We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cell service - calling and receiving calls to/from Canada

Vancouver, British...
Level Contributor
60 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Cell service - calling and receiving calls to/from Canada

We are headed to Eleuthera in 3 weeks (!!) and I'm just trying to figure out what to do about cell phone service. My husband will need to be able to receive and make outgoing calls for work to/from Canada and we would like to be able to be reached by family if necessary. We both have Telus as a service provider and I have looked in to their international travel package but wondering if it will be worth it? Will the service even work there? Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Nassau, New...
Level Contributor
4,420 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Cell service - calling and receiving calls to/from Canada

3 weeks isn't long left on your 'countdown' at all - hope you have a wonderful trip!

Will you have internet where you'll be staying? I usually find that using my skype account to make calls from my laptop is the way to go.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
14 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Cell service - calling and receiving calls to/from Canada

Agreed. My partner is using skype on his cell to call home everyday. It's around 2 cents a minute.

Nova Scotia, Canada
Level Contributor
12 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cell service - calling and receiving calls to/from Canada

My husband and I have travelled several times to the out islands and we are heading to Eleuthera for the first time in 12 days. We have Telus as a provider as well and we've gotten the package and it always worked. We own our own business and need to stay in touch daily with sometimes lengthy calls. We always tell people to text or email when possible and then we use wi-fi when available. iMessage is great too if we are within range or FaceTime. The package is definitely worth it if you don't want to worry about a huge phone bill when you come home. Have fun!

Vancouver, British...
Level Contributor
60 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Cell service - calling and receiving calls to/from Canada

Thanks so much for the info! Will get the package through Telus but will try to use Skype as much as possible. Will write a trip report when we get back!

Kamloops, Canada
Level Contributor
13 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Cell service - calling and receiving calls to/from Canada

Hi BC Girl!

Me and my group will be heading to Eleu in about 3 weeks time as well (Nov 8 we will arrive). We are just up the road from you in Kamloops!

How long are you staying? What part of the island? We are aiming to hit the 'Fry on Nov 8 - maybe we will see you and your husband there?

Vancouver, British...
Level Contributor
60 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Cell service - calling and receiving calls to/from Canada

We arrive Nov 2 and are leaving Nov 8 to head to Atlantis for a friends wedding. Too bad, would have been great to meet up with some fellow BC'ers! Have a great time!

ga
Level Contributor
32 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Cell service - calling and receiving calls to/from Canada

We're arriving on Nov 2 also - flying into Nassau from Atlanta and then on to GHB.

Ontario
Level Contributor
312 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cell service - calling and receiving calls to/from Canada

My cell provider is Rogers, and they have a feature called "Rogers One Number" which is essentially Voice over IP. It allows me to make and receive calls to/from Canada through my laptop, using my (local to Toronto) phone number, without long distance charges. I can either speak through the laptop microphone, or I bring a USB headset with me, and plug that into the laptop. When I make calls to people back home, it just looks like they are receiving a call from my cell, because that is the number that they see. You just need WiFi, and to be a Rogers subscriber. I am not sure if Telus offers the same thing to their customers, but you should investigate. It comes in so handy when I have to do work or call home when travelling.

For Bahamas calls while in Eleuthera, I have an unlocked iPhone with a pay-as-you go Bahamas SIM card.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
2,277 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cell service - calling and receiving calls to/from Canada

For those with smart phones the 'Pinger' app allows free texting. Also limited free voice calls (first month free for voice calls I believe), over the internet. You wouldn't have to carry around a lap top. Of course you need a Wi-Fi signal.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
2,277 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Cell service - calling and receiving calls to/from Canada

Pinger is now giving only 10 min. free for out going calls now. All incoming calls are free.