We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Just back form Exuma

Mobile, Alabama
Level Contributor
140 posts
61 reviews
Save Topic
Just back form Exuma

Just got back from a week in Exuma. had a great time. Not sure I have anything new to add to the blog but here are a few details:

Caught Sky Bahamas flight form Nassau. They were really nice and professional. Much better than Bahamsair.

The house we rented was FANTASTIC. It is called the Bel Mer house and is located on Tar Beach about 15 minutes from Georgetown and 20 minutes from the Four Seasons. Right on the beach, huge kitchen, 3 bedrooms with a 4th bunkroom over the garage.

The grocery situation was a little dodgy at first because we arrived on Saturday evening and it was the holiday week. the housekeeper bought essentials to tide us over till we could do some proper shopping. It turned out fine.

Highlights:

Chat-n-chill for the pig roast, conch salad and burgers. I highly recommend walking to the Atlantic side for some wonderful wave jumping. Also don't sweat it if you miss the pig roast cause the burgers are excellent as well. One tip.. Pay as you go. We ran a tab and it was VERY crowded we waited about 30 minutes to close out our bill. It's just more efficient to pay as you go.

Santanas was the best food we had. It was about 30 minutes from Georgetown but worth the drive. It was the best fish I ate and we all enjoyed it. it is not a restaurant but a roadside outdoor place where you sit on benches which face in toward the open air kitchen. Don't go if it's raining.

Cocoplum beach restaurant . good location on a quiet beach. I recommend the curry shrimp or a burger.

Spent New Years eve at Peace and Plenty. Home by 10:30. Not my favorite. Should have gone to the Four Seasons. I compared notes and the cost of dinner was about the same but much better at 4 seasons. However, we did stop in at Peace and Plenty after boating several times and having drinks by the pool was great. Beautiful view over to Stocking Island.

rented a boat from Minn's we were worried because I contacted them rather late and all they had was a 15' boat. Not to worry. It was very windy when we visited but the area between Great Exuma and Stocking Island is very protected. So even though it was a really stiff wind it only produced a bit of a chop

WE ate at the Fish Fry 2 times, once at Poormans and the other time at Charleys. Both were good home cooking.

Ate lunch at the Four Seasons pool restaurant. The food was very good and the Service was also exceptional. We tried to rent chairs on the beach while my husband had a massage but could not since we were not guests. The attendant was so polite that I had to think about what he said before I realized he had turned me down. We just sat on our towels and swam . The attendant did bring us kool pops and gummy bears while we laid out. It is a very nice resort, I felt like we could have been anywhere.

Overall great trip for my family of 4. I highly recommend renting a car and a boat for your stay.

One note every restaurant we ate at added 18% gratuity. I thought it was interesting. Sort of like Europe I guess.

Indiana
Level Contributor
291 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Just back form Exuma

Thanks for the great trip report! I sure wish I was sitting on the beach in Exuma right now (as the snow is piling up outside!)

Nashville, TN
Destination Expert
for Nashville
Level Contributor
2,704 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Just back form Exuma

How was Tar Bay beach? Did you rent the boat for just one day or could you taske it to your place?

Mobile, Alabama
Level Contributor
140 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Just back form Exuma

Tar bay beach was windy most of the time which was great for keeping the bugs at bay. I don't know if the wind is seasonal. Of the week we were there the wind died one day and we were able to snorkel and kayak right off the beach of our house.

It is a long stretch of white fine sandy beach with a couple of rock outcroppings which did not hinder our walks as they were easy to go over or around.It is pretty quiet and private since there are no hotels just private homes.

We could not keep the boat overnight. That is Minn's policy. The boat had to be back in by 5 which was fine because that is about the time it got dark.

Mobile, Alabama
Level Contributor
2,895 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Just back form Exuma

Mobilegirl,

I am so glad to hear that your trip was fun. Thanks for posting the report. I was sorry to hear the P&P was a bust on New Year's Eve. The house looks beautiful on the website.

One question for future reference- did you rent the boat all week (weekly rate or every day a daily?) and took it back to the harbour every afternoon? Was that ok or a nuisance? It has been many years since I was there and at the time we kept the boat the whole week either using it or tied to the dock at Coconut Cove- I did not know you have to return it every day now. Just wondering how that worked out.

Again, thanks for the report. I assume you had nice weather? I am envious since we are here in the rain and hot weather that is supposed to get cold again tomorrow- crazy weather in this town as you know!

Ann

Marathon, Fl
Destination Expert
for Marathon
Level Contributor
1,047 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Just back form Exuma

Thank you so much for your report! We are counting the days till our trip in May. Did you do any fishing?

paradiseawaitsyou
Level Contributor
16 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Just back form Exuma

Hi, You can only keep the boat over night if there's a dock to tie it up to, otherwise it has to be returned to Minns.

Colorado, USA
Level Contributor
174 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Just back form Exuma

I have rented from Minns many times, including the last week of 2008, and I have never even considered returning the boat daily. I stay at Palm Bay and moor it to one of the resort's 2 tie ups or simply anchor it. The latest trip was windy most days, but the anchor for the small boats is fine and I had no problems whatsoever. The water is shallow at low tide so it's easy to do. I think as long as you have a good spot to anchor (obviously a dock is best)you should not have to return the boat daily. An anchor is fine.

san francisco, ca
Level Contributor
28 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Just back form Exuma

Hi Mobilegirl,

Thanks for your report. I am actually at Exuma right now and also staying at Tar Bay.

You mentioned that in Tar Bay, it was rather windy, but once you got on the boat, it wasn't as windy as the area is somewhat protected. I am trying to decide whether or not I should rent the boat. Today it is 15-20 mph winds and very windy outside. I intentionally rented the boat for Sunday so that we can go to the pig roat at chat n chill, but not sure if we should continue to rent the boat or not. We also have a 2 year old, so if it is very choppy, it will be very bad for us. Do you recommend we skip the rental or go ahead with it?

Also, so far we have been eating in and not trying out any of the restaurants for dinner. It seems so dark outside and there are no lights. I am wondering, is anyone out there? Do you know if any of the restaurants you mentioned is indoor and worth going to?

Thanks again for the great report.

Boca Raton, FL
Level Contributor
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Just back form Exuma

I am traveling to Exuma this weekend. Thanks for your information-very helpful. I am staying at the Four Seasons. I wasn't planning on renting a car-but you recommend it. Do you know if taxi's are available? Expensive?

Indiana
Level Contributor
291 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Just back form Exuma

Taxis are readily available at the Four Seasons. Not sure of the cost. You could email the resort and ask about the fare to Georgetown. It's probably a per person rate. We rented a car, but didn't end up using it everyday. Our minivan was a $100/day through Thompson's. Airport Car Rental was about the same rate. If you don't think you'll leave the resort every day, then I wouldn't rent a car. I would suggest you take a taxi to/ from airport. And then rent a car for the days you want to leave the resort to go exploring. But if you plan to go out every day, then you might want the car. Have a great time! Exuma is so wonderful!