We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Food Planning for one week trip in April

socalmatt
Level Contributor
33 posts
Save Topic
Food Planning for one week trip in April

Hello Everyone:

You helped me pick a villa awhile ago for a trip my wife and I are taking in April. We decided to stay at Seacrest Villa on Tranquility Bay, just south of Cocodimama. We will be there for 7 days.

I've seen lots of restaurant reviews on here so I won't just ask for recommendations, but I can't quite decide how to plan the food strategy for this trip. We would rather travel light and will not be bringing in our own food. We were hoping to strike a balance between making our own meals, definitely for breakfast most days, and also enjoying eating out some. We want this to be a relaxing vacation, so we aren't looking to cook elaborate meals but also don't want to have to leave the house anytime we are hungry.

Right now, I figure that we will go to the grocery store to get food for breakfast and lunches we can take with us to the beach if we leave (sandwiches, etc.), and plan on eating out most nights. I was somewhat concerned, however, with whether we might get a little lost trekking around at night and it also seems that a lot of restaurants are open for lunch but not dinner.

Does anyone have some good advice on the optimal strategy for what we are looking for? Any insight would be much appreciated!

Windsor, Canada
Destination Expert
for Eleuthera
Level Contributor
1,914 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Food Planning for one week trip in April

We tend to eat out for lunch and then cook late at home when the sun is going down, but finding your way around at night is pretty easy from where you are. Within 10-15 minutes you have the Beach House, Tippy's, Sunset Inn, Buccaneer, Blue Room, Da Perk, Leah's Café, Kel D's, Sky Beach and most of those are easy to find. You are only 10 minutes from a couple of decent grocery stores so you will be fine.

Gastonia, North...
Level Contributor
3,526 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Food Planning for one week trip in April

Ditto what Windsor Dave said (breakfast in, lunch out, dinner in). But we so still go out to dinner once or twice and you can always just get takeaway and bring it back to the villa to eat. We don't like driving at night that much but we did do The Rainbow Inn for our anniversary dinner last time.

We have started vacationing more on Long Island and there are alot more street lights so it makes it easier to go out at night there.

Edited: 4:53 pm, March 07, 2014
savannah sound
Level Contributor
2,346 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Food Planning for one week trip in April

If you always eat breakfast 'in', you miss some really good Bahamian food.

Chicken souse, turkey souse, sheep tongue souse, boil fish, stew fish, tuna & grits, fire engine with bird pepper, fresh, hot donuts at GH bakery

Eleuthera
Level Contributor
2,570 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Food Planning for one week trip in April

I'm not as big a breakfast guy as DaHermit, but that sure sounds good.

If you want to travel light, and follow the reasonable plan you've laid out, there is no need for you to bring any food whatsoever. If you're at all fussy about coffee, bring some of your own. For sandwich fare, check out Banks Road Deli, they usually have some nice ham, cheese, deli meats, fresh bread and pastries daily. The grocery stores also have packaged sliced meats and cheeses of the usual grocery-store quality.

Plan your evening dinners around the restaurants that are relatively close to you and open in the evenings: Tippy's, Beach House, Sunset Inn, the Friday Night Fish Fry. Hit the other places for breakfast or lunch: Buccaneer, Pammy's Take-Out, the Blue Room, Kel-D's, Da Perk, etc. Your planning and intuition are pretty good, you'll do just fine.

socalmatt
Level Contributor
33 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Food Planning for one week trip in April

Excellent, thanks for the advice. I think I have a good handle on what to expect, now I'll just be daydreaming and counting down the days...

South Louisiana
Level Contributor
44 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Food Planning for one week trip in April

Bank's Deli is a must for baguette, cold cuts and Danishes. It will be on the right a little before you get to Tippy's.

Save Reply
7. Re: Food Planning for one week trip in April

We bring a cooler full of meat. You really can't rely on getting much here. I would bring meat and tuna and other essentials. I would eat breakfast and lunch in and go out a few nights. Make sure you go to Tippy's and The beach house. The Cove is excellent as well. Sky beach's food isn't spectacular but the pool is great.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
729 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Food Planning for one week trip in April

Bank's Rd Deli is great I went most mornings there for delicious warm chocolate Danishes and cinnamon rolls.

Da Hermit " fire engine with bird pepper " for breakfast I,am intrigued ! what is it ! sounds like you,d need your stomach lined with Connemara Cask single malt before you try it ?

Patrick, South...
Destination Expert
for Eleuthera
Level Contributor
1,623 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Food Planning for one week trip in April

Matt, don't forget about the take-aways. After a day of exploring you can pick something up and still have a great dinner at your rental. We have done this a lot if not wanting to drive after dark. This way you can get your food & chill at the rental until you are ready to eat. Lanny's in NPP has great food & you can get take-away from there (or eat there also) & from some restaurants (Sunset Inn) and reheat at your rental. You just need to plan ahead for it. Check the restaurant tab, you can stop for lunch, if you like the food order something to go for when you pass back on the way to your rental. Just an option for not cooking or driving after dark.

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
105 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Food Planning for one week trip in April

@Da Hermit.. isn't fire engine considered Bahamian corned beef hash? I think I had it at the Buccaneer for breakfast... definitely not the hash im use to. It was more like spicy chili to me.

Edited: 7:24 pm, March 13, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Eleuthera