We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2 weeks too long in Exuma?

Fairfax, Virginia
Level Contributor
115 posts
58 reviews
Save Topic
2 weeks too long in Exuma?

Never been to Exuma before. Is 2 weeks too long? Should we split our stay between 2 places?

Thinking about staying at Seastar near George Town and/or an apt. on Tar Bay.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Indiana
Level Contributor
291 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 2 weeks too long in Exuma?

You will love Exuma. It's so beautiful! But if I had two whole weeks to spend in the Bahamas, I'd try to split it. There are so many of these out islands that I still hope to visit! On my futures list are Long Island, Andros, and Eleuthera. Also, look into Staniel Cay. It's a tiny island with so much to see in the areas around it. There are several homes for rent as well as the Staniel Cay Yacht Club. But then again, two weeks in Exuma sounds like heaven.......!

Peace River, Canada
Level Contributor
193 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 2 weeks too long in Exuma?

While I agree that a two week stay on Great Exuma is too long for the average tourist, there is little to recommend in visiting another Bahamian Out Island unless you have very specific interests and vacation goals (birding, wreck diving, salt production, botany) which cannot be easily satisfied on the island. Few tourists will otherwise see much, if any, distintction between the islands that #1 listed.

Great Exuma is a largely undeveloped smaller island in the central Bahamas. The main settlement on the island, George Town, has a larger number of services and shops than is typically available in an Out Island community, but it's still very much a working town, and not a typical "destination". That is true, but on a much greater extent, to the rest of the communities on the island. If, however, you are seeking an isolated relaxation destination that is relatively little-touristed, you've hit the jackpot.

Colorado, USA
Level Contributor
174 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 2 weeks too long in Exuma?

Two weeks may be perfect, depending on what you are looking for. If you want to spend a lot of time on the beach, reading books, easy boating, relaxing with a couple of excursions here and there, two weeks would be a perfect trip. If you like all of that, but want to mix in another experience with a little more excitement, you could spend some time in Nassau on the way back.

As for places to stay in Exuma, it depends on your budget. The places from Tar Bay to GEorgetown are the most centally located for services, reataruants grocery stores etc, and are less expensive than Four Seasons and February Pt. I have not seen Seastar mentioned much on this site, but that dosn't mean anything. See who else responds. I alwasy stay at Palm Bay, but that's because I have a place there. It's rally comfortable though and very convenient.

Colorado, USA
Level Contributor
174 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 2 weeks too long in Exuma?

I just looked at Seaqstar's website. It looks awesome!

Nashville, TN
Destination Expert
for Nashville
Level Contributor
2,703 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 2 weeks too long in Exuma?

I would think about splitting between Eleuthera and Exuma. Exuma for the boating, Eleuthera for the beaches.

BTW, we spent a few nights at the Palm Bay Beach Club in their new 2 BR villas (#37) and it was GREAT! They upgraded us and I have to say that we were very impressed. Super nice accomodations, well-kept property. Good restaurant with very good service. The only thing that Tar Bay (where we stayed for the rest of our visit) has over it is a long walking beach (which was very rough at times) and a bit more privacy.

I do love the boating at Exuma, lots of fun to explore, as long as it isn't too windy. What I love about Eleuthera is the many many beaches on both sides of the island. You can always find a calm place to swim and sun in privacy. I also think Eleuthera has some better restaurant options, and seemed to me to be a bit friendlier than Exuma.

Strandhill, Ireland
Level Contributor
473 posts
336 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 2 weeks too long in Exuma?

Myself and my fiance stayed for 2 weeks. We could have stayed another 2 quite easily! I'm not one for lazing around doing beach holidays, but Exuma is just super...if you like the water, snorkelling that sort of thing, you wont get bored...you'll relax!

Stockton, California
Level Contributor
36 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 2 weeks too long in Exuma?

fairfax, when are you going?

we have a week in june at seastar. we should help each other out if you end up there also.

have fun!

Fairfax, Virginia
Level Contributor
115 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 2 weeks too long in Exuma?

Thanks to all of you for your great advice!!!

Looks like there are many beautiful places to see in the Bahamas Out Islands and this is just the first trip of many based upon your glowing recommendations!

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
61 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 2 weeks too long in Exuma?

Hi, I have been wondering the same thing. just spent two weeks on Eleuthera and barely enough! Plus, it's not as if you can "island hop" like in Greece. to get from Exuma to Eleuthera don't you have to go back to Nassau?

Would appreciate input as I, too, am contemplating two weeks on Exuma and thinking about Sunny Gecko house, Casuarina House, and Paradise Point; anyone out there been to any of these places?

thanks for emailing!

J from CA

Nashville, TN
Destination Expert
for Nashville
Level Contributor
2,703 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 2 weeks too long in Exuma?

Casuarina House looks cute. We walked by it last week and talked to the renters. She said the kitchen was great, the bath so-so, comfy beds (hard to come by, we're finding).

Nice stretch of beach, very private. Definately caught our eye.