We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Negative Sandals Emerald Bay Reviews?

White Rock, Canada
Level Contributor
148 posts
50 reviews
Save Topic
Negative Sandals Emerald Bay Reviews?

Any others out there concerned with the batch of negative reviews that have been popping up?

I appreciate that some people will whine about anything, but some of the complaints are with some basic expectations - i.e. adequate supplies, service etc. We are first timers going in about 3 weeks and some of these comments are making me nervous.

Kitchener Ontario
Level Contributor
811 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Negative Sandals Emerald Bay Reviews?

Although we have not been to this resort, we have stayed at 5 other Sandals properties, Some of the comments are perhaps legit based on THERE expectations but don't let that ruin your vacation.

Hair on the blackberry, out of straws, pool cold ( why would they heat it in the tropics?, have to ask for top shelf booze ? If you really wanted to complain you can always find something. If it bothers you that much, complain and don't except being brushed off. They do monitor Trip Advisor comments and should act accordingly.

IMO Sandals does put out a good product but be realistic, you are not the only one there. There are hundreds of other guests, serve how many meals etc so maybe you will get the odd poor meal. Also with the rude staff, it shouldn't happen but you may not always know what guest before you did or said ? Still doesn't make it right though.

Have you ever had a bad meal at home ? Rude family member ? Go to the fridge to find out your teen ager drank all the milk and didn't tell you or took the last straw ?

Be open minded and enjoy. Remember that each week a new group of guests arrive so everything will be different from the last week or the next including weather, service, chair reserving etc

Ontario Canada
Destination Expert
for White House
Level Contributor
8,544 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Negative Sandals Emerald Bay Reviews?

I always find it interesting that reviews can be so different among guests who could likely have stayed at the same place at the same time. It happens to us frequently! I read about complaints on getting lounge chairs or bad service in restaurants, yet we might find it to be the exact opposite! Negative reviews can be legitimate of course, sometimes it's due to a lack of research, and sometimes it's just a matter of not meeting personal expectations (which are different things for different people). Those that pop on TA for the first time with the express purpose of bashing a resort publicly so they can have their entire vacation refunded....lose credibility for me as I wonder then how much is exaggeration and how much is really true. There is a right and wrong way to complain about the things which impact your vacation.

We've been to or stayed at all Sandals resorts so have a lot to compare to within the chain. We really enjoyed SEB. Was it perfect? No...not perfect...but the things which weren't perfect were not deal breakers for us. I mentioned in my review that we were slightly disappointed in some of the food (we stayed prior to the new French Restaurant and Cafe de Paris opening), and the drinks at the main pool were hit and miss at the time we were there. But it sure didn't ruin our vacation! And we would definitely return to SEB...it rates among the top 5 Sandals for us.

If you have a butler, use them as your liaison if anything is not to your satisfaction...that's what they are there for.....to ensure your vacation is as perfect as possible. Also, if you find that there are certain food items that are out of stock...please remember that this is a small island where food stuffs are shipped in. You definitely won't go hungry.

Go and enjoy! It's a great resort!

White Rock, Canada
Level Contributor
148 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Negative Sandals Emerald Bay Reviews?

Thanks for the comments, greatly appreciated! I agree, you always gotta take these reviews with a grain of salt. Just made us a bit nervous after seeing so many great reviews to all of a sudden seeing a string of negative reviews.

Cheers and looking forward to our trip!

Long Island, New...
Level Contributor
89 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Negative Sandals Emerald Bay Reviews?

I wouldn't worry at all. My wife and I just returned from out third visit to Emerald Bay, and it was our best visit yet. We really enjoy going to Sandals resorts. We've been to Antigua, St. Lucia, Jamaica (Whitehouse and Negril), and the Royal Bahamian.. Emerald Bay is by far the best property for us! My review is almost finished!!

Milford...
Level Contributor
4,261 posts
608 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Negative Sandals Emerald Bay Reviews?

We've been to most of the Sandals as well as Beaches properties.....Agree with TP55 as we were there prior to the addition of the two new restaurants.....We did have some issues with the food but would still go back as the resort had many things we did love, especially the beach.

We also see reviews of resort (Sandals and others) and are surprised at how varying experiences can be.

Enjoy!!!!

White Rock, Canada
Level Contributor
148 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Negative Sandals Emerald Bay Reviews?

Thought I would provide a quick update for anyone interested. I sent an email to the GM of SEB (Jeremy Mutton) stating we were a bit nervous due to some of the more recent negative reviews that have shown up - a couple more as well since my original post including someone who is currently there.

Obviously reviews are subjective, but I was interested to hear what the GM would have to say when some people are obviously unhappy. Let me say I was very impressed that Mr. Mutton replied to my email very promptly. Very professional from my perspective to take the time to try and alleviate some of the nervousness of a first time guest. He commented they obviously take any negative comments seriously, but also understand you can never completely satisfy everyone. He outlined he was confident we would have a great time. Fair statements to me.

Thanks again to everyone for the positive comments. Your points and some additional comfort from the SEB GM have made us feel better about our decision. We were wondering at one point whether we should just re-book another trip to the Iberostar Grand in Playa Paraiso where we had a fantastic time last year. We have heard so many great things about Sandals and wanted to try the experience. So many repeat visitors, so they must be doing something right. We are very excited for our upcoming trip and hope this becomes an annual event for us. We are pretty low maintenance travelers, but not getting what you pay for does irk us. I'll be sure to post a nice detailed and objective review after our trip.

Cheers!

Ontario Canada
Destination Expert
for White House
Level Contributor
8,544 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Negative Sandals Emerald Bay Reviews?

Jeremy Mutton is one the most hands-on GMs at Sandals and you can rest assured he is quite aware of what his guests are saying. When we were there we saw him clearing up glasses, mingling with guests, bringing drinks to guests at the pool...just a very involved Manager.

I hope you enjoy your trip and will look forward to reading your review! Be sure to sign up for the SSG program...it's free and will give you many perks including $$ off your next trip to Sandals.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
38 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Negative Sandals Emerald Bay Reviews?

I too am starting to get very nervous with all these negative reviews. We are going in July. Look forward to reading your review.

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for White House, Negril
Level Contributor
13,043 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Negative Sandals Emerald Bay Reviews?

We are Sandals regulars like TP and have always found our Sandals experiences to be great. Create your own experience and form your own opinions, I'm guessing they will be good ones.

White Rock, Canada
Level Contributor
148 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Negative Sandals Emerald Bay Reviews?

Great review BeachGuyNY!