lucia
St. Lucia
Caribbean