We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Food, etc ...

Fort Myers, FL
4 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Food, etc ...

Going to be spending 2-weeks with the family (kids 3 & 6) in Great Exuma ... renting beach house. Have a few questions if anyone can help:

1 - I'm told I can take frozen food to the island, we want some nice steaks, etc ... while we are there. What about fruit, is it available, should we take, can we take???

2 - I'm training for a marathon, is it safe to run on the roads (during daylight of course), if not, places to run

3 - What are the best restaurants? Should we just try them all? What is island grocery store food situation?

4 - Any other advise, must do/see, etc ...

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
800 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Food, etc ...

You can take frozen food - meats. Taking fruits and vegetables is not advised. Some fruit is available at the market.

I would advise against running on the roads. They are very narrow with many twists and turns and no shoulders. Everyone tends to drive very fast as well.

There are many good, local restaurants on the island. It's advised to always call before going to check on hours and menu, as they are always subject to change.

Restarants from Little Exuma to the north-west:

- Santana's in Williamstown right on the beach for lunch or early dinner - seating at a bar outside.

- Bonefish Lodge in Hartswell - a bit towards the upscale - nice dining room - don't fish the shark feeding on Saturday nights I believe.

- Cheaters - good Bahamian food - no frills - call ahead

- February Point restaurant - not sure of name. I've never been, but I hear there is a new chef and this will definately be upscale

In Georgetown

-Eddie's Edgewater - good Bahamian food on Lake Victoria opposite St. Andrew's Church, next to BBall courts. Don't be intimidate by appearance

- Peace n Plenty - Good spot for apps and a drink

Towards airport

- The Fish Fry - a bunch of food stands - bit of a food court - good time

- The Beach Inn (Augusta Bay) - a bit higher end

- Coconut Cove - hotel restaurant

- Splash at Palm Bay - a sports bar atmosphere

- Castaways 2 in Mosstown - real good spot off the beaten track - good Bahamiam food

Past the airport

- Big D's - Steventon - good conch dishes

- Cocoplum Beach - beautiful beach and good restaurant

Stocking Island

- PnP Beach Club - hamburgers and lunch items

-St. Francis - nice indoor/outdoor seating for lunch (or dinner) right on the hurricane holes

- Chat n Chill - great beach bar and lunch menu right on the hurricane holes - you can get fresh conch salad here too.

There are a few grocery stores around the island. Exuma Markets in Georgetown is probably the biggest and best stocked. When the mail boat is in, make sure you get your milk, eggs, other perishables.

Best advice for activities is to rent a boat for a few days from Minns Water Sports and cruise Elizabeth Harbor, and rent a car for a few days and tour the island. Lots to see and do.

Langhorne...
Level Contributor
86 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Food, etc ...

The last poster gave you soome good advice although a few things are outdated.

The best food on the island in my opinion is Santana's, you must get the lobster there . It will be closed over Christmas so just check with the locals to see if it is open before you head there

February Point had a great restaurant but it is now closed, unless something changed in the last 5 months. I would call over to Feb. Point when you get to the island.

Coco Plum was also closed due to the closing of the Four Seasons and they only served lunch anyway.

The Marina at Emerlad Bay (near the new Sandals resort) has a restaurant called Wahoo that is now open and I heard it is quite good.

If you feel like eating pizza, try Foxy's. It is take out only though

Other than the recommendation for Castaways which we did not like, I agree with 7miles sailing who I believe has some family on the island.

As for fruit, I assumed there would be great fruit since it is a tropical island, but that is not the case.

Georgetown market is definitely superioir to the Emerald Bay Market.

We will be there over Christmas so now that I know what you look like from your profile picture I will look out for you running on the roads

Sidney, Canada
Level Contributor
105 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Food, etc ...

Bring what you MUST have! For me that was my favourite coffee which I knew I would not be able to get! I did bring some frozen stuff, but would not do it again, really unncecessary. Favourite restaurant Castaways which was absolutely delicious, next to that the OutDeck at the fish fry. Lorena's peas 'n rice is even better than my own! I ran every morning @ 4:45 on the road and the only problem was getting home before sunrise and the awakening of the mosquitoes and noseeums. So peaceful and breathtakingly beautiful, it is hard to imagine a better place on earth. Enjoy!!

Fort Myers, FL
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Food, etc ...

Thank you for the feedback ... can't wait to leave (4 days and counting) ... is there a Christian church (any denomination) on the island where we could attend a Christmas Eve service?

Nashville, TN
Destination Expert
for Nashville
Level Contributor
2,718 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Food, etc ...

My 2 cents...

Yes, there are many churches, they welcome visitors. We went to the Catholic one (St. Theresa's) by Victoria lake ofr Easter. No priest available, so it wasn't a Mass.

My favorite restaurant is Santana's for outside dining. Bonefish is a beautiful space, the kids will be fascinated by the sharks. The food is fine, not particularly unique. We really like Splash at Palm Bay beach club for quick service, large variety. When we were there, Saturday night was BBQ night and it was great.

Chat N Chill is not to be missed. Rent a boat for the day and stop for lunch.

Finally, bring meat. You can buy grouper & lobster (ask your caretaker), but a beef tenderloin would be oh so good for dinner!

Where are you staying?

Sidney, Canada
Level Contributor
105 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Food, etc ...

Bahamians are quite religious and there are more churches per capita than any other country in the world. Off hand I can't remember how many are on Exuma, but you should not have any trouble finding somewhere for Christmas Eve.

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
800 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Food, etc ...

Try St. Andrew's Anglican Church (white with blue roof) on the hill across from Peace n Plenty in Georgetown. They've always had a very nice Christmas Eve service.

8. Re: Food, etc ...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, June 14, 2010