We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Going for first time July 21-25

mattggotu
Level Contributor
44 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Going for first time July 21-25

My wife, 8-year-old and I will be making our first trip (assuming I hear back from Palm Bay about our reservations) in July.

I convinced my wife this was a better plan than an all-inclusive so I'm really hoping this will be a great vacation and will probably be posting several questions in the weeks and months ahead.

My plan is to spend the first day close to Palm Bay. Day two checking out Georgetown, Day three checking out Stocking Island and day four going on a snorkeling excursion. My overall plan is to actively do nothing.

First question -- Does it make sense to perhaps mail myself some lighter non-perishable food? I'm thinking a box filled with coffee, sugar, cereal,chips, and cookies. And what about heavier items like soda and water. Are they so expensive on the island that it makes sense to load a bag of luggage up with a few 12 packs?

Second question -- Will we be able to get milk and cream at the grocery store? One of the few things in life I can't do without is cream for my coffee.

If anyone can give me a more detailed idea of what to expect in terms of the price of prepared meals I'd really love that info too.

Anyone thinking of going but having troulbe figuring out how to get here can drop me a line. I was able to figure out how to get here from Philly without paying an arm and a leg or spending a whole day traveling.

King of Prussia...
Level Contributor
306 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Going for first time July 21-25

To loveexuma: how much would a day adventure like that set one back?

mattggotu
Level Contributor
44 posts
1 review
Save Reply
12. Re: Going for first time July 21-25

Thanks for the info. 7milesailing has given me some great advice as well. Since we're only going for four nights I was originally thinking of packing very light but it actually sounds like we might as well take advantage of our baggage allowances and do relatively small carry ons and a full size piece of luggage each.

I'm thinking we should pack chips, cookies and granola bar type things, coffee, cereal, dry pasta and sauce. That should take care of snacks and a few meals.

Since we're arriving Tuesday afternoon it sounds like we may have good timing in terms of hitting the grocery store. Will we pass by it on our way to Palm Bay? If so, we may just want the taxi to stop on the way.

Hopefully things won't be too shut down when we go.

Nashville, TN
Destination Expert
for Nashville
Level Contributor
2,704 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Going for first time July 21-25

You will not pass the store on the way to Palm Bay. You will pass Smitty's, which has a liquor store next to it. Exuma Market is in town, PBBC is a very short drive. I wouldn't walk it because of the speed of the passing cars.

mattggotu
Level Contributor
44 posts
1 review
Save Reply
14. Re: Going for first time July 21-25

Is the liquor store a good place to get non-alcoholic drinks as well?

Palm Bay apparently will shuttle us into town.

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
800 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Going for first time July 21-25

Don't expect much beyond soda as far as non-alcholic drinks go. You'll need to go to the market for juice and such.

Rochester, Minnesota
Level Contributor
14 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Going for first time July 21-25

Our full day was around $500--plus lunch.

Tampa
Level Contributor
8 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Going for first time July 21-25

Regarding going to Stocking Island. Palm Bay shuttle called the water taxi for us and took us there to meet it. The price to SI was $12/person.

However, we waited until our last day to try out the free Hobie Cat at Palm Bay. It was so easy my 14 year old daughter quickly learned. Had I known how easy it was, I think I would have used that to go to Stocking Island. Not sure if the staff would mind or not. :)

Sidney, Canada
Level Contributor
105 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Going for first time July 21-25

If you like only one certain type of coffee, you might want to bring some with you; otherwise you should be able to get pretty much most of your regular groceries in Georgetown. There are 2 grocery stores to choose from and if you walk around the lake you will encounter both. Great sandwiches on fresh-baked bread at the Towne cafe. Check out the Fish Fry. Get out and enjoy!! Your only regret will be such a short trip!

19. Re: Going for first time July 21-25

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:35 am, November 13, 2009