We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Can you convince me?

Stafford, Virginia
Level Contributor
11 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Can you convince me?

Upcoming second trip to Eleuthera, preferring peace, privacy & beaches. Planning two visits to Lighthouse Beach as well as many other beaches up and down the island. The smidgen of tourist in me wants to visit Harbour Island just once. Hubby not so much. Is the trek worth it?

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
2,502 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Can you convince me?

Could be. Depending on how much "peace, privacy & beaches" you would like. Going from the main island of Eleuthera might be comparable to going from Farmville to Washington DC. How much time will you spend on Eleuthera? Two visits to Lighthouse Beach and other beach visits will absorb quite a bit of time. But well worth absorbing all the peace and serenity the beaches on Eleuthera have to offer. That is why we return to Eleuthera. We started out at Harbour Island then discovered the real Eleuthera on the main island. We do visit HI every so often, but we are drawn to the solitude enjoying the beaches on the main island. If you have 10 days I say compromise and visit HI one time, it really is a lot of fun. Everything is close together because HI is only 3 miles long, and both ends of the island are residential. My wife really does enjoy driving the golf cart on HI - that is the only driving she will do in The Bahamas. What part of Eleuthera are you staying? Just for reference Pink Sands Beach (about 3 miles long) is the most crowded beach on Eleuthera - we walked the whole beach one day and probably saw around 75 people on the beach. Pink Sands Beach is probably in the top 10 on our list for beaches we have visited. French Leave Beach in Governors Harbour is very similar.

Edited: 10:40 pm, March 28, 2014
Flic En Flac
Level Contributor
246 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Can you convince me?

I liked HI as a day trip. We enjoy photography and there are many cool houses and awesome old gates and doors. We snooped around the hotels when we would ask, they are like sure come check it out. Whats it called the Rock or whatever, really cool. I got a kick out the girls having fun in the DillyDally gift shop as well. We stopped in a coffee shop early on and I scored there with the best coconut bread I ever tasted. It was a real bargain. I thought I was getting one piece as I spent like 6-7 dollars and I got the whole loaf! We pigged out as it was still warm and had giant chunks of coconut in it. Gourmet stuff. Then of course hit the beach, have a drink at SipSip or some such place. Finally, I am a fan of a conch salad and really enjoyed Queen Conch. Primo salad with some cool.variations we could share.

Edited: 11:10 pm, March 28, 2014
Flic En Flac
Level Contributor
246 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Can you convince me?

I liked HI as a day trip. We enjoy photography and there are many cool houses and awesome old gates and doors. I got a kick out the girls having fun in the DillyDally gift shop as well. We stopped in a coffee shop early on and I scored there with the best coconut bread I ever tasted. It was a real bargain. I thought I was getting one piece as I spent like 6-7 dollars and I got the whole loaf! We pigged out as it was still warm and had giant chunks of coconut in it. Gourmet stuff. Then of course hit the beach, have a drink at SipSip or some such place. Finally, I am a fan of a conch salad and really enjoyed Queen Conch. Primo salad with some cool.variations we could share.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
2,502 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Can you convince me?

Thank you TropicalbeachGuy for reminding us of the bakery on HI. They have the ultimate best 'Sticky Buns' - 'Pineapple & Coconut Tarts' - and the best 'Crawfish Sandwich' (Lobster) I've ever had.

toronto
Level Contributor
78 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Can you convince me?

We went for a day trip and it was worth the drive form French leave where we were staying.

Rent a golf cart and tour the island. Stop at pink sands, have lunch and stay on their beautiful beach. Queen conch is a great stop before you go back on the boat to eleuthera. I have some pictures posted on my website. www.cibobydavid.com under culinary adventures Eleuthera.

Spend a day in a paradise in Harbour Island!!!

New York
Level Contributor
611 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Can you convince me?

It depends on where you are staying. Harbor Island is pretty and near North Eleuthera. So if you are staying in S. this would be quite a drive.

Harbor Island is quaint and picture perfect - bit more 'developed' ' (???) than Eleuthera. Worth a day trip for photos - cutet little historic homes, drives only with golf carts and nice restaurants with ' chic' resorts. Bitr more expensive than Eleuthera. To me Harbor Ilsland seems 'cramped' - as it is a tiny island. --homes are closer together and while beach is gorgeous, it is a small island and once you've seen it, that's it! Not much more to explore. One day is more than enough! It is still very quiet compared to Nassau and other major islands. But it is not as 'quiet," as main island of Eleuthera.

If you have nothing else better to do and dont mind the long drive and ferry ride , go for the experience and photos. Travel is about learning and exploration. You might find that you will like it!

But, Eleuthera is the "real thing'- empty and pristine natural beauty with all the privacy in the world & with the basic amenities you need to survive. Eleuthera is tops for those who love to admire, experience, absorb and dream in privacy! or with someone special!

Westfield...
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Can you convince me?

We have been to Eleuthera 7 times for a 3 week period and have stayed in NPP & the Current. We went to Harbour Island once the 1st time we were there. It was different,a good day trip.. We went again 4 years later and to this day we can't figure why we went again. There's just too much to explore on the mainland. It's just too "touristy" for us. No matter what you choose,you'll enjoy Eleuthera.

Stafford, Virginia
Level Contributor
11 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Can you convince me?

Thanks Chicago Bear. Love the Farmville/Washington DC comment! We are staying in central Eleuthera just north of Governor's Harbor for 8 days,so HI & Lighthouse will be our longest treks. Thinking all day trips, yes?

Probably should have titled the post "Can you convince him?" - as in husband. I'm already sold after reading the posts.

Stafford, Virginia
Level Contributor
11 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Can you convince me?

Thanks for the link to the Culinary Adventures photos! Loved seeing them. We stopped in at Tippy's and Sammy's (home of my first ever Kalik) on our first trip in 2008. Is there a restaurant you would recommend on HI? Sip Sip seems highly popular! Would you recommend it?

Stafford, Virginia
Level Contributor
11 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Can you convince me?

We are staying in Central Eleuthera. Good to know about all the great photography opportunities on HI. - I am passionate about taking photos so I think a day trip there is now in the plans! Thanks for the input!