We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flights/Type of planes

New York
Level Contributor
74 posts
Save Topic
Flights/Type of planes

Hi, we live in NY and would possibly be interested in going to the Four Seasons Great Exuma...it seems to me that we would have to fly to Nassau type area, and take a really small plane...anyone care to share the small plane size/type/how that went?

Thanks, I have only flown on Jet planes, my husband as well...I am nervous...thanks!

Huntersville, NC
Level Contributor
58 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Flights/Type of planes

Delta recently started offering jet service to Great Exuma through Atlanta. You might want to check those flights out if the smaller planes are a concern.

Nashville, TN
Destination Expert
for Nashville
Level Contributor
2,719 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Flights/Type of planes

American Eagle flies an AT7 from Miami. Over 60 seats, still small, but not as small at the 9 seater we often take over to the Bahamas. It is nice to Avoid Nassau if you can.

I must admit that the small planes made me nervous the first time, but since that flight, I have come to enjoy them quite a bit. my favorite trip was a charter for Fort Lauderdale -- 9 passengers and our pilot -- very cool way to see the islands.

The best part about getting there on a small plane is that you know not many people will be there with you! Who really wants to vacation with jets full of people coming in a few times a day? the out islands are wonderfully private, laid back, un-glitzy and authentic.

Washington DC...
Destination Expert
for Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
14,553 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Flights/Type of planes

I too am a nervous flyer. I've flown Continental Ft. Lauderdale to all the Out Islands, and I'm here to talk about it! ;-)

Continental uses small 18 passanger jets. I usually fly JetBlue down to Ft. Lauderdale, then connect from there to Eleuthera, or Exumas, or Abacos. From Ft. Lauderdale, it's only a 45 minute or so flight, and the flight is gorgeous! You'll be staring out the window too much to worry, so many shades of turqouise on the way. I much prefer Continental to Bahamas Air from Nassau.

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
800 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Flights/Type of planes

Illissa,

No worries here. Propeller or jet you'll be ok.

The flight options are much more extensive these days, compared to just a few years ago.

American Eagle has flights from Miami (but check that schedule. I hear they are cutting back a bit soon)

Continental has flights from Fort Lauderdale and soon Miami

Lynx from Fort Lauderdale

And now, as someone else mentioned, Delta will be flying to Georgetown starting in July I believe.

There are many flights from Nassau on Sky and Bahamasair, but I really prefer to avoid Nassau, really only because I always seem to encounter long connection times there and there really isn't anything to do at the airport.

With the smaller prop planes you don't fly quite as high and I feel the views are a bit better. I think someone mentioned that as well.

However you end up going you'll be glad you went.

Nashville, TN
Destination Expert
for Nashville
Level Contributor
2,719 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Flights/Type of planes

To add a thought...

In my experience, customs in Fort Lauderdale is a better experience than in Miami. If you have that option, especially if your connection is tight, you may want to go that way.

sc
Level Contributor
740 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Flights/Type of planes

the poster was dead on about MIA its the pits at we avoid it and Hartsfield at all costs.

We have had good luck with the service of smaller companies here out of millionair airport right by Nassau's; last time we flew a tiny 6 seater to Long Island, extremely smooth flight ,very capable pilot. Take Fight was the name of the company we flew with Marvin nice guy too. He was about $1000 one way,( for the plane)

Or you can just call up the airport and they will give you a quote from the pilots that are on that day. I think that day I called it was a little more $1500, shorter flights like Eleuthera were $600-800.

Tipp City, Ohio
Level Contributor
74 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Flights/Type of planes

Hello! I'm bumping this thread with an update.

We just returned from Great Exuma and flew Delta through Atlanta. They fly two or three days a week and use executive regional jets (ERJ's) with 40ish seats, so no worries about puddle jumpers :) We only had twelve people on our flight, so it was like being in an exclusive club, as if we'd found a destination no one else knew about!

The views from the plane as you make the initial descent are tremendous. Bring your camera! When you fly in, you'll arrive at the tiny Georgetown International Airport. In the little customs room, a sweet man with an acoustic guitar was playing "Jamaican Farewell." That's when you know you've landed in paradise!

On the way back, we got to the airport the requisite 1.5 hours before our flight. Turns out that wasn't really necessary! We waited in line for five minutes, checked our bags and picked up boarding passes, and then walked across the street to Kermit's Airport Lounge to wait for our appointed boarding time.

Customs in Atlanta is a breeze. We've been through twice now and were impressed with the efficiency both times. Do allow extra time for it if you're making a connection. It may be efficient and well-designed, but it still takes time to go through the process (walk down to passport control, go through the booth, collect your bags, re-check your bags, go through security scanners again, and then take the escalators back up to the terminal).

Our flight to the island departed about 20 minutes late -- no worries. Heading home, same thing. We allowed plenty of time for our connection in Atlanta, so it wasn't a problem. We've actually come to like Hartsfield -- especially compared to the nightmarish DFW and O'Hare. In fact, during layovers in Atlanta, we always like stopping for a quick dinner at the Paschal's cafeteria in Concourse A. Great taste of the South!

Hope this helps future fliers :). Safe travels!

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
89 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Flights/Type of planes

This is a great read. Will try (if possible) to fly LA to Atlanta and delta to GGT next time. I'm not scared of flying "small" planes. I'm used to 4-6 seaters but I can't stand MIA airport! The aircrafts used by american eagle to GGT are twin engines, so very safe.

Colorado, USA
Level Contributor
174 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Flights/Type of planes

I've flown all the connections and the new one thru Atlanta is by far the best, both the quality of the plane as well as the shorter layovers at the airport. Only drawback of flying the regional jet from ATL is that you fly higher than the prop planes and don't get quite as good a view of the islands.

Rapid City, South...
Level Contributor
697 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Flights/Type of planes

I hate to fly and was terrified when i found out our flight from fort lauderdale on continental was a tiny plane. but it was too late to cancel as the tickets were paid for. Im not gonna lie..i had a panic attack when i first got on the plane but managed to calm myself down. It was small tho! No flight attendants..and no doors on the cockpit..it was night when we landed so we saw the landing thru the front window! That was an experience! The same view as the pilots! LOL! but we survived and i didnt get motion sickness THANK GOD! But it was worth it as exuma was great! I may have to check out the bigger flight next time tho thru atlanta lol.