We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shelling on Stocking Island

Minnesota
7 posts
Save Topic
Shelling on Stocking Island

Our family loves to look for seashells. How is the shelling on Stocking Island? Thanks, SS

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
800 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Shelling on Stocking Island

Excellent. There are long stretches of shells deposited all along the ocean side of Stocking Island. They tend to be on the smaller side, but still very colorful.

Minnesota
7 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Shelling on Stocking Island

Thanks for responding. Are there many varieties of shells? For example, can you find olives, whelks, tulips, shark's eye, cones, and sand dollars?

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
800 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Shelling on Stocking Island

I'm sorry, I don't what types of shells you typically find.

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
800 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Shelling on Stocking Island

Not true, now that I think about it more. I've seen some cone shaped shells - on the smaller side. And from time to time, on the harbor side, I've seen sand dollars, but it's real hit or miss with them.

Houston
Level Contributor
1,740 posts
186 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Shelling on Stocking Island

The shelling is great. We've found lots of conch type very colorful.

Also, if you check on the 'south' end in the coves, close to where the Atlantic comes in, you'll find many different kinds. There are places where it's rocky close to shore, but at low tide you can reach the sandy bottom. It's also a fantastic place to snorkle in the tide pools. You'll see lots of rays!

Enjoy!

6. Re: Shelling on Stocking Island

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:19 pm, September 13, 2009