We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

upcoming trip to Eleuthera

Boston...
Level Contributor
43 posts
1 review
Save Topic
upcoming trip to Eleuthera

Hello everyone... we are going to Eleuthera in June, we have our rental and our plane tickets taken care of... i have done lots of research on this forum and found tons of information... i must say this is one of the best forums i have come across. we have traveled the Caribbean, always enjoying every place we have visit and are so looking forward to Eleuthera it has been on our bucket list for a long time.....now the count down begins!!!

tireboy
Level Contributor
360 posts
Save Reply
31. Re: upcoming trip to Eleuthera

Sammys in Rock Sound has excellent Bahamian food at a reasonable cost

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
2,560 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
32. Re: upcoming trip to Eleuthera

swhtraveler - Call Peter Sands Taxi #44 if you need pricing & taxi service.

Cell - 242-470-0412 Home - 242-332-2285

33. Re: upcoming trip to Eleuthera

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 1:35 pm, January 24, 2014
boston
Level Contributor
18 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
34. Re: upcoming trip to Eleuthera

Small world ( -;

Thank you Tommy and you are right, your cousins have been very helpful and their quick and thorough responses to my emails are what sold me on the place (plus the reasonable price, I have to admit).

As we get closer to departure I'm sure I will have more questions, but plan on spending most of our time right there on our own beach. Of course we won't miss Lighthouse Beach, and Barbie's sounds perfect.. How far is Rosie's? Right now we are just working on flights for my friend who booked a flight to the wrong airport. It will cost $400 to book a new flight (Bahama Air from FLL to Rock Sound through Nassau) to avoid N. Eleuthera. And it sounds like the cab ride will be the same. So its a wash on price, I'm leaning towards sticking with the American direct flight from Miami and just dealing with the cab. Gosh that seems like alot of $$ but I know things are more expensive the more remote an island is. Is the ride at least comfortable (nicely paved vs. bumpy road?) I would rather spend my time driving down the "highway" on Eleuthera vs. waiting for a layover in Nassau.. I think?

Frederiksted, St...
Level Contributor
33 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
35. Re: upcoming trip to Eleuthera

Swhtraveler, are you renting a car? If so, take the time to go pick up your friend at ELH. You'll get to see a lot of the island just taking that drive. The ride from ELH is all paved road. Basically you take the the main road on the island South until you get to Tarpum Bay.

Rosie's is about a 25 to 30 minute ride I would say. It's just a couple miles from Ocean Hole in Rock Sound. Make sure you give Teddy a scratch behind the ears if you go to Rosie's. He's the greeter there and enjoys meeting new people. :)

boston
Level Contributor
18 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
36. Re: upcoming trip to Eleuthera

thank you!

Newark, Delaware
Level Contributor
17 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
37. Re: upcoming trip to Eleuthera

islandgirl-

It is almost June and you should really be getting excited for your trip. I have planned a trip for June of 2015, so if you could, pleas post how your experience was, everything from the weather to points of interest. Like you, I have done a ton of research, but have never been to the island. So I hope to be able to live vicariously through you when you post your details!!!

Lakewood, Ohio
Level Contributor
5 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
38. Re: upcoming trip to Eleuthera

We were on the island May 3 thru May 12 2014. We stayed on Banks Rd at French Leach Beach... WOW!!! (Club Med Beach) walking the beach for hours was our excitement most days, the most people we saw in one day on the beach while walking was 6... yes 6.

We ate at Tippy's for lunch or dinner several days and The Beach House also in town at The Buccaneer Club, the bakery in Governors Harbour around the corner from the smaller of the two grocery stores is amazing.

We did cook breakfast every day, eggs, toast, juice, coffee, banana (we did bring our own coffee).

We rented a car for the whole trip and I would recommend doing this.

The 30 mile drive to The Glass Window Bridge is pleasant with almost no traffic. The sight of the Turquoise Caribbean water and the dark blue Atlantic that close to each other is amazing!!!

About a mile or so south of the bridge on the Caribbean side is a small remote beach called Gaulding's Cay (across from Daddy Joe's) down a narrow dirt road, if you go to the bridge stop here also, we saw many red Star Fish and the water is amazingly calm and just beautiful but these small isolated spots are all over the island.

Don't be afraid to buy sea food from the local fisherman and cook it up on the grill!! Yum Yum

The remains of the destroyed Club Med were also very amazing but elusive...

This Island is total relaxation, if you're looking for nightlife like Cancun or other Big City Resort partying this is not the place. We came back from our trip refreshed and not exhausted... (o;

Most of all I can tell you we LOVED our trip so much we've already booked our trip for 2015!!!

Newark, Delaware
Level Contributor
17 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
39. Re: upcoming trip to Eleuthera

Walt,

Sounds like an amazing time. Did you happen to make it to Lighthouse Beach? If so, was it easy to find? Did you go to the fish fry in Governors Harbour? I hear the island is so laid back, that picking up hitchhikers is no big deal? That may take a lot to persuade my wife. Finally, how was the weather? Thanks!

Lakewood, Ohio
Level Contributor
5 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
40. Re: upcoming trip to Eleuthera

We did not make it to Light house Beach this year it's on our list for our 2015 trip. The fish fry was fabulous! The Red Snapper was delicious as were the BBQ pork Chops, the Rum Bubba's are very strong!!!

Our weather was great, rain 2hrs first day then nothing but SUN and in the 80's. The man we rented our car from said it was unseasonable hot.

We passed on picking up hitchhikers...