We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

boat rental in Tar Bay

fayet
2 posts
Save Topic
boat rental in Tar Bay

Hi! My family will be staing at the Causarina House in Tar Bay during the week of June 24-July 1. We wouild like to rent a boat and moor it in front of the property. Minn's does not allow for overnight mooring at this property. Do i have any other options?

exuma
Level Contributor
304 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: boat rental in Tar Bay

Minns is your only option for a boat rental.

You cannot moor it in front of Tar Bay property, Tar Bay is exposed to the Ocean and if wind picked up overnight the anchor would probably drag and now you have a major problem. (I lived nearby and had this happen with my own boat).

This is why you will have peace of mind if you know the boat is safely at Minns dock rather than bouncing around offshore.... Have you ever tried climbing on a boat when there is a swell??

Rent the boat, leave it at Minns and drive into town.

Canada
Level Contributor
634 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: boat rental in Tar Bay

Hi Shari L

I don't know if you have read DnAMobile's report but she has written about her boat rental with Minns.

Post # 2

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g147429-i786-k5420…

Annie

Edited: 10:43 am, May 22, 2012
MA
Level Contributor
434 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: boat rental in Tar Bay

We stayed on Tar Bay and rented a boat at Minn's for 2 days. It worked out great and wasn't a problem at all. Minn's is right down town and we were easily on the boat by 8:45 without rushing around in the morning. You have to bring it back by 5:00, so there was plenty of time to enjoy the boat. Enjoy!

Savannah
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: boat rental in Tar Bay

We'll be there at the same time, staying in Belle Mer. Do so every summer for a month. Come say hi! The "bay" can be totally calm or pretty rough, which the kids love the variety. Definitely can't anchor a boat. I would suggest taking the ferry to chat n chill and renting a boat when you want from Minn's. Or, Neville at Starfish is great for all sorts or tours. If you're super adventurous, go one an overnight with Dallas at Out island Explorers. So fun!!

FYI, I would recommend packing one of your suitcases with snacks, drink mixes, nuts, even frozen meat/cheese. Each person can have one 50lb. suitcase. Snacks are sparse and super pricey. I pack clothing for three kids and myself into ONE. There is a washer/dryer there. Honestly, you really need a bunch of swim suits and only a few outfits.

Also, I always bring a PWC sand anchor and an island float. Super fun for everyone, and doesn't take up much weight in a suitcase.

Mobile, Alabama
Level Contributor
3,429 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: boat rental in Tar Bay

Also, if you rent the boat for more than just a day then you do not have to be back at Minn's by 5:00 or any particular time until the last day when you turn the boat in. We kept the boat for a week so it was nice to be able to eat an early dinner at St. Francis and watch the beginning of the sunset and still be back at the Minn's dock before dark. This time of the year when it does not get dark until much later than 5, late afternoon/early evening was a great time for a boat ride even if not headed anywhere in particular. Like Joyce said, it was not really any trouble to go to town to get the boat and take it back every day- alleviated any worry of the weather changing overnight or anchoring issues harming the boat. They check the gas in the boat daily and fill it up as needed as well. Any questions, just ask. Have a great time!!

6. Re: boat rental in Tar Bay

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:16 am, June 22, 2013