We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

advice on car/boat rentals needed!

Rapid City, South...
Level Contributor
698 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
advice on car/boat rentals needed!

Hi

We will be staying at Four Seasons...from what ive read its pretty isolated and far away from everything...Hubby and I want to explore all the beautiful beaches and private cays...how should we go about that?? I had visions of renting a small boat from Mins? and keeping it for a week at our hotel...but i dont even know if thats an option?? Should we rent a car for a week? How is the best way to get to the best beaches?? I hear a cab ride is expensive....Please advise. Thanks so much!

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
800 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: advice on car/boat rentals needed!

Yes, the 4 Seasons is isolated. If you want to explore then renting a car is definately worth it. Airport Rent a Car is pretty good. But, there are only so many beaches on the island (that are easily accessible by car). Renting a boat for a couple of days would be worth it. Minns is right in Georgetown (about a 25-30 minute ride away). From there you have all of Elizabeth Harbor to explore. Lots of beaches, the whole area is protected from the ocean. You can access all the beaches of Stocking Island and the bars (Chat n Chill, St. Francis, PnP)

Keeping the boat up at the 4 Seasons is not an option. Minns will not let you take it up there. Plus, it's very exposed to the ocean.

I would suggest renting a boat for only a few days. You may get tired of the drive back and forth after awhile. It's a vacation, you don't want to feel obligated to do anything.

Having a car will also allow you to access some restaurants in the area and cut down on the food costs. The 4 Seasons is very expensive.

Within a short drive of the hotel is Cocoplum Beach. This is a very nice spot with a beach restaurant. Enjoy

Rapid City, South...
Level Contributor
698 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: advice on car/boat rentals needed!

thanks for the info!

When you say rent a boat for a few days do u mean..rent a new one every day? I would have to since i cant store it at 4 seasons right? And then with renting a car..do i rent it for the entire 4 full days(5nights)....Or should i just hire a cab and rent the boat for 3 days? Sorry for all the questions but i just want to be clear ... :-)

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
800 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: advice on car/boat rentals needed!

If you are only going to be there for 4 days I would just rent a boat 1 or 2 days and enjoy the resort the other days.

If you do decide to rent for more than one day then you dock the boat at Minns' facilities in Georgetown. You keep the same boat the whole time but you leave it at their docks.

As for the car. I would get it for the whole time. Then if you decide to explore you have it there for convenience. The cabs can get expensive because of the long rides between the 4 Seasons and everything.

Scituate...
Level Contributor
25 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: advice on car/boat rentals needed!

good advice from 7milesailing -

rent car for entire trip, boat for 1-2 days.

ANY beach in Exuma is the "best" beach - you'll see!

sounds perfect!

Rapid City, South...
Level Contributor
698 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: advice on car/boat rentals needed!

thanks for all the advise...do u think we need to reserve a car before we get there or do they usually have some available at all times? Also we get into the airport around 730pm..will it be too dark and too hard for us to find our way and drive ourselves to the four seasons??

Scituate...
Level Contributor
25 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: advice on car/boat rentals needed!

you should have no problem finding a car available.

it will be dark, but there is only one main road, you really can't get lost. it will take about 20 minutes or so.

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
800 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: advice on car/boat rentals needed!

To be on the safe side you should make rental plans ahead of time. You don't want any surprises upon arrival.

The 4 Seasons will be very easy to find. Take the access road out of the airport. At the Queen's Highway go left. Travel about 15-20 minutes and you'll see it.

Rapid City, South...
Level Contributor
698 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: advice on car/boat rentals needed!

i emailed airport rental a couple weeks ago to ask some questions and they never responded? strange.

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
800 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: advice on car/boat rentals needed!

Best to call on the phone. Internet usage is still not widespread.

10. Re: advice on car/boat rentals needed!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:16 pm, September 08, 2009