We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car vs Boat rental for week

PA
Level Contributor
77 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Car vs Boat rental for week

What would be the best way to see the island (boat or car) if you have never driven a boat?

Also what size of boat would one need to fit 5 people comfortably?

I wasn't sure how you would know where you can dock your boat or if you would just drop an anchor offshore at the various beaches?

Is there any maps or suggestions of the best beaches to visit if you are going either by boat or car?

Great Exuma
Level Contributor
232 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car vs Boat rental for week

i would say do both..but not for the entire week do the boat rental for 3 days and do the car rental for 2 days

exuma
Level Contributor
289 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car vs Boat rental for week

I suggest you rent a car for the full stay. Then you can decide when you want to explore the island, when you want to eat out, when you want to shop, and when to drive to the only boat rental in town, Minns water sport.

Obviously rent the boat when the forecast is for a calm sunny day. Minns will instruct in how to anchor, where the snorkel spots are, what hazards to watch for. You are limited to the area of Elizabeth Harbour, but thats big, more than enough to keep you busy for several days (hey its not cheap... but its worth it !)

Any of their boats is good for 5 normal sized folk. Minns will supply maps and time to be back.

As far as maps of the island and details of places to see, where to eat, where to shop, your host, be it hotel or home, should have all this info.

Houston
Level Contributor
1,659 posts
180 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car vs Boat rental for week

A boat for a couple of days would be good. Check the Minns website as they have maps there so you can plan things out. There are MANY beaches to explore just within the harbour. I would suggest getting the 20 or 22 footboat. It will make for a MUCH more pleasant boating experience, especially if you lack knowledge.

Bonita Springs
Level Contributor
184 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Car vs Boat rental for week

I would say both as well, although I lean more towards the boat. The Exumas are a long island chain and to see them you need a boat. A car will be nice to see Great Exuma, but honestly you can see most of it on day. The other days should be spent on the water hitting places like Chat N Chill beach bar across the harbor on Stocking Island - Here is some info on Chat N Chill...one of my favorite little beach bars! rumshopryan.com/2010/…

I chartered with 4 C's Adventures to see the island chain. We motored up to Staniel Caye and saw the swimming pigs, pet the nurse sharks and snorkeled in the Thunderball Grotto. It was simply amazing.

Here is a list of the top 10 things to do in the Exumas. rumshopryan.com/2010/…

Now you can see why getting out on the water is so important.

Let us know what you decide!

Cheers!

5. Re: Car vs Boat rental for week

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:16 am, August 10, 2013